on 15 January 2014
I bought this to replace the nearly-full and rather tired 320GB drive in my 2008 iMac, and with the help of an excellent youtube vid on how to replace the drive, it was surprisingly simple (iMac's are particularly fiddly to work on!). Installed it, uploaded it with the latest update from my time machine drive and was good to go in 2 hours or so!

It has given me a huge increase in storage (as expected) but I haven't seen any particular increase in boot time (which is still about 43 seconds) - I'm not sure whether the OS will eventually move on to the cached part of the drive or not, but 43 seconds isn't too bad anyway - but I have noticed the applicaitons I run most, which are Photoshop, FCE and of course Safari, now load up pretty much instantly by comparison to the olden days!

I did a time-test to boot, start Photoshop, start FCE and start Mail, and the old drive took 2mins 55 to get to this stage. With the new drive, having loaded these all a few times so they migrate to the speedy bit, time to do all three was 1 min 10 seconds, and bearing in mind 43 of those were the OS boot, that's a massive improvement!

Delivery was really quick (like a doofus, I mistakenly originally ordered the 2.5" version of this, but Amazon were clinically efficient about taking it back!) and the new one arrived quickly and well packaged. If it's for an iMac, YOU NEED THE 3.5!!! (duh!)

Really pleased - both the service and the product are better than expected.
on 8 June 2015
I wanted to give my 6 year old PC a bit of a speed boost and after reading several reviews decided on this Seagate over a full solid state drive ( I will wait till they come down in price a bit more ).

Good job I did as old hard drive 'died' on me. Replaced original drive on newer PC with this one .... and yes it does speed up your boot up times and other frequently used software ... but it takes a few days of use to come into full effect.

No problems with Windows 8.1 installation.

Very well packed & protected by seller.

As usual with Seagate drive build quality and downloadable software very good. May get larger 2 or 4gb when money allows.

Rare, for me, 5 star review given.
on 16 August 2015
Most of the performance of a SSD, with the storage capacity of a conventional hard disk - what's not to like? Bear in mind though that you are only getting the bare drive, with no mounting hardware, documentation or set-up/copying software. The absence of screws/brackets etc won't be a problem if you are simply replacing an existing drive, but if you want to add it alongside the old drive you might need a few bits and bobs. Easy-to-use drive copying software is available to download from the Seagate website, allowing you to simply clone the old drive with all its partitions (including hidden/system/restore partitions), then you can simply swap over the connectors and start using the new one - optionally re-formatting the old drive to use as extra storage if you like. There are also How-To guides and videos on the Seagate website showing you how to install and set up the new drive.

Once installed, the drive appears just like any other hard disk, with all the clever stuff going on inside it. Simple! Also worth bearing in mind that it may take a little while (i.e. several boot/use/shutdown cycles) for the drive's smart internal software to "learn" which data to store in the flash memory and which to leave on the mechanical storage.
on 7 November 2014
After some installation issues (easily fixed with a quick Google and reading instructions!) this has been a wonderful addition to my PC - I can now happy store all my media on one drive, using the others for backups. I'm a casual user and so haven't benchmarked or measured it's speed, but it is speedy enough with no noticeable lag for me. Would recommend to anyone looking to expand their storage that has a compatible OS
on 5 September 2013
As I have a startup crowded with applications that I cannot possibly live without, my average time for everything to be ready to go was 3.5 minutes. When booting from this drive, that l-o-n-g wait has been reduced to 35 seconds as the drive loads commonly used programs into solid state memory, making startup and access times to these programs faster.

I'm really impressed with it as a new addition to my growing PC. As I use it and learn more, I'll update this review if necessary.

So far though, well worth considering.
on 13 September 2015
I installed it in my PS4 (to everyone who thinks you can't install 3.5 inch HDD into PS4, because it takes only 2.5 inch into caddy - you can get yourself SATA extension cable, cheapest HDD enclosure and connect the HDD externally!)
This hard drive is a beast! It's quieter than PS4, so you don't really hear a thing, especially mine is located behind the telly, and when I sit on the couch you don't hear a thing.
Drive is also twice as fast as stock PS4 drive - it took me 8 hrs to make a full backup from the stock HDD and only 4 hrs to make full backup from my 4TB SSHD.
Loading times in games are also noticeably improved.
review image review image review image
on 11 November 2013
Was worried about buying it and not seeing any improvement on boot time + program/game loadings, boy was i wrong. definite improvement, will be purchasing again in the future
on 21 May 2015
I got this for my game install drive. Previously I had been using an SSD for Windows, a few games and programs, and also 500GB and 400GB 7200RPM Hard Drives for games. The speed is noticeably faster than the standard Hard Drives were, it does however take a couple of loads before the SSHD learns what you use most though, but when it does it is great. Obviously it isn't as fast as an SSD, but it is also nowhere near the price of one but still has masses of storage. For the small price premium over a HDD of the same price they are definitely worth it.

The increasing size of game installs is what pushed me to get this rather than another SSD - GTA 5 and Battlefield 4 are both 60+ GB each, Elder Scrolls Online is 100GB+. It makes sense to use one of these.
on 19 June 2014
Excellent product that speeds Windows 7 boot phenomenally fast. I suspect that my system tools programme did not fully understand its philosophy as it continually wanted to do a de-fragmentation. Left it to Windows to work it out and it's fine now.
on 7 March 2015
I was worried about the packaging given previous reviews, but it arrived well packaged with 2 boxes, padding and plastic "shock protectors".

Cloning from the system disk (500GB) to this one took about 40 minutes over USB3 and this was in the PC and running within an hour. Plenty of room for system and 2 data partitions. Almost as fast as a "real" SSD for boot times and very quiet so far.