4.0 out of 5 stars It saved my marriage...
I needed something to take my mind off the constant nagging from my wife. Thanks FM2014. Yes, my wife still nags, but at least I can try and buy Falcao for Chelsea. Happy days.

Edit. Falcao turned me down. I had to settle for Nicholas Bendtner instead.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. C. Rutherford

1.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, zero fun, play FM 2012 instead
I don't know why they do it but every now and then SI games release a version of Football Manager and they seem to crank up the difficulty to ridiculous extremes. Whether this is to appease the die-hard fans or they're simply reckless with their coding I'm not sure, but what I do know is that this year's edition is a frustrating mess of a game. Don't get me wrong, many...
Published 1 month ago by C. Fletcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Odds are too stacked against the player, 29 Dec 2013
Anthony Hand (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Football Manager 2014 could have been the perfect footy manager sim, but unfortunately Sports Interactive have developed a game that is so stacked against the player the the enjoyment is all but destroyed. No matter what team the player is in charge of, be it Man Utd or St Pat's Athletic, the player will struggle, even against opposition that should be a walk over. Many times it feels that no matter what the player does, they will be outmatched by the computer AI, who will usurp their tactical changes every time.

To make everything even more difficult, the player's tactics, which have to be built up over time, are wrecked if any changes are made during a match...and changes HAVE to made during every match. An attribute that is "Fluid" can be reduced to "Awkward" with the simple click of a mouse button. So, what you have is a complete waste of time on behalf of the player, because the AI will always get the measure of your team's tactics and will out play them in the match engine. This is borne out by numerous accounts from players that have recounted their winning streaks at the start of a season, which all of a sudden fail to even secure a goal, even against the lowliest of teams, while they manage to gain access to your goal and oftentimes, score that vital goal, much to the bewilderment of the player.

Of course, there are shock results in football all the time. But FM14 takes surprise defeats to a new level completely, at least for the human player. In addition, there seems to be teams that the human player will just not be able to defeat, no matter what they do. For instance, I played Liverpool (5th) off against Sunderland (16th) 11 times in a row and Sunderland won EVERY time and sometimes by fantastic margins like 5-0 or 7-1. I even used the downloadable editor and gave the Liverpool players attributes of 20 across every important entry, I took away all "Unhappiness" and eliminated all "Injuries" and upped the morale to "Superb". Played each player in their "Natural" position and used the strongest formation where everything was "Fluid".

Liverpool still lost!

What this means is that all the in-game indicators that the player is doing something right are useless, because it comes down to simple, dumb, random luck as to whether the player wins the match or not.

Now, if I'd played my Liverpool team against a Barcelona or a Man Utd and those results happened, I might be more inclined to take it on the chin and move on. But this is Southampton we're talking about. Southampton are a team I have nothing against BTW, I used to watch them all the time during the Tiss days.

In the game's favor the database is fantastic, with tens of thousands of players to view and scout for. Unfortunately, the transfer system is very dubious, to say the least. The costs of transfers fluctuate so wildly that is simply irritating. Offer 10 million for a player and watch him say no to you, but yes to another team for a fraction of the price, leading to some truly headbanging moments.

Speaking of players, routinely, the players attributes will keep dropping, regardless of what the manager does. even if a player is getting constant first team football, his attributes will drop. Now, theoretically, this is ok, but in practice, it means that over time your team just gets worse, resulting in inevitable defeats. I've had 1st team players drop stats by up to 3 or 4 points over a couple of games, despite a solid training regime, good performances and results. For instance Luis Suarez was my highest scorer, gradually managed to achieve drops in his important stats over the first half of the season, to the point where he became useless to me, despite the fact that he was a constant 1st team player, with goals in double figures! So, during training, I focused on the attributes were failing and got Suarez to train on them. The result, was that he started to drop in other areas.

That, like much of the game, doesn't make any sense at all.

The match engine too, will have you tearing your hair out. It never looks like football and teh players look utterly ridiculous at times, which is somewhat ok, because FM14 is really a statistical simulation. However, players really do the most infuriating things. Defenders (even of high quality) refuse to "get stuck in", even if you have ordered them to do so. Strikers will fire the ball at the goal from a 1000 yards out, even though you've ordered them to "work the ball into the box". Players won't close down opposition, despite being told to and so on. All of this is on the player side as well.

