The Ghost Files
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£0.00

on 16 October 2014
As I think this book is mostly aimed at teenagers and young adults, I am reviewing it at such and giving
it 4 stars. However, as a 66 year old Harry Potter fan, I also enjoyed it! I do believe in ghosts so I could
empathize with the main character, Mattie.

She is in foster care and does her best to ignore the ghosts who try to talk to her. That is till another
foster girl, Sally, is murdered. Mattie's quest to find Sally's body and perhaps save the life of another
girl forces her to communicate with the ghosts - sometimes leading to physical and mental violence for
herself.

Though I found the dialogue a bit limited - every guy she met was "cute" and she "sooo was not going to
talk to this cop ..." etc. I suspect that is how teenagers do converse! And she did repeat her feelings
about the cop, Dan and not wanting to trust anyone a tad too often. However, once going, the story rattled
along, especially towards the end. There was no bad language or sex scenes and only a few typos.

I read this book in one evening and thought I knew the killer early on - I was wrong, which made a nice
change! I would recommend this book to anyone interested in ghosts, whatever your age.
on 3 December 2013
I wasn't quite sure what to make of this novel in the first few pages as the characters seemed a bit cliched and forced 'all-American' kids. However once the story got going and the pace kicked in, I was impressed. The main character of Mattie can be a bit annoying at times but that['s also quite realistic as a 16 year old. The premise is not new but once the storyline gets going it really rockets along and is hard to put down. Clever of the author to put a few different potential romantic interests in there as none are clear cut or obvious. Now I'm looking forward to see where the story goes in the next book!
on 12 November 2013
I picked this up as a 'loan' on the Amazon Prime Kindle lending library, and was really impressed. I think this book is probably aimed at young adults, but don't let that put you off reading it. Ghost Files is pacy, has an excellent storyline that puts many more experienced writers in this genre to shame, and is strong from start to finish. Stephen King said that the key to writing good horror/supernatural books is to make the reader care for the characters, and I think this is why 'Ghost Files' succeeds. I really like Mattie, I cared what happened to her from the first chapter, and all her characters have great likeability. OK, the writer is clearly new and the inexperience shows occasionally, but not to the detraction of the story and I never once wanted to stop reading. I really hope Apryl Baker writes another in the series soon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
this is probobly more teen fiction although i'm past that, it was a fun light read with a bad a*s smart mouthed foster child who can communicate with the dead Mattie the main character is is independant and overly agresive at times. she is currently in a home where she has everything she needs. things change when her friend sally goes missing .mattie is the only one who knows sally is dead and sets out for prove sally isn't a a run away .when she starts talking to the ghosts instead of avoiding and ignoring them it changes her life. she confides her abilities to a scepticrookie cop called dan. hes not completly convinced but helps to go through possible past victims to try to stop a serial killer and find a girl whos dying before its to late.
on 3 May 2015
Overall the narrative is very good and engrossing. The protagonist is Mattie Hathaway who sees ghosts, and based on this storyline the story evolves. It gets spookier when she has to communicate with the ghosts in order to find her friend Sally who is missing and is presumably dead. The pace of the novel is good, thus keeping the intrigue factor alive. However, more attention should be paid to grammar and syntax.

Additionally, Mattie's behaviour is sometimes conflicting where her love life is concerned, and also with Officer Dan with whom she is sometimes friends and at other times not-so-friendly. Breaking up with her boyfriend for a silly reason does not go down well, when she is the one who keeps secrets from him. Mattie is also portrayed as a convincing liar who also uses swearwords or alternative swearwords which are even more offending than actually using swearwords. Mattie can defend herself very well and can bring down a man thrice her size, but in climax at the end when she has to get away from the killer woman, Mrs. Olson, she cannot do much. Okay, admitted, she is injured but still... During the whole novel, Mattie is portrayed as brave but where does all the bravery go when the reader expects at least some of it to show.

Officer Dan's character is not that strong either. Does he not have any other case besides Mattie's wherein he has to figure out what happened to Sally and the others? And why is not any other cop involved in Mattie's case since Officer Dan is very new on the job (just few weeks)? Officer Dan does not seem cop-like. He never returns Mattie's calls but somehow he is always around Mattie in public places when she is out with her friends.

