on 20 December 2014
On first inspection this looks a well built and good looking product. We have an iPhone, an iPAD, 2 iPods, plus some other devices that need almost daily charging so this product looked ideal. Within a week of receiving it though one of the 5 USB ports stopped charging devices. By the time I am writing this, 3 months later, 4 out 5 now don't charge.A complete waste of money.
on 12 July 2014
This is a good idea, all nicely packaged but don't be fooled. The internal build quality of these is drivel- one port on mine stopped working after only a few days. Others have reported the same, and high pitched squealing etc ( mine was actually quiet). Naked need to manufacture reliable devices rather than stuff prone to fail, don't expect it to last a long time. Also they have no Uk customer service- Germany is the closest you will get. Things like this should be built to last- you have been warned.

The above was my original review when I gave it 1 star.After posting it, they were all over it, with Anker contacting me, asking me for the serial number, and then they just sent me a new one. Very good customer service. It seems port failure was a common issue as they said they had a new model which solved the problems and sent me that. It looks exactly the same, save the serial number is printed on it rather than being on a sticker. This one currently has all of its ports working. If that remains it is a 5 star product. The customer service is superb. My advice is hoe you get the new more reliable version with the printed serial rather than the prone to failure old model.
Stop browsing other products - buy this if you want a multi-usb charger with full power from all five ports.

- class leading
- delivered early
- beautifully made and packaged
- above all works really well straight out of the box.

These guys care about quality and consumer experience.

Bought the black version - no annoying LED light, no noise, no heat.

Use it to charge Galaxy III & 4 phones and tablet simultaneously. Faster than the plugs that came with the products.

Bought a Euro-plugged lead as well to use this abroad.

You won't be disappointed.

A very happy consumer. Well done Anker.
on 8 December 2014
Quite svelte, about the size of a deck of cards.
Rubberised along the sides and quite pleasing to the touch. No ports are specific in terms of output, the PowerIQ technology allows any/ all ports to detect the full current supported by the device and deliver it.

I use this at my desk at work and have used it to simultaneously charge an iphone, an ipad, my cube buddy's two nexus devices and a portable charger battery. Every item charged at its max and dropped down to a trickle charge when finished.

The rear of the product takes a standard "figure of 8" power cable, so if you need a longer cable it can be easily ordered.

There are no distracting LEDs or charging indicators, as such this would be good on a nightstand.

I recommend this without hesitation.
review image
on 4 April 2014
On travels you can end up with a lot of chargers and requirements for plug sockets. Often hotel rooms only have 2 free and often you only have a few hours before setting off again or going for a meal. Given almost everything requires a daily recharge you can struggle to priorities what to charge first...

This 40w/8amp/5usb unit is great as it can really charge a collection of devices quickly without the need for 4+ plug sockets/chargers. You still require USB cables but still its a significant weight reduction ,think airline carry-on luggage. I can however use all the these cables for the hire car and the 2 USB cig charger but that's another story...

Using my recent travel as an example, utterly bored at the airport we made use of these extensively: Samsung Galaxy note 3, Blackberry 9900, Hawuei MiFI, Ipad Air, Iphone 4s and an ipod Nano, Anker 6000mah battery.[which is roughly 2amp,1amp,1amp,2amp,1amp,1amp,1amp respectively].

It is able to charge the phones quick enough that shortly after hotel check-in we can leave to explore while the larger items(Anker battery,Ipad) have already got a head start. With the phones disconnected all the other items can be charging away ready for our return and the swapping back to the mobiles ready for the next day of abuse.

This newer unit doesn't require certain high-draw items plugged into specific usb sockets as its IQ is apparently able to balance the load. I believe the only aesthetic difference between this model and the last is there no labels on the USB ports to state "Ipad 2.1"/"Android" etc.
This load balancing makes it far more flexible and able to charge items more efficiently saving you time. I also think this makes it more future proof as its able to charge more than one device over 2amp which is becoming more common.

This highest load I've tried is Galaxy note 3, Ipad Air, HP Touchpad, Blackberry playbook and this should result in 8amp. After 30mins it was only slightly warm and neither picky Ipad/Touchpad/playbook complained.

It is compact(card/cig packet) and is reassuringly sturdy and heavy(155grams without cables).
The power lead it comes with is a simple 1.5m UK plug to figure of eight(C7) and comes with a neat velcro cable tidy. I don't think I will ever need 1.5m so I trimmed it down to 30cm(easily bought).

This unit can apparently handle 110-240v input voltage so you could swap the UK-to-Fig.8 cable for a US or EU-to-fig.8 saving you the trouble of needing a bulky adapter when overseas (e.g. LINDY US Mains Cable - 2 Pin Plug to Figure 8 Connector 2m ). I will test this in a few weeks time and report if not. ** updated worked great in the USA with is combo **
if you do not want a cable at all and forgive a protruding shape then this might be a good addon item Uk 250V 3A Fused 3 Pin Plug to Figure Of Eight C7 Through Adapter

A good time and space saver if you require MORE than two high output chargers in your bag.
55 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2014
They have had some teething problems but their customer service is excellent and surprisingly I am now a satisfied customer. The first item they sent only had a couple of ports that worked. They quickly replaced it. Same problem again, all but 1 port stopped working almost immediately, they asked me to wait a few weeks for an upgrade, and that arrived and works fine. I was very happy with my interactions with customer service, I did not have to send back the dud units, so I will be ordering another product. Most refreshing to find a company that really looks after its customers.
on 3 October 2014
Worked ok to start with but gradually the ports fail to charge only one port still charges after 6 months. Give it a miss if you intend to use it regularly
on 8 September 2014
Nice product, works as advertised but it will depend on the cable you use as some cables don't seem to cope with the higher current. For example if I plug in my LG GPad without using the cable that came with it, it whinges that it isn't charging at the fastest rate. Plug in the original cable and voila !
on 5 December 2014
One port stopped working after the first use and the port next to that stopped about 3 uses further on. I had hoped the reviews I read saying that ports had packed up were a few isolated incidents, but was unfortunately wrong!
on 8 September 2014
I've had one of these for about two or three months now; yesterday, I'd have given it five stars and a hearty recommendation. Today, it spontaneously caught fire. Nothing plugged into it, it just suddenly started smoking and got really hot. Thank god I was sitting next to it when it happened. If it'd happened an hour earlier, I wouldn't have been home, and I'd have come home to a house fire.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse