on 17 December 2013
I have never had a tablet or laptop before and needed a small portable or tablet to take on holiday. I liked the idea of the keyboard and the detachable tablet. In general I am pleased with the SlateBook. It is slightly heavier than I thought and the connection charger and cable is bulky for travelling but apart from that it is user-friendly and has good quality colour/brightness for films/TV. The tablet detaches easily and the keyboard is perfect for long e-mails or documents as I am a touch typist and would only use the tablet screen keyboard for short messages. With Android Jellybean there is also the possibility of dictating e-mails etc which surprisingly works quite well although correcting errors takes a bit of getting used to. The tablet steals power from the base which is a bit disconcerting as the base can lose power quite quickly when joined back up to the tablet. I like the fact that the whole thing folds up neatly and looks very smart. One odd thing: the HP logo doesn't face you when you open the SlateBook - it faces the other way. Not sure why! My only other problem has been getting used to Android after being spoilt with Apple but I chose the SlateBook over the IPad in order to have a real keyboard option and facility of watching films without having to find a way of propping up the tablet. I also like the fact that the SlateBook has USB and HDMI ports which the IPad does not.
on 3 January 2014
Fantastic resiolution, great usability - haven't made much use of office type documents yet, but it seems to do everything I need it to. The apps only use was strange at first, but with practice, it starts to make sense.

Haven't found a way to use Activeinspire on it yet....I'm a teacher, so this is quite important. Powerpoint is there as an app, however.
on 13 July 2014
Lovely idea - tablet attaches to base easily. Look cool. My teenage daughter loves it. But first one came unable to start up but Amazon Seller replaced immediately . Got it replaced and it has worked OK for a couple of months now but am holding my breathe as these apparently might have a design defect if the posts on the Web are to be believed (Amazon itself had stopped selling them at the time I bought one and I think now that might have been the reason why. Perhaps it is resolved now.

I will update this review at the one year point.
on 28 March 2014
Having done a lot of research and read some less than stellar reviews, I hemmed and hawed about getting this for ages. When I saw it at a reduced price on Amazon (it was an open box item) I decided to go for it and I`m sooo glad I did. The attaced keyboard is absolutely fantastc - I`m touch-typing this review on it - and so much better than the bluetooth keyboard I had with my previous tablet. Even when mounted in a case it was still a bit of a pain to use, wouldn`t balance on my lap properly and never seemed to be at quite the right angle to watch a movie on. This keyboard is a different animal altogether. I really don`t know how they managed to squeeze a good size keyboard AND a trackpad into a tablet sized space. Editing is now a 100 times easier than trying to get the cursor between two letters using a touch screen. All the main keyboard shortcuts, like ctrl X, ctrl V, alt Tab, etc work and it also has tablet-specific keys like the home, display open apps and back. And watching movies on a screen with adjustable tilt is absolutely terrific. OK, the camera isn`t top quality and the screen has a slightly creamy hue, but that doesn`t bother me as I bought it mainly for surfing, emailing and creating/editing docs, presentations and spreadsheets - a mini-laptop really. Like a laptop, the main connections (USB and HDMI) are full size, which is really useful and has reduced my pile of cables by a third! They are all on the keyboard, however, so you`ll need that with you if you wnat to connect by anything other than bluetooth or WiFi.

So those are the pros and cons I`ve come across. This tablet is absolutely perfect for my needs for a highly transportable mini-laptop. As such it hasn`t been off my lap since I got it and has more or less replaced my full-sized laptop for most things. So, if you want a tablet for similar purposes, and a top notch camera and colour reproduction isn`t top of your priority list, I`d say just go ahead and get it - I don`t think you`ll be disappointed.
on 17 August 2015
Bought this from warehouse deals and it is really bad.

The table and base unit are over 2years old and the HP warranty expired June 2014. The keypad base unit is faulty and does not work the tablet. It looks like a pink liquid was spilt on some of the keys which possibly damaged the base.

Battery is also useless as it does not hold charge due to this being so old! It honestly looks like someone used it for a year then returned it under warrany but Amazon decided to sell it again.
on 4 May 2014
On my second after returning the first for continually freezing up. Amazon replaced the last one quickly, but unfortunately this whole model seems to be faulty. Only got round to starting it up today, started downloading apps and already frozen. Makes me so angry that amazon just resend out junk rather than fixing the issue or offering a refund.
on 6 March 2015
stopped working after a week with what seems a common problem of not being able to charge up.
on 7 July 2015
Good:
Nice, full-HD screen (1920*1080)
Very good performance
Keyboard is small but actually very usable
Full size USB and HDMI ports
Two sd card slots, one micro-sd in the tablet and one full-size sd in the base.

Bad:
Stuck on an older version of Android and no real hope of an upgrade
Heavy. With the base it weighs over 1kg which is a lot for such a small device.
Battery life isn't great. Tablet alone has very mediocre battery life. Combined with the base it lasts a respectable amount of time (~7hrs) but still not as long as I'd expect for a device with 2 batteries.
on 13 May 2014
found out on HP forum this machine has known issues with failure to charge :( even tried the suggested workarounds ...sooooooooooooo disappointed that what looked like a quality build and a great format has not had this issue corrected. am a gadget head from waay back and have never in 20 years had a DOA... HP needs to wake UP and FIX THIS ISSUE!
on 30 October 2014
I can not charge the slatebook x2,charger does not working,I can not turn on the tablet because need power,maybe it is faulty to,very very unsatisfied.