The AI side (regardless of ability) will gain the most extraordinary breakthroughs of your defence. they will convert the most minimal of chances to goals. They will turn around all of your instructions and tactics and often will get a result against the players team, regardless of who they are.

This means that FM14 ends up just being an exhausting trial, where all the proper and correct efforts that the player engages in come to naught, on a continuous basis, because the game mechanics are designed to force the player to fail.

It's difficult to say to a potential buyer not to buy the game at all, as there may be some people out there that will love it and with subsequent patches and tweaks, it could end up being great. But, I think people should be aware how artificial the game difficulty is and just how the game gets the better of the human player.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must have game? Not anymore!, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I agree with alot of the one star reviews that this game is now finished,SI ignore the fans comments and do what they want.

The game hasnt changed in 5 years and the makers are only interested in the money,the interface just gets moved around every year and then they charge you 30 for the pleasure,oh and of course the player database is updated but you can download that from a website online for FREE.

Your tactics have no impact on the outcome of the game as i done a test and proved it,The match engine would not be out of place in the 1990s.

Ive called for the last 4 years that the grounds to be updated and made to look like the real thing but the makers ignore those suggestions and focus on profit.

All the people i know who have played this for years no longer even buy the game,It needs a massive injection of money to update the match engine and also make the game FUN again.

Watch out for the usual 5 star one sentence reviews just before xmas but dont be fooled by them.The game is awful and has been neglected by its makers for at least 4 years now.

The bugs are a joke and the players run around like robots on medication.

The only reason this game has lasted so long is because of the lack of competition,you will get the usual fanboys raving about the game and come out saying how great the game is.But fail to say that its virtually the same as last years version and the year before that and before that.

I will not be buying the game in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
you would think for a football management sim, strikers would be able to put the ball in the goal. I have tried a huge variety of tactics, instructions, clubs and strikers and it is impossible to score. I am pretty sure, Wenger, Moyes, Pellegrini do not spend most of their time smashing their head against the wall trying to get a striker to score!! In the beta testing it was great, but as soon as the main game was released, it was made impossible to score! too may long shots? tell them to work ball into box. then they just try and walk it in. no middle ground.

The 'community' are no help either. You just get called a newb or an idiot. Been playing these games for 15 years and never had a problem as ridiculous as strikers disappearing in a game. It is like playing every match with 10 players.

You get suspicious of its simulation prowess when Everton are leading the league in the first season and you cannot sell Robin Van Persie for 6 million

Do yourself a favour and play something like FM2010. It will be dirt cheap now as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can play better football than Messi in this game., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I wish I could get a refund simply because FM2014 is so bad that I would rather play last year's version.

I couldn't even bother to try out all the other features -- why bother with new features when the match engine doesn't work properly?

If you buy this game, you are basically spending hours watching the following happen, no matter what team you choose, how good your players are.
- Your strikers all become fernando torres: they will aim at the stands. You can try using Messi, watch him dribble all the defenders, and then shoot from 20 yards instead of going one on one with the keeper to beat.
- Your midfielders are really spectators who bought VIP tickets to watch the game from the middle of the park: when you do not have possession, they stand around and allow opposition to walk past them: tried Javi martinez, he was little better than a training ground dummy.
- Your full backs cannot defend: playing Ashley Cole in left back produces same results as using antonio valencia. enough said.
- Your defenders cannot tackle. They just cant, not even with 20 tackling.

in short, i recommend this game, if you wanna see how you can play better than Messi.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor release version again. Please read...., 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Ive given this 1/5 for its current state along with the MO and attitude of the developers, however i do think it will end up being a brilliant game and possibly the best FM to date.

First of all - there are glaring bugs in this, major bugs, but they are fixable I'm sure. It seems to be a massive improvement on 13.

The point I want to make is this: Please people.... NEVER BUY THIS GAME UPON RELEASE! Never ever................ ever do it! You will be wasting your time and money.

ALWAYS WAIT until March: for FM14 - Mar 14, FM15 - Mar 15.. you get the idea.

This game is never ready upon release. The beta was brilliant, OK it wasn't perfect but it was just a beta. The full game comes out and it takes 10 steps backwards. All of a sudden the ME is useless. Attack and defence are the major

issues at the moment, midfield play seems to be good and some of that looks very realistic, but it is unplayable in its current state(v14.1.3). It has been a tad over 3 weeks since its release and it is STILL unplayable.

