Don't really understand all the negative reactions to this release.
I think it.s great to hear some different takes on the originals.
But, oh how i wish Giorgio had done them all!!!!
Now, that would have been 10 Stars!!!
AA
Published 7 months ago by A. nicolson

2.0 out of 5 stars Love to Love The Origianals!
Published 10 months ago by R. J. Hingston

2.0 out of 5 stars Love to Love The Origianals!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
Remix albums rarely improve on the originals and this album is no exception. Apart from the new mix of 'Love to Love You Baby' and 'Love is In Control' there is little worthy of a second listen in this collection. 'La Dolce Vita' an unreleased track is quite appealing whereas 'Dim All The Lights' and 'On The Radio' are apalling. I dont care if I never hear either of those mixes again in my life. To crown it all 'Working The Midnight shift' does not feature Donna at all but the voice of some other woman. What the hell is that doing on this album? It really surprises me that those close to Donna approved the release of this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a typically average remix album, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
I'm sure nearly all these remixes would sound great on any dance floor today, but give it a year, six months or less and I doubt anyone will give them the time of day.
I don't want to sound like some retro-loving, old fart, but the original versions of these songs really ARE immeasurably better than anything that these pumped-up mixes have to offer.
With the exception of Giorgio Moroder's mix of 'Love to Love You Baby', the Chromeo & Oliver remix of 'Love is in Control' and the inclusion of a new (old) track, 'La Dolce Vita', there's very little here that warrants a repeat listen.
I think Donna Summer deserves much better than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars It Upsets Me To Hear Such Bad Mixes, 29 Oct 2013
Mr. G. I. Davies (marchwood, hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
Firstly I don't think classic Donna songs need to be remixed even to attract a younger or new fanbase.They are and will always be fantastic in their original form.However if they have to be remixed then there is only handful of people worthy-Giorgio of course,Moto Blanco,Calvin Harris,Ralphi Rosario,Dave Aude,7th Heaven,Wideboys,Cahill.These are all current mixers who would have done a much better job.
The only songs I can bear to listen to you is Love To Love You Baby remixed by Giorgio and Love Is In Control by Chrome and Oliver which I didn't like to begin with but it has grown on me.I really hope the other songs grow on me but some are so bad,they actually ruin the original,Dim All The Lights and On The Radio and don't start me on Working The Midnight Shift!
Even the new unreleased La Dolce is below par and sounds like a song that didn't make the Crayons cd,but I am so grateful to hear something new although it has taken ages to get this song for various reasons.
What us Donna fans need is all her albums remastered digitally and to include songs which never made the final cut.We also need the Live and More concert from 1978 available on bluray/dvd.
Having seen Donna so many times live and to meet her twice,there isn't a day I don't think of this lady.
Her music has played a very important part of my life and that is why I am so upset to hear these classics being remixed like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen with a new ear!!!, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
It took me ages to order this CD as I was extremely reticent about the concept of a remix album. Upon receiving it I listened and did not like it at all!!! I then decided to listen to the tracks again but without comparing them to the originals and it works so much better.

I really enjoy Love is in Control (finger on the trigger) and Hot Stuff. All the tracks have been been updated and I even enjoyed Working the Midnight Shift

So for all the fans out there I would say buy this CD but listen to the tracks as if they were new and do not compare them to the originals

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
given the great talent donna summer had this a very poor tribute. enjoyed the moroder remix of love to love you baby. after that this is a cheap money making product. hope one day the the work she had almost finished before her death emerges. love you donna.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Tribute to Donna Summer?, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
To say I was excited when I saw this album advertised was a major understatement, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on my copy of this album. To say I was very disappointed after the first, second and third listen, was an even bigger understatement.

I will list the songs and review them individually...as this seems fairer than to "shoot" the whole album.

