on 14 November 2013
I've been using Kaspersky's products for quite a few years now, and had no problems until now. Installed this version on a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 7 64 bit. It appeared to work OK on the laptop, but didn't automatically run at startup on the desktop, and had to be started manually. This appears to be a problem which has affected some users of Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, and at the time of writing this review they're still trying to resolve it. One suggestion was that the problem occurred on installing the 2014 version over the 2013 version, and to uninstall, reboot, do a clean install, then reboot again. I'd already tried this and it didn't work for me. Then I noticed when I was using the laptop that the Kaspersky icon appeared in the taskbar at startup, but disappeared several minutes later. This only happened once, but again it's a known problem with some people that Kaspersky are still trying to fix. At this point I gave up on this version of the program, as the last thing I want is to be surfing the Internet, happily thinking my security software is keeping my computer safe, when its stopped running. Luckily, I still had my installation disk for the 2013 version and reinstalled it. To sum up, I'm very disappointed with this program. I will check to see if Kaspersky have resolved the problems, and then maybe reinstall it, maybe just stay with the 2013 version as I know it works. But, next year I won't be automatically buying the next upgrade from Kaspersky.
on 23 December 2013
The title says it, really. I've stuck with KIS for several years now and tolerated initially its dreadful user interface because its rep for being effective was strong. I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Win 7 64 bit. (never seen a 32 bit Win 7!) I should say that the interface is now the best KIS has offered thus far and now I'm less inclined to moan about that.

I found too that if I hung on to the older version I'd end up with a free upgrade to the new one. For instance I got the upgrade to 2014 about three months back, or thereabouts. Straight away, noticed a greatly extended boot-complete time, like several minutes' worth of this. This laptop has 8gb RAM and a terabyte drive about one quarter inhabited so it's not short of resources either.

The spam filter is agonisingly slow to check arriving emails and its results are haphazard to say the least-in both directions - by that I mean it misses spam at times and also occasionally bins emails from good sources. Incidentally, I have my own email server and missing emails were in early days traced to its spam filter ID'ing some mails as spam, so they weren't getting as far as Outlook's download. Which was a separate issue, of course. And sometimes the whole application goes on strike, refusing to load at boot time and when I launch it manually it rewards me with a loading screen that stays for an agonisingly long time.

I'm not aware of any infestations on the machine that KIS has failed to deal with and its firewall as far as I can tell just gets on with its job - most of us are effectively behind a hardware firewall in our routers these days anyway so it's mostly outward bound data theft that's being blocked - which is my assumption.

But I feel I can't trust it any more. This failure to boot makes me wonder if indeed all its features are actually up and working - if it's capable of such a capital sin as not starting up when it should, it seems to me that it may well be failing in other respects. Perhaps not, but it's dented my confidence in its effectiveness.

And Kaspersky is famously slow, like never, going to pay heed to what I say to it. I no longer bother with contacting its support staff as they won't admit that there's an issue, normally advising a clean install - which with this software is an amazingly painful business with having to ensure its absolute removal, sometimes using a downloadable utility to get rid of all traces of it, and then installing the whole bang shoot again. Which is no five minute job, believe me.

Its updates are very frequent and can be a significant drag on bandwidth.

In short, I've had it with Kaspersky. I have a bit over 200 days to run but when that's worked out it'll be replaced with something else - right now I'm unsure exactly what as each of the security suites has its fanboys and haters.

If anyone reading this feels like making a suggestion (that's biologically unobjectionable) I'm all ears.
on 13 December 2013
I've use Kaspersky for quite a few years now, with no issues.
Unfortunately, this version slows internet browsing to an intolerable crawl.

Updated review - 21st Dec 2013 - Browsing problem appears to have been fixed with a recent patch, so I'm happy to change my rating.
on 20 October 2013
Have always used Kaspersky internet Security products. I've found their anti-banner to be excellent blocking those endless annoying ads on windows 8. So when my 2013 licence expired I bought this version.

With this new version internet browsing is painfully slow And the Anti-banner just doesnt work.

Yesterday I upgraded to windows8.1 and today I couldnt take anymore of the slowness, so having googled the issue the recommendation was to re-install 2013 as the 2014 licence can be used with it.