My real beef though is with the people who make this game and their attitude.

For the 3rd year running(maybe more, I dont own all of them) they have released a game that is 60% complete and expect us to be bug testers. They claim that they cant get it right without our help!!! IS that what we pay for? NO. What

I pay for is a game that works out of the box. YEs there are always going to be small bugs in even the best games but the kind I'm seeing here are totally unacceptable.

People are sick to death of buying this game and then having to wait 4 months(until early March) to play it properly! How can any company operate with that kind of MO?

This game currently is broken and customers quite rightly are demanding a patch. SI have the attitude of "oh well, it will be ready when its ready", they keep everyone in the dark and we never know when we can expect to play it. They

then talk to us like we are in the wrong when we demand answers.

The classic excuse from SI regarding bugs is that "this game is so complex that mistakes will be made" I DONT GIVE A **** IF ITS COMPLEX! THey are the ones who decide to make it complex!, we only offer suggestions as to what we want to

see. They also decide that they can take a finished version and strip it down and re-code it back up in 6-9 months with 1000 new features. IMPOSSIBLE, any other games producer will tell you that you cannot build a new game in less than

a year. Bottom line is that they have to deliver on the standards they set and they never do. A Michelin starred chef can't serve up meat that is tough, veg that is undercooked, cream sauces that have split and food that is unseasoned

and expect to get away with can they? Same principles apply to video game producers.

Quick run-down of the main bugs:
- Transfer offers: Players being sold for as little as 10% of their value - MAJOR BUG, CANT HAVE BEEN TESTED, UNACCEPTABLE
- ME wise: So many long shots, super keepers, defenders..... dont even go there!! - GONE BACKWARDS FROM THE BETA
- Corner exploits have re-emerged, thought these were a thing of the past
- Players in the Skrill N & S leagues, 90% of the time(not always), are not interested in renewing contracts, even if you win the league - MAJOR BUG, CANT HAVE BEEN TESTED

It goes to show that this game is not tested.

This could the last time I buy it, I have certainly learned my lesson now about buying on release. 14 has potential and Im sure it will be good in the end. A patch is forthcoming but we've already waited 3 weeks for it! I will settle

down with this version and play a long term save but from now on I will only look at it in March of the appropriate year, if at all!

1.0 out of 5 stars A series that continues to get worse, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I think I've just about given up on the Football Manager series, which is a real shame because some of the older versions gave me years of enjoyment.

The match engine is simply dreadful and it baffles me as to how the games seem to be getting progressively worse every year. The player movement is extremely unnatural and at times ridiculous, the decision making is bizarre and the defending is atrocious. Players cannot mark and when they're in a decent position to make a tackle or a block, half the time they'll either stand still or just jog alongside the opposing player, admiring his footwork or thinking about what they're gonna have for dinner that evening. I'm losing count of the amount of goals I've scored from corners where we've simply rolled it across the ground to the near post for a tap-in, which is evidently such a ground-breaking tactic that my opponents seem unable to deal with it.

It's the same story with FM year after year, they release a BETA two weeks before that makes you think they are in dire need for hiring some more staff for the bug-testing, and then with such a short amount of time before the full version is released there's simply not enough time for them to iron out all the horrendous bugs. And just what are they doing with the match engine? Do they start from scratch every time? It was excellent in the fully patched version of FM11, so how can it be so horrendous three years later? Time for me to stop paying for a broken product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've been playing this sim for over 12 years now. Every year has had me hooked. This game? Not so much, I've actually barely played it since I bought it on release date. It's just dreadful. An illogical mess. It's stopped being fun and I sincerely doubt that I will bother with 15. They've almost certainly lost a customer for life.

I've actually tried playing FM recently. It's still a buggy mess. Buy 12 or 13. Just don't not buy this game. Finishing is bugged, passing is bugged, defending is bugged, y'know all the main footballing components are bugged. They can't even get the colours right!

1.0 out of 5 stars Total and utter rubbish. Tripe. Avoid., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
What a load of rubbish. Quite incredible that I still buy this joke of a simulation every year. Last time.
Given a board ultimatum: get 11 points out of next 5 games... I won all 5, 15 points. I then won 3 out of the next 4, 25 points out of a possible 27. I then lost my next game and was sacked because I hadn't reached the target set for the last 5 games! 2nd in Prem, Semis of FA cup and still in champs league but got the boot.
I could also go on about the 5 shots per game that hit the post or the cheap graphics but you can live with those.
Just save your money, like I will for FM15, 16, 17.....

