5.0 out of 5 stars Billy's Back
This book is loosely based on the screenplay by Lee Hall and tells Billy's story from the perspective of most of the main characters.
It does contain storylines that are not featured in the movie and although written for a more junior market, this is a great read for all fans of the film. You can easily picture Jamie Bell as Billy on each page.
Published on 27 Sep 2002 by Gareth J. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars not great!
Ok, not great!
Published 27 days ago by steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy's Back, 27 Sep 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
Got this book because I really enjoyed Billy Elliot the musical. I think the quality of the book was very good for the used condition and it was delivered three working days later for free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my Grand-daughter, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
So I didn't read it but she tells me that it is a great book and so I guess I'll just have to take her word for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
I thought Billy Eliot was a fantastic book I really enjoyed reading it, and couldn't put it down. Outstanding (5 STAR). BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ! I would definitely recommend it to all ages above 12 even if you don't like reading, (I don't, much!). Billy Eliot A MUST READ.

Henry age 12

4.0 out of 5 stars Came alive, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Kindle Edition)
More detail than the film...literally did "read between the lines" Had great fun with the accent, would have liked it to have gone further into Billy"s career .

3.0 out of 5 stars not great!, 2 July 2014
Ok, not great!

5.0 out of 5 stars English subject, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
Bought it for my son for school as this story is being used for his junior cert exam next year

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Elliot, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
A great book giving the perspectives of a number of different people in the Billy Elliot story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written adaptation of an equally fantastic movie, 15 Sep 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
I picked this up in a charity shop for about 50p- it's been a long time since I saw the movie so I wanted a bit of a refresher of the plot, which I definitely got in this short but excellent read.

Based around the 1980's Thatcherite government during the miner's strikes, picketing and poverty, 12-year-old County Durham lad Billy is growing up in the care of his widowed father, miner Jackie, and his elder brother Tony. His elderly Nan lives with them- but it's a bit of a struggle getting by, particularly as his dad and brother are taking part in the union strikes and expect that one day too, Billy will become a miner. Billy however has other plans- he's always been a bit nippy on his feet, and when he stumbles across a ballet class run nearby, he becomes interested and starts taking lessons in secret.

A truly fabulous adaptation of a very moving film that shows that everyone should reach for their dreams, no matter how seemingly impossible- this book reiterated in my mind just how much I loved the movie and how much I want to see it again. Whether or not you've seen the film, this is worth a read- it's quick but doesn't miss anything pivotal out, which is often the case with books based around the films. I liked how it was written from different characters perspectives too- in the film you don't always get an idea of what each person is thinking, so that was really refreshing- and all the characters are very interesting and different, so the plot flowed well.

One bit I did find a bit irritating though (the only thing!) was the censoring of certain swear words in the text and not others- surely they'd all be blocked out? A bit of consistency would have made sense there. This is only a minor niggle though- otherwise I loved every word. As a north-east girl originally, dare I also admit that it made me feel a bit homesick?! Miner's strikes, Maggie Thatcher and all.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An embracing,moving and witty story, 7 April 2001
This review is from: Billy Elliot (Paperback)
Billy Elliot is exceptionally well written. It draws you into the book and puts you into the characters way of thinking.You almost feel as if you were the poor,working class boy that is Billy Elliot. The thing that I like the most is the fact that the story line is original. I don't re call reading a book with a similar story line which leads me to believe that Melivin Burgess had to use a lot of initiative to write this book. I definitely recommened this book to any one who likes emotional stories. How ever I am not going to fool you and put heart warming instead of sad which it most definitely is in some parts, as some reviewers would do. It is also extremely amusing as well. It's an all round good read!!

Billy Elliot