Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 February 2014
as a big who fan i've had this in my collection for years but this c.d. is extra special.I've always liked every thing about the Tommy story.wold recommend you get this ASAP
on 25 June 2004
People can argue for years what the greatest album in the world is: in the category, there of course would be "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys, "Sgt Pepper", "Revolver" by the Beatles, "A Night At The Opera" by Queen, and of course "Tommy" by the Who. but you are never really going to get a proper answer. Which is why I consider these albums and many more be some of the greatest albums to ever be created.
Tommy is a great brilliant masterpiece and don't let anyone tell you any different because it really blew me away on first listen and keeps continuing to do so.
Tommy was rock's first opera, made into one of the greatest films, and consists of some of the greatest genius ever put into an album.
From first listen, you can tell it is a conceptg, based around a deaf, dumb and blind kid called Tommy, who masters Pinball. Not only do you have some great songs here, but some great instrumental work that has not been seen before or since. Pete Townsend really created some of the greatest work ever.
There are many songs on this record and some are more recognisable then others: "Christmas", "The Acid Queen", "Go To The Mirror!", and of course "Pinball Wizard". But when put together with the rest of the album, everything sounds like perfection. It is not an album where you just play your favourite tracks and leave the rest out. Everything has got to be played all the way through and sometimes you have to play it over again just to feel that magic again.
It doesn't matter what you think the greatest album is: "Tommy" definetly comes into mine. I don't know where I would be without it. I play it again and again never getting tired of it because like every other great album, there is always something new to find in it. If you go and buy it now, you certainly will not be dissapointed.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2007
When I first came across this album in the mid 1970s, I shared some of the feelings of other reviewers , namely that it was less exciting or interesting than, say, "Who's Next", or "Quadrophenia". However, as I got older and my music tastes evolved, this is probably the Who album I play most often. Why? Well, it is a complete piece, musically and lyrically, and the playing is excellent, the lines memorable and, to be frank, there is much less posturing than some of the "meatier" albums. I would point out that, contradicting what another reviewer said, they play extracts in many of their shows to this day - their recent tour saw excellent performances of "Sparks", "Amazing Journey", "Pinball Wizard" and "See me Feel Me".

I would recommend unhesitatingly. I would also recommend to get an diea of the power of this album live, to get "The Who Live at the isle of Wight 1969" DVD.
on 1 January 2014
Brilliant tracks-fantastic vocals-superior songwriting talent-what a band-what a great addition to this fans collection, buy it or never know perfection !!!!!
on 31 May 2016
BLINK AND THIS ONE WILL CATCH YOU. ITS MORE THAN THE SUM OF THE PARTS, MORE THAN THE MOVIE, AND LIKE ALOT OF THE WHOS WORK DESERVES LISTENING TO AS RECORDED.
on 31 July 2014
love the Who - need I say more
on 31 December 2013
a classic of our time , time does not age quality. prompt fast delivery from amazon ,will use again as very few music stores on the high street exist
on 8 September 2010
I have recently bought a SACD player, and obviously decided to buy some old favourites, as well as being able to play some stuff like the Genesis remastered box sets and multi format releases. Having always been a huge Who fan and defended Tommy in the face of criticism (being the first Rock Opera; Quaprophenia was better as a concept piece, etc) I have to say that the mix on this both for 5.1 and onto SACD format is a revelation. The nearest thing to having Townshend et al playing in your living room. If you want an excuse to buy a SACD player, and believe me they take some getting use to in terms of sound, price, and availability of CDs; then this is the one!!
on 8 March 2014
Touch me, feel me, heal me...this must be the definitive edition of a classic. Essential in any self-respecting Who collection.
on 22 March 2015
Geat box set of sound,art and words. All describing the conception and making of tommy.I would say possibly for fans only.