5.0 out of 5 stars Loved loved loved, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
Just loved everything about that serie, its not just some love story, its about finding ourselves. Im sure a lot of people will be able to identify themselves through these caracter. Its funny, theres drama, theres love, theres everything you need and nothing not to like!

4.0 out of 5 stars We're back in Brooklyn with a bang!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
After completely falling in love with Pia from the first book in the Brooklyn Girls series, I have been on tenterhooks waiting for second book and I was thrilled to know it was going to be about Angie.

Dark, Mysterious, Troublesome Angie who has a passion for fashion and a mouth like a sewer. Love her!Following her as she tries to grow up and get a proper job before her 23rd birthday, we see her fall from a great height when she wakes up naked and alone in a hotel room with no idea how she got there and an envelope containing £3000. Sad and desperate after falling out with her best friends/housemates for her wild ways she turns to friend, rich boy and slimeball Seth for a pick me up and party.

It was so lovely being back in Brooklyn with the girls and Vic. It really felt as if I'd never been away. I can honestly say Gemma never does disappoint. Her ability to create as much drama as imaginable and still be able to somehow keep spinning off twists, turns, laughter, sadness, friendship, loyalty, families, and you guessed it more drama is truly amazing. It is honestly a jam packed read full of absolutely everything. You might be thinking whats everything? well, grab a copy and you'll see exactly what everything is.
The book ties in fantastic with the first and to me that is key to a good series. It was a great that even though this book is about Angie, that we still get to see Pia, Madeleine, Julia, and Coco's life's carry on forward too.
I did have one issue with heroine Angie mind, even though her character is well written and documented I could not connect with her that good. At first I thought it because she's quite frosty and bitchy, who cares for no one but herself, but I knew deep down that wasn't the issue. You could see how damaged she was even in book one and I had faith that she would be a beautiful person underneath. The problem was that I could not picture her in my head. I tried so many times, but failed. I even attempted constantly taking glimpses of the front cover to use that image as her, but it just wasn't right. So as much as I was engrossed in the plot or plots I should say and loving it I was always slightly detached and that put a huge dampener on the book for me unfortunately. I'm trying not to let that get me down though because I know that Coco is up next with book three and I seriously cannot wait!

4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn Girls: Angie - Gemma Burgess, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
Originally posted at Miss Inga Page.

Gemma Burgess has done it again! I reviewed Brooklyn Girls last summer, as a new graduate, with absolutely no idea where my life was headed. Therefore, when Quercus asked me if I would like to read and review the sequel, which tells Angie’s story, I couldn’t resist. That was simply on the back of how much I could relate to Pia’s journey… without even considering the fact that I’m twenty-two, and still have no firm plans for what I’m going to be doing with my life when I get back to England in September. I think it is safe to say that the Brooklyn Girls series deals with something I can totally sympathise with!

The angst and stress that accompanies the level of unknown of this part of a young person’s life is something that I think Burgess captures perfectly, and which I think is heavily under-represented in literature! I am fully aware of the new “New Adult” genre which has sprung up… but in my opinion, this often deals primarily with new-found freedom and, if we’re being frank, large amounts of sex. It doesn’t capture the fear of “what-the-hell-am-I-doing-with-my-life” alongside the horror of “I-have-no-money-and-may-have-to-move-back-in-with-my-parents” that Burgess so accurately presents!

When we are first introduced to Angie, she is having lunch with her mother, who breaks some news to her which sets Angie off on a self-destructive path, from which only she can rescue herself. Angie’s story takes place a few months after Pia’s story ended, although I don’t think it is necessary to have read Pia’s story first. Burgess introduces each of the characters and their situations from Angie’s perspective, and in such a way that you feel as if you know them already, even if you do not. Many of the major climaxes of the first novel are skimmed over, as they aren’t relevant to Angie’s and their absence explained through the friendship dynamics that are present. As a result, I never felt lost. I think Burgess has got the balance right here – something which I often struggle with in series, as I suffer seriously from what I like to term “book amnesia”: I can get half way through a book and still have no idea what happened in the previous instalment. This didn’t feel like an issue here!

Strangely, given some of the issues that Angie faces at the beginning of the novel – and which I have got absolutely no experience with – I found her plight to be very relatable. In Pia’s story, I recall that I didn’t really warm to Angie (largely as a result of the afore-mentioned things that I have no experience of) and found her to be fairly dislikeable. However, reading a narrative from her point of view, and from which I could see her development, she really grew on me. I will admit that there were points at which she totally baffled me, and at which she seemed to be very blasé about serious situations, which bothered me… However, she is damaged, and just seems to be wanting to get her life back on track, which I can only see as an admirable trait. My heart broke for her on multiple occasions, and I genuinely wanted her to succeed. She felt human. She was three-dimensional, and she made mistakes, and I found her plight to be absolutely riveting. As with Pia’s story, the narrative became a little far-fetched at times, but I felt that this instalment was much more grounded in a basic reality that I understood, and so this didn’t detract from my experience.

