Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 31 March 2013
An excellent album, if you like Alestorm and/or power metal in general this is great. It has that thing that Alestorm music has, in that it doesn't take itself too seriously, so it is sort of funny as well as great to listen to, which makes it even more enjoyable.
on 5 April 2013
To any fans of Alestorm out there, remember that first time you played an Alestorm song... that feeling returns when you put in Gloryhammer for the first time! A great album! I do however have one slight problem and that is I feel there wasn't enough Epicness given to some parts in the songs but that doesn't hold it back! Just remember that Gloryhammer are not taking themselves seriously and you will enjoy this album better than any other power metal album for the year! If you loved Alestorm and are hoping for album 4 then Gloryhammer will keep you sated until then and before long you'll be chanting along to the songs!
on 27 April 2013
The whole power metal scene has been getting a bit stale over the past few years in my opinion. I just dont enjoy bands like Rhapsody (both of them) or Sonata Arctica and never really got into Iced Earth or other bands like Manowar, although i always liked the idea of power metal i just never found the perfect sound. Gloryhammer has the perfect sound. Alestorm fits into the group of bands just getting stale, their first album being the only one i really enjoyed. Im going to be following Gloryhammer a lot closer than Alestorm from now on and they have definately made it to the top of my list of best power metal bands. They just sound so fresh and epic. One of the reviews ive read said that they follow the 101 Rules of Power Metal published on Metal Storm which is a hilarious read: [...]

The singer also auditioned when Dragonforce were looking for a new vocalist so check that audition out on youtube. Its excellent but im glad he ended up doing Gloryhammer instead. Power metal desperately need them.

The limited edition is a very nice digipack with a nice thick and glossy booklet. Theres a funny map that most might not recognise as scotland (the Kingdom of Fife is a real place and its my duty as a scotsman to listen to all scottish metal) with all the landmarks from the songs thrown in along with some gaelic (Dun Eideann is gaelic for Edinburgh). The standard edition artwork is actually the only thing i dont like about this album so thats the main reason i bought the limited edition. The bonus track is excellent as well but a bit short. I would have liked maybe one or two more but every track on the album is excellent anyway so im not bothered. Its well worth the price.

Anyway, this is probably going to be in my top ten albums of 2013 and the best power metal release of the year and one of the best bands to come out of scotland in a long time. Buy it.
on 10 December 2013
I come from Fife and this album is spot on. You can barely move for dwarfs battling wizards.
The instrumentals reek of Caslevania old soundtracks but there are historically accurate lyrics to back this up.
I nearly cried.
I must go now there is a dragon laying seige to my casle.
on 16 April 2013
Let's be honest here, if you like your power metal, of the epic fantasy type, then there has not been much to shout about for the last few years.
The goldern era of the late 1990's and early 2000, seems to have disappeared long ago.
Even the likes of Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, who you could always seemily rely on for quality Euro-cheese power metal, have come up short in recent years.

I never could get Alestorm's so called humour, they seem like a bad joke to me. Though I do get Spinal Tap and Bad News, Alestorm went right under my radar and into the abyss!

Which brings us nicely to Gloryhammer, the brain child of, yes Alestorm keyboardist Christopher Bowes!
It seems Bowes has been saving his best material for Gloryhammer, throwing every power metal, dungeons and dragons imagery, fantasy lyrics, cheesy song titles into the mix and coming out with this masterpeice.

Yes I did say materpeice, not a term I use often at all.
Everything here seems to fit together, work perfectly and I even bought the digipak for the bonus track, 'Wizards', and I normally avoid those flimsy cardboard sleeves.
on 5 August 2014
This is one of the more intresting power metal albums. It's good in that it doesn't take itself seriously at all (and with the subject matter that's god!) but the music is still well constructed and well played.

The concept is about an evil wizard overtaking Dundee, and the hero who quests to retrieve the chosen weapon to defeat the evil wizard, save the princess and blah blah blah. So it's basically a mickey-take of the general fanatasy troupes and clichies. This is immediately obvious with the first actual song (after the spoken intro) about an army of zombie unicorns overrunning Dundee. Yup. Zombie Unicorns. This whole album is full of songs and lyrics that raise a real smile (Magic Dragon is my personal favourite - I grin like a loon when it's on.)

This wouldn't mean a lot however if the music was rubbish. Thankfully for Gloryhammer it isn't. The band themselves play well , and the vocalist has the perfect voice for this kind of music. The production is done well, it actually gives the instruments some space so that, unlike a lot of power metal, the bass and drums actually have some prescence outside of being a faint buzz somewhere under the guitars. Yes there are overwrought guitar solo's, but that's kinda what you want from power metal.

It's not perfect, some songs such as "Amulet of Justice" "The Epic Rage of Furious Thunder" drag on a bit and lack some cohesion, and the while the band play well, this is not the most profcient of power metal in terms of the chord strucutures and solo's, but these are minor issues on an otherwise good album. Recommended.
on 4 June 2013
This album is just brilliant, and great fun. Full of cheese, great lyrics, instrumental epic, and song called Unicorn Invasion of Dundee is just contribution to this great fun album.

If you love cheesy power metal and would like an album to cheer up dreary days, this is the album for you. =]
on 10 June 2014
Having been listening to the likes of Tristania, Within Temptation, Delain, Serenity etc I was looking for something abit more...epic and along comes Gloryhammer. This album is just brilliant with not a single 'weak' song on the album. The album gets off to a great start with the short but superb 'Anstruther's Dark Phrophecy' and continues with the equally excellent 'The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee' (my personal favourite) and so on. It really is an epic album and rather than just have unrelated songs this has a story which the album follows through. The vocals are superb (Thomas L Winkler) and all the members of Gloryhammer chip in (the videos are also amazing).
I was setting up bunk beds with my eleven year old daughter and by the time we had finished she was singing along as well (hopefully a metal head in the making). I just wish I could have listened to this earlier so I could have seen them live.
Obvioulsy being of the brainchild of Alestorm you kind of know what to expect but this is just miles better (in my opinion) than anything Alestorm have done. The melodies are spot on, along with the riffs, drums and keyboards. If you appreciate Metal, of any sort, then 'Gloryhammer: Tales from the Kingdom of Fife' must sit in your collection. My only problem is with such a superb album as this they have a lot to live up to with their second album however I will be following Gloryhammer with interest and can't wait for more to come from this undoubtedly talented band. So without further ado I must leave now, there is hammer of glory I have to find, along with Angus McFife.
on 11 September 2013
Loved it!Epic power metal in its finest. Reminds of old Rhapsody. Solid production.
They do not re-invent the genre but they stand far above the descending Edguy and other epic bands who are trying to find 'new' sound.
I believe they will take off in their next albums.
on 15 February 2014
Gloryhammer are a band that do not take themselves too seriously - and in the genre of power metal this is itself worthy of note. I mean, a unicorn invasion of Dundee as an opening concept does not immediately make one think of Manowar and pompous self involved lyrics of that ilk, but they do tick all the right boxes - fast guitars, glorious time changes and the odd mention of steel and sorcery. The only thing that does not earn itself the full 5 stars is the fairly naive musicianship that seems to be on display - but given time I think this band could grow into something a bit special. I will definitely be looking out for this band in the future (as will my two young boys, who think this is both awesome, and hilarious - they definitely give the album 5 stars!)