5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance!
Haken's previous two albums have caused quite a stir but in a fairly small pond. Maybe now that they're in the Inside Out stable things will begin to take off in the way the band deserves.

Published 10 months ago by Graeme

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Album but forgettable and mechanical
Well this is my first Haken album and my expectations were very high, but I was rather disappointed when I first listened to it. After 3 or 4 more listens, the only track that I could recollect was 'cockroach king', which is excellent. I found the songs lacking in emotion, particularly the vocals (with the exception of a couple of tracks). However, these criticisms aside,...
Published 5 months ago by Charlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance!, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)

The Mountain is just over an hour of absolute musical brilliance. There's a mix of quiet and loud, long and short, sometimes with a touch of humour, all delivered by an immensely capable band.

We start off with a hymn before exploding into action. That action takes us through jazz, metal, pop, ballad with varying vocal delivery techniques and an array of instruments. There are numerous references to early prog., but more than anything there is a clear statement of where a band as talented as Haken can take modern prog.

I think this album will continue to get better with repeated listenings. There's so much detail in the content that it's going to take multiple listens to get everything that's in there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone have any doubts?, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Making each new album different from previous but as good is not an easy task especially if these previous releases are of stellar quality. Good news - Haken did it again! Personally I found "The Mountain" less "metallic" than previous two issues - more into old school prog of 70-ties. This is what in my opinion makes it different from "Aquarius" and "Visions" but just as enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
I'm probably one of the few people my age who know about this band. My kids turned me on to them and they stand toe to toe with my great heroes, Yes Genesis, King Crimson etc. This band and this album are fantastic. I love both the melodies and the execution of those melodies with their musical talent. I love how they can be so melodic and so insane in a good way with the time signatures. For me it's a throw back to the 70's prog rock music which I think is a good thing. Anyway I'm glad I own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog at it's best, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mountain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This album brings the best of all kinds of prog. All major influences are here such as Queen, Radiohead, Yes, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater and others. But the band genuinely creates and doesn't copy. Strongly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog Album of the year?, 30 Nov 2013
Richard Easton "TrickyDicky" (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mountain (MP3 Download)
The best yet from Haken.
There's beauty, complexity, subtlety and power aplenty here.
Standout tracks:
Atlas Stone, Cockroach King & Paredolia
Also rans:
None, they're all good!

Some people might call Haken 'the British Dream Theater'; but they're better than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Picked this album up from my Amazon recommendations at 5am this morning and after 2 listen throughs I think this is my band discovery of 2013... and it's November! Complex arrangements with superb musicianship, great variations between heavy and melodic, vocal and instrumental sections, solo and harmonies... Modern prog rock at its very best. Some influences are discernible (e.g. Gentle Giant on one track) but they never feel derivative. I've ordered their 2 earlier albums already.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mountain of an album, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
This is the best album I have heard in a long time. The music has a beauty and depth that is very rare. It is also quite original; there are a wide range of influences, but all woven togher into an expressive whole. Magical!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best materials that I have order!, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Haken has an amazing return with this album, It's a luxury to my ears how they changed their style but keeping the distintive elements from the past two records, and many influences from de 70's like Gentle Giant or King Crimson. I don't have so much to say, only that if you are a Prog listener you have to listen this beautiful piece of art.

The delivery period and the quality of the order is so good, Im very satisfied, only 15 days passed to have the album in my hands, from the UK to Mexico that's a really short time, I'm amazed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Progressive forever, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
This is tha proof that there is progressive life beyond Dream Theater. I recomend this album if you are looking for something good in progressive life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality British Prog Band., 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Enjoying this album very much, If you like Opeth, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation and Spocks Beard, then don't hesitate, buy this Album. Excellent !!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›