I’m very conscious of the fact that this is already very long, and about avoiding spoilers for both this book, and for Pia’s story, so I will wrap up shortly… But I can’t leave it without mentioning Sam. Sam is SUCH a sweetheart! This may be balanced out by my hatred for many of the other male figures in the novel, such as Stef, or Gabriel, or Ethan… But I fell a little bit in love with him. He seemed so sincere, and I loved the friendship that formed between Sam and Angie over the course of the novel. He seemed to genuinely care about her welfare and the ease with which they related was refreshing. I also felt a familiarity with Angie and her feelings throughout the novel, and watching her trying to convince herself one way or the other was a fantastic use of the first person narrative style. I really felt that I got to know Angie in this way, and I was rooting for her as a result. Sam may well be this year’s Billy Buskin! It will be a tough run to compete with this one! If only he had a real-life counterpart, hey!?

I really appreciate the way that Burgess doesn’t simply present relationships as easy, and that there are struggles in which you don’t actually know how they will end, or if there will be a happy ending. At the same time, tensions do not feel as though they are there simply to drive up the word count. They have a purpose!

Before I finish, can we please just take a minute to revel in the level of detail within this book? Just to take one example… at the beginning of the book, there is a yacht which is called the “Hamartia”. In Aristotle’s Poetics, he defines some of the key features of the Greek tragedy. One of these is “hamartia”, also known as the hero’s fatal flaw. In other words, it is an error of judgement or mistake that the character makes which negatively influences the events that follow. At the end of the book, there is another yacht: the “Peripety” which I can only assume is a reference to “peripataeia,” another Ancient Greek term which refers to a reversal of fortunes which typically comes after a major revelation. In the course of the novel, this seems particularly apt. Now, I never thought that my English AS Level coursework would come in useful when reading contemporary Young Adult fiction… but there is, surely, no way that this is a coincidence! If I am totally over-reading this, I am terribly sorry… but for me, this has just driven Brooklyn Girls, and Gemma Burgess, wayyyy up in my estimations! There are levels to this novel. It is incredibly clever, without being overbearing, and I think that this is testament to Burgess’ ability as a writer!

Brooklyn Girls: Angie was a fantastic read, and just what I needed in between all of the academic stresses that I have going on right now. I loved every page, and have already recommended it to friends. Whether you are struggling in the post-graduation phase of your life, or not, there is something for everyone… and Sam may well be my favourite male character of all the books I have read in 2014, so far. He is a definite contender for the top “newest fictional crush” space in the End of Year Book Survey 2014!

Coco’s story is the next instalment in the series, and after reading this instalment, I cannot wait to see things from her perspective. There is, quite clearly, a whole lot more going on under the surface than Coco has previously let on, and I NEED to find out more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
Good read, One of the best chick-flicks ever !!! Reminds me of my girls that are just the best there could be

4.0 out of 5 stars nice read, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, I liked it more than the one about Pia. When I read the first book of the series Angie seemed quite a difficult person. Here you understand why sometimes she behaves like if she doesn't care when really she is a lovely person. Can't wait to read the next one and find out all about COCO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
I love these books, not wanted to put them down.
Have loved the story line and how close these girls are. I have enjoyed every book of gemma Burgess and will continue when the coco story comes out. Excited to read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
Gemma Burgess, where do we start? She’s a fantastic author who gets better with every single book she writes. I absolutely LOVED the first book in the Brooklyn Girls series which was Pia’s story and when I heard about Angie’s story, I had my worries that it wouldn’t live up to the very high expectations – but guess what, it did! Okay, so maybe I did prefer Pia’s story but that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy Angie’s.

From the very first page, Angie’s voice is strong, clear and individual. She’s on the verge of turning 23, living with her best friends in New York City but for some reason, she’s not happy. Her mature attitude allows her to sound a lot older than 22, however, there are quite a few times when she acts like a little spoilt brat, constantly wanting attention. Angie is witty and a friend who will really care about you, your boyfriend and your entire life.

When Angie meets Sam, it’s as if they’ve known each other for years. A couple of times, I had to stop reading and think about when they first met. With Gemma’s captivating words and descriptions, it’s easy to feel like Sam has been a friend of Angie’s since they were little. For me, I didn’t mind if they stayed friends or became romantically involved with each other because either way, I knew Sam would bring out the very best in Angie. That’s what I love about Gemma’s books – all the characters have a purpose.
By the time the narrative has come to an end, we’re left wanting more.

I can’t wait for the next book in the series which will be about Coco and her girly lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but great, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls (Paperback)
I adore Gemma Burgess. Her previous 2 books are starting to look like they were written at about the same time as the bible as I've read them so often! Brooklyn Girls is somewhat different to these, they are for young adults and its noticeable but certainly not in a bad way, Harry Potter was for children, after all.

Pia is a very loveable character, every which way she turns, she'll manage to mess up! The way it's written portrays the angst and fear of being that age beautifully, it took me right back to some shameful moments of my youth and you truly cringe for Pia on many an occasion, but sympathise too, because most of us can relate!

I was left feeling like i'd gone ten rounds with myself from 15 years ago, slightly dazed but with an optimism that will not be squashed! Brooklyn Girls totally sucked me in, I feel like I live with them!

Looking forward to Angie's story, lets not leave the next one so long hey Ms Burgess?! Or I may have a spectacular tantrum. For realz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Addictive and Downright Awesome, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Brooklyn Girls: Angie (Kindle Edition)
I need to know what happens next, Gemma Burgess makes such an interesting read. One which I can relate to pretty well. Angies life is fast paced which makes this an absolute page turner. (Oh and Gemma, if you ever read this, PLEASE continue the Brooklyn Girls series and thank you in advance!

Brooklyn Girls: Angie