The guys in the novel (Jake, Officer Dan, Tommy, Mason, and the ghost Eric) are all attracted to Mattie and Mattie feels the same attraction towards them all except Tommy. Now how can that be? How can one fall in and out of love so easily? Some things like these in the narrative are hard to digest but overall the author has done a great job with the narrative on the whole. Will I read another novel by the same author? Yes, I was captivated by the narrative and how the story evolved. I recommend reading the novel.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm very mixed over my thoughts on this novel. The story idea (girl who sees ghosts and ends up getting involved, against her better judgement, in the solving of a case) was really interesting and had so much potential. I could really see how the writer had managed to produce another two novels, because the topic had lots of places it could go.

The story structure and chapter structure was very well done. The key events and introduction of characters are spread out and there is a clear build up towards the ending. The pace, particularly in the second half of the book, is fast and exciting. Questions are planted in the first chapter that kept me wanting to read on. Unfortunately right near the end the plot seems to fall apart and we're left very unsatisfied by who turns out to be the murderer, because there are no clues at all to suggest it's that person. We feel left out of the loop and almost like the writer changed her mind right at the end. I believe it would have been much more powerful if clues had been planted and we'd maybe figured it out a second of two before Mattie. The writing itself is good, there's description when needed and the writer doesn't rely too heavily on it.

The voice of the protagonist, Mattie Hathaway, is where things start to go wrong. The voice is very believable as a teenage girl, but the language can be so repetitive. Mattie stats early on that she doesn't swear, which is fine, I don't swear, but I also don't say 'fudgepops' when I'm in life and death situations. Even those of us who watch our language have stronger language (even if it's not swear words) in our ammo for more stressful situations. Mattie's repetition isn't just in her language but in her logic. One minute Mattie is friendly with Officer Dan, then she's angry with him, then she's friendly; and her reasoning for doing is unrealistic and makes her seem childish and even selfish at times.

Characterisation in general is a big flaw in this novel. All of the male characters are physically perfect, overly confident and fancy Mattie. In my opinion it isn't realistic for teenage boys to be so obvious about fancying a girl, particularly when they know she has a girlfriend. Mattie didn't seem particularly surprised by this attention, and even stated at one point that she knew she was attractive. She also changed her mind every few seconds about who her 'soul mate' was. The whole romance aspect of the book made Mattie seems shallow and unlikable, especially when at times she seems to care more about who would be her boyfriend, rather than solving the murder.

Similar to the issues with the guys, the girls had the opposite problem. All female characters introduced seemed to have very obvious flaws, except Mattie, and all of them had a strong rivalry against her. Officer Dan's girlfriend in particular was a caricature and I found it extremely unlikely that he would ever date someone that obnoxious.

In conclusion. If you're a fan of supernatural young adult fiction, then this could be worth a read especially as it's free on Kindle. However, I won't be reading on in the series, which is a pity because I did enjoy the story, just not Mattie. And as the book is written in first person, this is quite a major issue.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For a FREE read it is well worth reading

Ok this book probably wouldn't earn a 5* rating if it was a serious contender for Crime and Paranormal fiction. But for a YA read that features crime, ghosts and a hint of romance - it's decent.

I read this during the night (my boyfriend was away on business) and I actually had to sleep with the lights on ;-)

There are plot holes, clichés, factual errors, and also the omnipresent Officer Dan appears to appear everywhere Mattie is. However, this doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the book - plus it's free so who cares.

----------------------------------------------
Characters:

Mattie Louise Hathaway: 16yo, ghost-interacting heroine extraordinaire who is proficient with a fist, bratty, extrovert/ confident, a tad angst-y and apathetic, sarcastic (occasionally irritating), tries too hard to be the jaded-"I'm-so-cool" bada$$, however, also a sweet kid who has suffered sufficient trauma to warrant a lack of trust with the system and people (not to mention being vulnerable to attacks from the living and dead).
Some of the things she stays is pretty nafff (although I imagine the author was going for profound and sophisticated) like "trust must earned Officer Dan" blah blah.
She also appears to have almost every young male within eye-contact vicinity in lust or in love with her (her best friend's boyfriend Tommy, Jake her kind-of-boyfriend, Dan, Dan's friend Mason and even the ghosts aren't exempt from becoming infatuated with her stunning good-looks and riveting personality e.g. Eric Cameron).

