on 28 December 2013
I agree with other reviewers that this was an interesting and gripping story, but my reading enjoyment was spoiled by the large number of mistakes - a fault with his previous novels too. Page layout is eccentric, with the first line of every paragraph indented, giving the pages an untidy look. There are too many spelling mistakes, including our old friend 'hoard' for 'horde', and - horror of horrors - 'true cross of Cavalry' instead of 'Calvary'. Punctuation varies: the apostrophes are in the right places - well done! - but there is a severe lack of commas. Capital letters appear randomly where there should not be one, and are missing where there should be.
Two major faults occur throughout the book: firstly, rendering Holy Land as 'holy-land' - why the hyphen? Secondly, and most obvious, the name of the famous Crusader fortress Krak des Chevaliers omits the final 's' - "des" is plural, so "Chevaliers" must be too.
Why are so many reviewers reluctant to mention these errors, which should not occur, even in a self-published book? Mr Ashman needs to get a proof-reader raised on British English; a good test would be knowing that a knight named Sir Abdul Khoury would be addressed as Sir Abdul, not Sir Khoury, and that knights were not called "Sire", a royal title (except in American films).
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2013
All the books that Kevin writes are always captivating , and well planed ,I always look forward to a new book from him , and the stories are never the same , wether it be one about Romans cave people or up to date detective stories they are always great ,
on 22 December 2014
This book is a great disappointment. I found it difficult to deal with my irritation at the careless spelling and indifferent punctuation. There is no excuse for writing of instead of off.

Sadly the anachronisms were also glaring. This author needs a new editor.
on 30 July 2014
A good story, but some research on details such as clothing would have prevented some basic errors which for me spoiled it.
on 20 February 2014
A fascinating novel beginning in a village forge, culminating in the Holy Land, and returning back to the original village. You are taken with the young' hero' through all of his many adventures pretty seamlessly.
Lots of insights into many aspects of medievel life both in England and in . the Holy land are explored and talked about, but for me only briefly thus my 4 stars. Parts of this book weren't just too short, which is a great shame, as I really enjoyed it. I'd certainly recommend it, damned good read!
on 24 August 2013
Enthralled, so hard to put down. You really don't have to be a history buff to read this book. It was so well researched and I learnt a lot of facts about the era without having to study, so bonus. The story sucks you in, your in there living the story, it was smashing. I wanted to get to the end for the outcome, however I didn't want it to finish either. I so hope we have a Medieval two in the pipeline.
on 21 September 2015
Loved the broad Canvas of the story from a small Smithy in Wales to the Magnificent castles of the Holy Land
on 14 June 2015
I finished my first Kevin Ashman novel 2 weeks ago (The Last Citadel) and I was hooked on his style and amazing and amazing story telling. This book just made me fall even more in love with his stories. It had me gripped, I finished this within a couple of days because I was so hooked. I can't wait to read the next one. If you like historical fiction this book is for you!
on 13 April 2015
I loved this book - couldn't put it down. I can forgive a few errors as the story captivated me and kept me engaged. It transported me to the time and place and I could imagine some of the horrors of the dungeons and injuries sustained in the battles. Really looking forward to more in the series by this author, I'm sure he has more adventures planned for Garyn.
on 20 October 2013
All Kevin ashmans books have kept me reading ,wanting to turn the page yet not wanting the book to end ,every story is easy to read , not over complicated but drawing the reader in . Hopefully in the near future someone of note will pick up one of his books and get Kevin the big break that he so deserves, best of luck Kevin for the future