5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down...
Looking at other reviews, feedback was very mixed. For my part, I loved this book. I could not put it down, reading great chunks of it at a time.

It’s a whodunit, mixed with a love story with some laugh out loud moments thrown in (think Writer’s Mom conversations and “poor Bobbie”).

If I compare it to some of the other recent...
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

I was really looking forward to this book, I thought the premise was good: a successful author struggling with his second book comes to the rescue of his friend and mentor, Harry Quebert. Harry is accused of the murder of a 15 year old girl whom he is in love with. The body of the girl was discovered in Harry's back garden 33 years after she went missing...
Published 10 months ago by Sandra Foy

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought the premise was good: a successful author struggling with his second book ..., 4 July 2014
Sandra Foy "Sandra" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)

Unfortunately the book did not live up to the premise. The writing is appalling. At first I thought something had maybe been lost in translation, but I don't think everything can be blamed on the translator.

There is no depth to any of the characters. You should really be shocked that a 15 year old girl has been brutally murdered and her body lost for 33 years, but because you know nothing about the girl except, 'she likes dancing on the beach and feeding seagulls', you really don't care one jot.

The dialogue is childish in the extreme. The scenes with Marcus' mother are nothing short of embarrassing and if they are meant as a joke; fail miserably.

There is a character who has been badly disfigured and instead of telling the reader that he has a speech impediment and allowing the reader to use his imagination, the author writes his speeches throughout the book phonetically. It is cringeworthy. I could not read them. Having to skim over them all just to be able to get the gist of what he was saying.

Marcus decides to investigate the murder himself, so he can clear Harry's name. The police very kindly let him get on with it. Giving him access to all kinds of evidence and in the end they join his investigation.

There are so many twists in the book that when you get to the final one you really have lost the will to live and just want the book to end.

How to sum up this book?
I did manage to finish it. Although very glad when I did. I am mystified as to how it has managed to win awards. If the author has played it for laughs then he has seriously misjudged it. The only time I laughed was on the last writers' tip, given to Marcus by Harry. It said 'a good book is a book you are sorry to finish, and that really did make me laugh.

It does have the makings of a good story and he does keep it moving although there is some repetitiveness. If you can excuse the bad writing and dialogue you may well enjoy it. It could be a good book club choice, it would certainly provoke discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down..., 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)

If I compare it to some of the other recent “overhyped” books that I’ve read – The Luminaries / The Goldfinch - this was my favourite of the three. My feeling was that they flagged in the final 10-20%, whereas this still felt fresh, although perhaps, ended with one or two plot twists too many.

Overall though, it was a brilliant read.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Truth About Harry Que-BORE, 9 July 2014
Beyond disappointing, it's a crime it was ever written. I bought this much-hyped book after reading a review on a site I normally trust but, oh dear. It sounded so good, but if you want to read abysmal writing with the world's most annoying characters, this is the one for you!

There is nothing and no one to like in this sorry tale - is it just me or were all the characters as dumb as a box of rocks? I'm surprised Gahalowood managed to find his way home, let alone solve anything remotely resembling a crime. It took me so long to wade through the tedious story that by the end I couldn't care less who killed Nola. In fact, I can't even be bothered to write another word about it, my review title says it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining!, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair, by JoŽl Dicker is an international, award-winning bestseller and was the European publishing sensation of 2013, when it sold a million copies in France, and knocked Dan Brown’s “Inferno” off the top of Europe’s bestseller lists. It was published in the United States on May 27th 2014, and was one of the biggest original acquisitions in the history of Penguin Books.

It has been translated from the original French into 32 languages, and has been called “the cleverest, creepiest book you’ll read this year”–I wholeheartedly agreed with that statement; there were several nights when I had to stop reading because I was wondering what was lurking in the shadows! The book has been compared to “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”, and the television series “Twin Peaks”.

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair kept me guessing right up to the end; anyone could have been the murderer. There are two stories running through the book: first is the murder mystery and second is the friendship between Marcus Goldman and his mentor, Harry Quebert. Harry is accused of murdering 15 year old Nola Kellergan, who has been dead for 33 years. Marcus is determined to clear Harry’s name, but he opens a literal Pandora’s box of secrets where nothing is as it seems.

