5.0 out of 5 stars Good Endgame Puzzles, 24 Aug 2013
G. Blackburn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tactics in the Endgame (Kindle Edition)
A nice selection of endgame tactical puzzles requiring the best move possible whether it be checkmate or capturing to gain a material advantage. The puzzle are nicely mixed, increasing with difficulty which makes the required solution more of a challenge and the puzzle more enjoyable. I like the layout which also has the answers follow each puzzle.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1500 grading here I come! (Hopefully), 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tactics in the Endgame (Kindle Edition)
I was tipped off to this book on twitter by the author of the excellent Tactics Time! 1001 Chess Tactics from the Games of Everyday Chess Players and this seems to be more of the same type of thing. I managed to increase my lowly Chess Scotland grade by almost 200 points last season and won my club U1500 Championship, and I think a lot of the credit for the improvement goes to "Tactics Time". I did, however, draw 6 games in a row - I should have won all of them- due to fluffing the endgame. Hopefully this new book will help me sort that flaw out.
And it is free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tactics in the Endgame (Kindle Edition)
I really like this guys' apps so I was expecting something decent - I wasn't disappointed!

The idea is nothing new, a series of tactics exercises, but the simple layout and interesting positions make this book a joy to work through.

The emphasis of course is on the endgame but working through these exercises will improve tactical ability in general. Just work through the book again and again until the solutions can be spotted instantly.

The layout is straightforward, at least on my Android tablet, with the exercise on one page and the solution on the next. This simple format allows the reader to concentrate fully on the positions themselves.

Highly recommended...