4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Novel
Published 14 months ago by ACB(swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Grew on me
Published 6 months ago by Pauline Butcher Bird

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Novel, 25 Sep 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Twins (Paperback)
This is a deceptively deep and dark novel that belies the apparent superficiality of the close identical twins, Viola and Isolte. Their mother, Rose, is still in the hippy era 60's, full of idealism and in denial of the twins' father's identity that rubs onto them. They embark on life's journey. Needless to say, their paths take different directions completely defying their childhood Suffolk upbringing.

Their encounters with friends, Michael and John, also twins, add to the murkiness of recollections of trouble-free days of the past as both girls develop personal problems.

Saskia Sarginson's narrative is captivating, holding the secrets and tragedies that are later revealed and are central to understanding the twins' destinies. An intense and intriguing novel. Thoroughly entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
I would have given it 5 stars as it was a very good story with a lot of different characters, one thing let it down, it is set around 3 different times in the girls lives but sometimes it switched times in the middle of a chapter and a few times in the middle of a paragraph !!!!Once you were aware it could happen you prepared for it. Over all a good book. Would have liked a few more chapters at the end to finish it off more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grew on me, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
This is a good story. The plight of Issie and Viola, identical twins and their relationship with their dreamy, wayward mother as well as two rough boys, also identical twins, grew on me. I was irritated, in the beginning by the dreary side story of Issie's workplace in London and her present-day boyfriend - all irrelevant and could easily have been cut. Compare that with the wonderful descriptions of the children's wild life in the Suffolk countryside by the sea and the creeping disaster about to befall them all. The unusual ending was very satisfying.
(Freak Out! My Life with Frank Zappa)

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting end, 14 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (Coulsdon, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twins (Paperback)
This book is set with flashbacks to the 70's and 80's and in that regard was very interesting as this is a period I remember very well. The Great Storm being just one such incident.

But it was a book that I found very hard to get into. I got interested about half way through and even then it didn't fully grab me.

The writing style goes between bland and irritating. It tries to emulate Jodi Picoult style with the story being told from two perspectives and two time periods but the changes from one to the other are not clearly demarked and you can go from one period to the other from one paragraph to the next with no indication. So I was often half way through a paragraph and a bit confused until I realised the change of scene. Even a blank line spare between paragraphs would help.

But, unlike some other reviewers, I found the ending really good. It didn't leave me hanging as much as some - and I normally find that very irritating. Indeed, if it had not been for the ending I would probably have rated this book as a 1*

If you have bought this book already I would say persevere.

If you have not bought it yet then you may find others better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
Loved this. Beautifully written. The writing weaves through the years, told from each twin's perspective. Explores the relationship between the girls, and builds up a colourful and heartbreaking background. My only criticism is that the addition of a pause or break in the text layout would make it easier to follow as in the kindle format the writing flows from one time to another without so much as a paragraph break which was a little confusing at times. Despite this, it's an excellent read

3.0 out of 5 stars An effort; but worth it in the end, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
It took me a few attempts to finish this book; mostly due to the fact that the first half of the book is really hard to get into. I feel it could have done with some serious editing; something deep, dark and dangerous happened when the twins were young and they've both used different coping mechanisms which has led them to where they are when the book starts.

The book doesn't really become interesting till about half way through; I feel this is where the writer could have explored the changes in the twins behaviour more. Nowhere do we see how people reacted to the twins in terms of what had happened and how people's reactions could have effected the twins.

The book ends well; with just enough information to know what happens with each of the characters but not so mush that you're spoon fed a fairy tail ending

2.0 out of 5 stars A road to nowhere, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately I did not relate to this book. It's confusing layout of skipping from past to present and person to person made it hard to follow so not a particularly easy read. I felt compelled to read it as I thought it may get better. After this lengthy read the ending left me even more disappointed. I'm not a negative person so I would say it's more like good book wrong person reading it. Don't be put off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark, 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
Given to read by my daughter! Very intense & sad. Not always sure which twin speaking ; end left to one's imagination-maybe good thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars changes time period too much and too confusing, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
I tried to get into this book but gave up on page 78! I found the pace to slow, boring and the constant changing from past to present within same paragraph/sentence annoying and confusing. I didn't reallly get the feel for the characters and by the time I gave up on this book was not worried what happened to them or how it ended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 23 Jan 2014
Laura Boyce (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twins (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this as i grew up in 1970s/80s Suffolk and thought this would be interesting. Sadly I just didn't get into it and every time I picked it up I wondered if it was worth it. Just not gripping or particularly interesting. I tried hard to care what happened but................