The characters were well drawn, and I particularly liked the friendship between Harry and Marcus. My only quibble is that it was a little too long at 657 pages. However, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader entertained: highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Smart crime and punishment, 21 July 2014
Joey VanB (Cumbria England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)
I read some of this book in the original French and some in English. As an exercise in vocabulary development of the former it could be described as useful. As a novel or creative endeavour I found it wanting. If you like your novels slick and smart as a frothy cappuccino then look no further; this is a cleverly constructed whodunit,no argument. If on the other hand you seek more substantial fare then look elsewhere.Dostoevsky this is not. It does not come close to Donna Tartt or Henning Mankel. For me it lacked any serious content or literary soul.

3.0 out of 5 stars Those of you expecting wonderful prose, with fully fleshed out characters will not ..., 20 May 2015
T. A. Wood "tdoubleyou" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
There are a lot of 5 stars reviews here, and a fair few 1 star reviews. This book falls in the middle of the two. A word of warning, this is NOT a literary classic, it is a page turning romp. Those of you expecting wonderful prose, with fully fleshed out characters will not find them here - what you will find is a very well paced murder-mystery with pastiche characters and cliched dialogue.
It is wonderfully self aware, and only when you get to the acknowledgements at the end will you understand what you've just read - from that perspective Dicker has done something different, but it doesn't excuse the lazy writing. The story itself is good, but you would swear that Dicker himself has never been in love as the relationship between Harry and Nola seems utterly shallow and unbelievable - one need only read the English Patient to see how love can be conveyed.
Reviews describe this as Twin Peaks-esque, a masterpiece, the greatest book of the year, etc, etc - don't believe the hype. Read it, enjoy it, but be aware that the critics reviews are a genius bit of marketing (one that Barnaski himself would be proud of).

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of rubbish!, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)
I read the sample and could not believe that a book sold with such hype could really be that bad. Stupidly, I bought the wretched book before reading reviews written by those who were not part of the absurd hype. I hope that I might just have saved some face by stopping reading after reaching the 20% mark. I have even deleted the book from my Kindle. This is the second time that I have heard about a book on a BBC programme and the second time that I have been fooled by the hype. Never, ever again!

2.0 out of 5 stars false hope, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)
i had great hopes of this book. the basic outline was promising. but unfortunately the writing does not live up to the plot. this book needs merciless editing. tje plot meanders and twists repetitively, every time resolution is near, a completely random event or discovery sets the story off in a new direction. the writing is clunky,
the exchanges betwee the two main characters frankly unbelievable. the "wisdom" relayed from senior to junior writer is cliched and uninspiring. i got the sense that there was an attempt to pose these comments as some kind of meta-commentary on the story as it unfolded, trying something clever but failing because the writing is just so bad. i read til the bitter end and was relieved when that end came. there are intriguing ideas about storytelling and authorship here, but they need a more elegant wordsmith to do them justice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it !!!!!!, 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair (Kindle Edition)
Confession - I am only half way through this piece of junk but in case I expire from boredom before I get to the end I just wanted to say that , IMHO this is such badly written tripe that I cannot believe people have been calling it a masterpiece !! The detective ( as many other reviewers have commented) could not find his socks let alone solve a murder. The characters are dull beyond belief, the dialogue is an insult to Dan Brown ( and that is saying something!) and the level of detail that the author seems to think the reader requires to work out was is going on is ridiculous. I think any reader would happily clobber Nora to death with a copy of this stupid book !!

1.0 out of 5 stars utterly bad. Words, 29 Sept. 2014
When this book was talked about on Radio 4's 'Front Row' I found the plot line intriguing and thought it sounded promising. I decided to read it in French, being bilingual, especially as some of the Amazon reviews talked about 'stilted language'. After all a lot depends on the translation.
All I can say is, I really felt sorry for the translator. This is unbelievably, utterly bad. Words, in fact, fail me. Puerile, repetitive, idiotic. I kept on till the end though and heaved a huge sigh of relief. Such a waste of time!