Officer Dan Richards: or Officer Dan (as Mattie *sarcastically* calls him) is a 20yo rookie (newly recruited) police officer and university student (studying forensic sciences), plays in a rock band and has a bimbo girlfriend (whom Mattie detests). I'm hoping he and Mattie eventually end up together but we shall see what happens when she's no longer "jailbait". I won't say too much about him as it'll give away too much of the story. He's the only person to be aware of Mattie's ghost-interaction abilities (although later on there is a Doc - but he's an expert not really a "friend").

Supporting Characters

Jake Owens: 18yo jock at Mattie's school, totally hot and her boyfriend. A very nice guy, however, he fizzles out towards the end (he's just too nice for Mattie). Unaware of Mattie's crime fighting and ghost actives (although he does visit her in hospital)

Megan: 16yo rich girl (daddy is the Mayor) and Mattie's best friend. Makes a few appearances in the book. Unaware of Mattie's crime fighting and ghost actives (she doesn't even visit her in hospital).

Tommy: 18 yo pervert and Magana's boyfriend. Has a roving eye and also has a thing for Mattie (this however afflicts most young men). Mattie detests him. Not much else going for him in this book.

Eric Cameron: 17yo ghost who appears to have a thing for Mattie (no surprise there, seems to be a running theme).

The Olsen: are Mattie's foster parents.

Sally: is Mattie's foster sister whom she sees as a ghost gloating about with a bullet hole in her head which commences Mattie's crime-fighting and ghost-interacting activities.
-----------------------------------------------
Plot
Decent plot, fast-paced enough to be interesting, but also rather erratic at times. Like researching ghosts suddenly after all these years of experiencing sightings was rather too convenient - I appreciate she did it because her murdered foster sister was making ghostly appearances but surely one would expect her to be a tad interested prior to that?

Disenfranchised after a series of foster homes and abuse isn't a new theme and rather stereotypical of the Foster Care system, but the author manages to execute it without it turning into a tearjerker.

There are plot holes, and the manner in which Mattie suddenly decides to trust Dan with her secrets seemed to quick and random. Something a but more meaningful (like him saving her or having met her previously and committed a good deed that she remembered years later) would have sufficed to bring some clarity as to her sudden confession.
on 18 September 2014
I loved this book couldn't stop reading it. When you think you know the killer it switches everything you thought on it head and surprises you it someone else. I could read this more than once. Can't wait the read the others in the series. I couldn't stop thinking about this wanting to know just a little more before bed time but then you look at the clock and it's 3am and you have no choice but to put it down and go to sleep but you are looking forward to bedtime again to find out what's happening. Highly enjoyable book. Loved every minute of this read. A+
on 21 October 2014
Not my usual type of story at all, but...

My Wife told me I just HAD to read this one, and I'm glad I did. A brilliantly written story that, although it's apparently for young adults, crosses the age gap and enthralled us two old farts! We ordered 2 and 3 immediately, breaking our 'always freebies and never pay' rue. Well, we are pensioners after all.

Follow Mattie, cringe and wince at the descriptions, then say 'WHAT!' at the very end.

Apryl Baker, you are one super writer!
on 27 May 2014
Being a big fan of YA novels, I did not expect this book to be so different. Sixteen year old Mattie has lived in Foster care since the age of five, when she was nearly killed by her mother.

She has seen ghosts ever since but did not tell anybody to avoid being labelled as being strange. She usually ignores them until she sees the ghost of her Foster Sister, who had been murdered. Even then, she is apprehensive about telling anyone for fear of being labelled. Whilst trying to obtain information from one of the ghosts who visited her, she gets injured and ends up in hospital.

She meets Dan who has newly joined the police force and decides to trust him and confides in him. He does not believe in ghosts but decides to help, when he sees some of her drawings.

When following the ghost of her Foster Sister, she ends up being caught by the murderer who is a serial killer. The twists and turns in this book kept me captivated. She barely gets out alive and Dan stands by her. There is a connection between them, which has yet to be defined.

The way the book ended has definitely piqued my curiosity and I want to find out what happens next. Needless to say that I will be buying book #2.

This is an excellent read, which I would fully recommend if you like the Paranormal. Expect the unexpected!