Sadly because I updated to 8.1, KIS2013 would not install, So I resigned myself to the fact I had to re-install 2014. This wouldnt install from the disk either. After going to Kasperky tech support I downloaded the latest version as instructed, Attempted to install it and got told again it was incompatible.

Oh dear..............
on 21 March 2014
I have used Kaspersky since it first hit the consumer market; it was pretty good and when I had problems I even ended up getting support from Moscow office. It was refreshing and I was a loyal customer. In December I bought a 2014 Multi-Device CD-ROM from Amazon ready for expiration of my 2013 version in March. I even took the old package off to stop the annoying pop-ups.

So unpacking the new CD-ROM was the easy part, it did spin, but that was it. Taking a look at the CD-ROM showed it had 0kB on it which was a really compact program, so compact that it looks as if noone bothered to press it to disk but simply slapped a Kaspersky label on it. I can see how Private Equity is fine-tuning the Kaspersky business model.

Anyway, I thought I should tell Kaspersky and got an Email from Mark Kent with links to Tech Support or Sales - so I went to Tech Support and filled out the boxes and pressed "Submit" to receive a "502 Bad Gateway" response, so I guess Kaspersky has lost its Tech Support in the same way it lost its software.

Will General Atlantic LLC be able to save Kaspersky from oblivion ? Reading the comments on here suggests I should be grateful that 2014 software never made it to disk and that someone was saving me from having my PCs taken on the slow track.........so anyway Bulldog got another customer through Kaspersky Marketing
on 23 May 2014
I have used Kaspersky for several years.
This 2014 version is poor on installation.
My version is a multi-user licence, it loaded onto a Windows 7 laptop fine, but is intrusive; however, my Windows XP PC desktop has not worked since it was installed. System crashed, many of my Windows programmes are now missing or unusable.
I have contacted Kaspersky on several occasions and have received very little help.
I will not be buying Kaspersky again, & I advise others not to bother either.
on 12 November 2013
I only use Kaspersky as I find them the best my daughter also uses it as well as other friends
on 18 November 2013
I had a bit of trouble installing the product but persevered and was helped online as well. Done what it says. What more can one ask for
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2015
The Packaging does not list Windows 10 as being supported but as this was the 2014 version and before Windows 10 was announced it though it might be OK.
No online checks for compatibility flagged up any issues. During installation you are prompted to upgrade to the latest 2014 Version 14.0.1.4651 during installation which I did. All I got was constant messages to restart to continue the installation but no warnings/
On a fourth attempt I un-ticked the box to install the latest version and immediately got an error message that "The Current Operating System is Not Supported" Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
What worked for me though and much to my surprise.
I downloaded the Trial Version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and installed it giving 30 days free use.
After restarting the PC and checking on the subscription status you can purchase a 2015 licence or enter the activation code if you have one..
I found that entering the code inside the 2014 package in the onscreen 2015 dialogue box for activation gave an "activation successful and 365 days until expiry and 2 spare licences running concurrently for other devices.
It is nice that it is resolved but there was no documentation on the Kaspersky Web Site or the Microsoft Compatibility Site saying this would work.
on 12 February 2014
As many others, I've always used and preferred Kaspersky over other security packages. However, upgrading to 2014 version on a Windows XP machine has been very frustrating experience.

Firstly, you need XP Service pack 3 installed on your machine before the installer will continue. After what feels like hours waiting for Service pack 3 to install and "clean up" after itself. I tried again.

This time, it complained about failing to install .NET Framework 4.0, so that's another trip to the MS website to download the installer.

I know my way around websites and computers, so these hassles are nothing more than an annoyance, but if you're a casual user on Windows XP, hoping for an easy experience, then I suggest you look else where.

For me, I will persevere with this as I don't want to pay for another package until this one expires.

On the plus side, as a parent of teenagers, I really like the parental controls this package offers, this in fact is the main reason I continued with Kaspersky. I use it to control how many hours my kids are allowed to be on the internet for, which is controlled on a per user-account basis. Of course, there's the web content filter as well, to block any unsuitable pages.