1. Love to Love You Baby - I really love the Moroder/Chris Cox mix of this iconic song - 5 stars

2. Dim All the Lights - a very dated mix with little or no singing - 1 star

3. Hot Stuff - ok, if a bit dull, mix with plenty of vocals from Donna - 2 stars

4. I Feel Love(Afrojack Remix)- I quite like Afrojack's mixes and this is ok, but the original and Patrick Cowley mixes are far superior - 2 stars

5. Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)- my all time favourite track since the original album came out, and this mix had added something new to the song...and kept all the gorgeous vocals - 5 stars

6. Sunset People - this mix has lost all the energy of the original song, but have still kept some of the original elements, and lots of vocals, but a dull version of this classic - 2 stars

7. Working The Midnight Shift - one of my favourite tracks from the "Once Upon A Time album", but what the heck is this version doing on a Donna Summer album??? Booklet states "additional vocals by Tiffany Roth", but where are Donna's??? - 0 stars

8. Bad Girls - lots of the original vocals, so that's good, and the mix is ok, if a bit lacking in energy - 3 stars

9. MacArthur Park - I don't think so...this mix does not suit the song at all! I really can't listen to this song without feeling a bit sad...a classic song ruined - 0 stars

10. I Feel Love (Benga Mix) - dull, dull and more dull - 0 stars

11. On The Radio - a sad moment - a classic song yet again ruined...and one that I will never play again - 0 stars

12. Last Dance - this mix has lost all the 1970s glamour and excitment that I associate this song with...dull, and I for sure will not play this again - 0 stars

13. La Dolce Vita - why is this included here - as a fan, even I don't appreciate this, middle of the road, quality track. Which album was this cut from?? - 1 star (just for the fact that this is a new track)

So those were the tracks, now for some general information/comments.

Booklet and packaging - fold-out sleeve but not much in the way of pictures and/or information about the project.

Why are there two versions of "I Feel Love"? So many songs to choose from...just saying.

In summary - an album I could in hindsight do without, but worth getting some of the individual tracks for sure.

This is hardly a tribute to Donna Summer. What would be a tribute would be to re-issue ALL the original albums, with 7' and 12' versions included.

4.0 out of 5 stars no,not as good as the originals...but it's nice to hear them again sounding fresh and different!, 5 Feb 2014
A. nicolson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
Don't really understand all the negative reactions to this release.
I think it.s great to hear some different takes on the originals.
But, oh how i wish Giorgio had done them all!!!!
Now, that would have been 10 Stars!!!
AA

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
With the exception of the Giorgio Moroder remix of Love to Love You, Baby (which successfully bridges the past with the present with a recognisable song structure), this "tribute" is more like a trashing of Donna Summer's legacy. There's no consistency here; it's just a bunch of remixes, most of which don't hold a candle to the originals. Avoid!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm, 20 April 2014
Great vocalist
Some of the remixes are a bit odd
But Donnas voice overcomes the shortfalls
Some remixes should reflect the era in which the were released

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT SO BAS AS EXPECTED, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Love To Love You Donna (Audio CD)
I have always been a DS fan - since I was 12. I was looking forward to this album of remixes, because I miss her voice so much. The idea of doing remixes was brilliant, but previews were disappointing (apart from LOVE IS IN CONTROL). When finally I decided to buy the album anyway, I found some brilliant remixes:
LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY (of course, by the MAESTRO, no need to say his name), HOT STUFF (RIP Frankie Knuckles), LOVE IS IN CONTROL, BAD GIRLS, LAST DANCE (pure delight). The WORKING THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT Remix was much criticised for being a cover in that it doesn't include Donna's vocals, but it's a nice remake anyway. It would have been great if the master tapes had been kept with the care they deserved! As regards the unreleased DOLCE VITA, in my opinion it would have deserved a place in CRAYONS (thanks to the MAESTRO again!). So, 6/7 tracks out of 13: the price has dropped and now it is worth your money.

Love To Love You Donna
Love To Love You Donna by Donna Summer (Audio CD - 2013)