4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music - poor DVD authoring
What do you expect from Paul Rodgers? Brilliant voice, those wonderful songs from the days with Free & Bad Company? That's exactly what you get - along with a great band and a few newer songs.

Published on 9 Jun 2007 by Alastair Burr

3.0 out of 5 stars All is great except the bass and stage light
We all expect something special from blu-ray concerts and excellent examples are many. This one is great overall but the bass was mixed a bit too low and the stage lighting (those four bright pillar platforms) destroy the picture of otherwise one of the best blu-ray rock productions.
Published on 19 Jun 2009 by A. I. Klishanets

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music - poor DVD authoring, 9 Jun 2007

If anything that voice has got better over time. I remember being in the front row at the Marquee Club in the late sixties around the time that "Tons Of Sobs" was released. Back then it was vital to keep at least one eye on the mike stand just in case he dropped it. The stage in Glasgow is a wee bit bigger than the Marquee's was but Rodgers' technique is still pretty good: he never missed then and he's on top form still.

And this new band is pretty good, too. As soon as the bass kicks in on the first track you know it's going to be good. Then there's Howard Leese on guitar who was with Heart early on and Kurtis Dengler who doesn't try to be Paul Kossoff but plays with confidence and style. Likewise, Ryan Hoyle is not a similar drummer to Simon Kirke but adds a different emphasis.

So why only 4 stars? Who on earth thought it was acceptable to put the layer change in the middle of the solo in All Right Now? A few minutes later there is a natural break before the encores!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 17 Feb 2008
Mr. S. D. Thomas "simondthomas" (Ebchester, UK) - See all my reviews
You can pick all sorts of holes in the performance, but this is my most played music DVD for a very long time. As Alistair mentioned the layer change is absolutely baffling. It's not as if the DVD is packed with all sorts of extras that it needs to be done. Very annoying, but I can forgive it with the choice of material, which is almost exactly what I would have picked as a set list myself.

Very much worth the £9, and if you like Paul Rogers you'll get some great reply value from this 8/10 performance. I'll have to give 5 stars because I rarely play anything this much :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, still the best voice England has ever produced, 18 July 2008
Gary Jackson (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
The voice still outstanding. I first saw Paul Rodgers back in 1969 in Whitley Bay and thought he was fantastic and he just gets better and better with age. The set is actually what I would have chosen from his extensive catalogue. I agree about the strange break in the DVD but it won't detract from your enjoyment. A cracking DVD well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's the Man !, 3 Dec 2009
First class concert,well shot and Paul Rodgers has still got it in spades.
Rock on !

5.0 out of 5 stars the old days, 6 July 2013
choosing was easy, good to hear what they are singing, feel sorry for the neighbours when I play this dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant....., 8 April 2010
Having been a fan of the legendary Free and of Bad Company I looked forward in anticipation to this blu ray release. Rodgers didn't disappoint with a virtuoso display of his vocal powers blasting thorugh a variety of songs old and new. The quality of the production is excellent and with the theatre sound system turned up to 11 it was great to watch and listen to a master at work.

3.0 out of 5 stars All is great except the bass and stage light, 19 Jun 2009
A. I. Klishanets (St. Albans, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD,BUT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER, 4 Jun 2009
Hans Myhren - See all my reviews
A great voice that actually becomming better throu the years.When you get it presented in the blue ray HD MASTER AUDIO format it sounds incredebly good.Because the huge improvement this format do to the audio tracks compared with the Dts ,almost all the releases will sound like a fairytale in the beginning,and it probably colours the rewiew.By all means this is a good dvd. Most of the songs are picked from the Free period like Be my friend,All right now,Hunter, ride a pony ,fire and water and the everlasting classic wishing well and Paul Rodgers are doing a perfect job.So is the sound crew.What i miss is rougher edges on the guitars.They play too nice.Slash or Ralph in his golden years would have been the dream cast here.Thats why the Bad Company dvd he gave out some years ago are better ,but since this is the only one on blue ray buy this

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance marred by poor camerawork, 18 April 2009
Malcolm Knight (London) - See all my reviews
This is my 29th concert Blu-ray disc and I confess to buying it on impulse; I did not know Paul Rodger's work, so all I will say about the performance is that although I recognised none of the songs, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be playing it again.

However technically this is not up to Eagle Rock's usual standards and I have to criticise the image quality. I know, because I have done it myself a few times, that videoing a performance requires a great deal of skill and stamina but usually it is done brilliantly by cameramen who make themselves almost invisible. Almost inevitably some shots will start momentarily out of focus but much of this disc is marred by less than perfect focussing. A few shots are well adrift for their whole duration.

There are also instances of zoom-ins missing their target and of highlights being burned out. As if to advertise his lack of expertise, one cameraman has switched on his camera's tally light so he sticks out like a sore thumb in the dark background.

Fortunately the sound crew have done a first rate job and the DTS HD Master track is superb if your speakers are man enough to take it! The Dolby Digital track doesn't have the same impact.

I hope I haven't come across as too critical, I like the disc a lot, but it should have been better in the image department. I shall knock off two stars for an image which falls short of Eagle Rock's best but add a bonus one for such a good performance.

As I have dwelt on the technical so much perhaps I should add that I watched on a Pioneer 60" plasma (KRP600) and listened via PMC studio monitor speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars top stuff, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Live In Glasgow [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
the man the voice classic songs in great quilty what more could you want rush out and buy it now

Live In Glasgow [DVD] [2013]
Live In Glasgow [DVD] [2013] by Paul Rodgers (DVD - 2013)