5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance!
Haken's previous two albums have caused quite a stir but in a fairly small pond. Maybe now that they're in the Inside Out stable things will begin to take off in the way the band deserves.

Published 15 months ago by Graeme

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Album but forgettable and mechanical
Well this is my first Haken album and my expectations were very high, but I was rather disappointed when I first listened to it. After 3 or 4 more listens, the only track that I could recollect was 'cockroach king', which is excellent. I found the songs lacking in emotion, particularly the vocals (with the exception of a couple of tracks). However, these criticisms aside,...
Published 9 months ago by Charlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance!, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)

The Mountain is just over an hour of absolute musical brilliance. There's a mix of quiet and loud, long and short, sometimes with a touch of humour, all delivered by an immensely capable band.

We start off with a hymn before exploding into action. That action takes us through jazz, metal, pop, ballad with varying vocal delivery techniques and an array of instruments. There are numerous references to early prog., but more than anything there is a clear statement of where a band as talented as Haken can take modern prog.

I think this album will continue to get better with repeated listenings. There's so much detail in the content that it's going to take multiple listens to get everything that's in there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
I'm probably one of the few people my age who know about this band. My kids turned me on to them and they stand toe to toe with my great heroes, Yes Genesis, King Crimson etc. This band and this album are fantastic. I love both the melodies and the execution of those melodies with their musical talent. I love how they can be so melodic and so insane in a good way with the time signatures. For me it's a throw back to the 70's prog rock music which I think is a good thing. Anyway I'm glad I own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Picked this album up from my Amazon recommendations at 5am this morning and after 2 listen throughs I think this is my band discovery of 2013... and it's November! Complex arrangements with superb musicianship, great variations between heavy and melodic, vocal and instrumental sections, solo and harmonies... Modern prog rock at its very best. Some influences are discernible (e.g. Gentle Giant on one track) but they never feel derivative. I've ordered their 2 earlier albums already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog at it's best, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Mountain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This album brings the best of all kinds of prog. All major influences are here such as Queen, Radiohead, Yes, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater and others. But the band genuinely creates and doesn't copy. Strongly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
It is a good many years since I have heard an album like this. What we have here is a prog rock album in the proper sense; this is to say one which takes the music in new and interesting directions. It does not sound like an old 70s band or a modern prog metal outfit. There are elements of the greats from all of these genres in evidence here. I was immediately reminded of Gentle Giant a great great band from the 70s in places but only in terms of their fearlessness in incorporating all sorts of different elements into the music. The musicianship is astonishing and there is a real gift for melody on many of these songs. Stand-outs for me were Cockroach King, Atlas Stone and Falling Back To Earth; there are no weak tracks.
The chances are that if you are checking out the reviews of this you are considering buying, you really should this is a modern classic!

Footnote - after playing it to death I checked out the two earlier Haken Albums, they are good but not in the same class. This album is a giant leap forward for this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog Album of the year?, 30 Nov 2013
Richard Easton "TrickyDicky" (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mountain (MP3 Download)
The best yet from Haken.
There's beauty, complexity, subtlety and power aplenty here.
Standout tracks:
Atlas Stone, Cockroach King & Paredolia
Also rans:
None, they're all good!

Some people might call Haken 'the British Dream Theater'; but they're better than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mountain of an album, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
This is the best album I have heard in a long time. The music has a beauty and depth that is very rare. It is also quite original; there are a wide range of influences, but all woven togher into an expressive whole. Magical!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone have any doubts?, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
Making each new album different from previous but as good is not an easy task especially if these previous releases are of stellar quality. Good news - Haken did it again! Personally I found "The Mountain" less "metallic" than previous two issues - more into old school prog of 70-ties. This is what in my opinion makes it different from "Aquarius" and "Visions" but just as enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three is a Charm, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
I bought "Visions" first, then "Aquarius" after I had been completely blown away by "Visions". I was also really pleased that a really good, original, British prog band had made the grade, albeit only recognised by too few people.

So I was waiting to see if they would bring out a third album, and if they did would it live up to the high bar set by "Visions".

Along came "The Mountain" and Haken had answered me with a very loud "OH YES!". From the first track to the last I was impressed. The favourites for me are "Cockroach King", "Atlas Stone" and "Falling Back to Earth". I haven't stopped listening to this superb album.

With this CD, Haken have secured their rightful place in Prog Royalty. They have even been given a good few pages in this months Prog Rock mag.

One last thing...BUY THIS ALBUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cockroach King of Kings, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
The Mountain is a brilliant album of mixtures of fantastic ideas and refreshing a genre that was beginning to get a bit stale, The band have thrown themselves in to this project with Lavish arrangements and Everything from Metally guitar to Barber Shop Quartet. Jazz Moog solos and Brilliantly tasty bass guitar lines all the way through on the six string bass wonder The drums are energetic and fun to listen to as well and the vocals are performed with Vigor and delicacy when required, The band is a very dynamic and eclectic band with some really magnificent performances on this album it really does require a listening to. It is something special not only is all the above in the album but the album is also catchy and memerable All in all a future classic album no doubt get it on vinyl with the cd if you can it even better then

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›