1.0 out of 5 stars would be good if you could score, 11 Nov 2013
Mr. M. S. Woodhouse "angler" (west yorkshire, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Well where to start, had to buy on pc this year as they have stopped bringing out the game on regular psp but was happy to swap as I knew pc was more realistic and better right? WRONG! Sure everything about the game simulates what a manager would go through off the pitch but on the pitch. It is a joke. It would be nice If the strikers ever scored. Every time your team has a highlight If they don't give the ball away in some stupid fashion then the strikers will boot the ball like a mile wide or over the top of the stadium. Maby it's just me but I like to think that I know a fair detail about what tactics will work and which won't. I have not won a league game yet and I've played plenty. The final straw for me was when I lost 10-1 with AS Monaco against Bordeaux. Was using a balanced 4-4-2 with the only instructions being to keep possession, use direct passing and work the ball into the box. I don't think this is very realistic. I would call it just a blip if it wasn't for the fact I loose every game by like 5 goals at least, with rarely ever getting a goal for myself. Either I'm really bad at this game or SI have some serious work to do. I know which one I'm going for. One added thing, do not follow the booklet with the game if you are not sure how to install fm14 cos it will lead you nowhere. Look it up online cos after an hour and a half trying to install the game using that pathetic booklet, just found how to do it on fm base. Had it installed in 10 mins. Their is a lot of other simple and major irritations that i will list
*It does not matter who you are playing with, you will lose your match 9 times out of 10, even if for example you are arsenal playing bath city. You could have 90% of the match possession and 50 shots compared to their one, they will always score that one and you will score none.
*The attacking team will always find ridiculous openings in your defense, from situations that are not even attacking opportunities.
*Any tactical changes during or in between matches will almost always have no effect
*The number of players who will turn your team down because they think the league is below their ambitions or your club stature is not great enough is very irritating.
*Transfers can take far too long to complete, often meaning you will loose out on a player that you tried to sign very early on before the transfer market closes. My advice look at your squad when you first set up the game and quickly decide which positions you need reinforcements in to get the transfers completed.
*Transfer offer fees are ridiculous. If you have a player worth 10 million who is on top form, you will get offers of about 500,000, if you are lucky, not joking.
*On the opposite side it is very hard to sell players.If you have a player worth for example 5 million who you want to sell, you can offer him to clubs on a free transfer and it is very unlikely you will get interest, you can just release them and this will not effect your budgets, but you must pay compensation, so your club overall will loose that money from it's balance so you will not be as profitable and this may effect your budgets for the next season.
*The fans will be annoyed with whoever you sign or sell. It doesn't matter if you sign messi, the most thanks you will get from the fans is a statement saying they hope he shows the loyalty to them that he showed his old club. And if you sell a player who your own assistant manager said was not needed at the club, the fans will be angry saying he was a key player and that the club has lost money by selling them, compared to the fee they were bought for, even if they were brought in for free.
*When playing the game, if you apply for a higher reputation club managers job or any vacant job, then the board will always give you an ultimatum that you either apologize for applying or you resign and even if you apologize, 9 times out of 10 they will not accept it and sack you. If they accept the apology and do not sack you then their confidence in you will be zero and you will probably be sacked in the next few weeks as a result anyway.

You may get a fluke run of victories every now and again and if you are really lucky you may get one season of a career that is a good simulation and you could even get promoted, but once you get to the next season, it's the same old story, as I have experienced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zero improvement on last years offering, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Having just completed half a season with the Wolves, I have decided to remove the game from my laptop, before the season even got under way all my top players (Kevin Doyle, Hennessey, Johnson etc ) had all demanded transfers, and I was left with all the dross plus a few 'free' players I had been able to sign, (nobody half decent would come), pre-season went ok, I then lost the opening three league games and morale simply crashed!
The match engine is ponderous in the extreme, with players walking around paying no attention to what's happening around them, failure to react immediately to your assistant's in-game comments will without fail cost you a goal, and everything you say to the players before, during and after the match has a catastrophic effect on moral.
This is without doubt, the most infuriating game in existence!

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2014 (PC DVD) by Sega (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
13.49