5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone
Published 4 months ago by ANTHONY JOHN JENKINSON

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a great board... for 3 weeks.
Pros: Slapped my G3258 in and fired it up. Worked right away. The BIOS was intuitive and very powerful for adjusting settings.

Published 5 months ago by MJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Asus H81M-PLUS Motherboard (Socket 1150, Intel H81, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, PCI Express 2.0, HDMI, USB 3.0) (Accessory)
Works very well and has superseded my 7 year old Asus motherboard with a AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ CPU. Would recommend to anyone. The choice for a cpu cooler is a pain for my Aerocool M40 micro-ATX case, as you are pretty much restricted to low profile cpu heatsinks. I was going to purchase the new Arctic Freezer Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler 11 LP but pulled the plug at the last minute, as I saw reports the fan covers the graphics card slot!!! Have a look at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/low-profile-heat-sink-mini-itx,review-32826.html & http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm, but some of these coolers are a bit out of date and the dB(A) sound level is not as good as the new Arctic Freezer 11 LP as the Arctic 11 LP is their latest. When I can save up again, I will purchase the Noctua NH-L9i as it's Intel certified to have full clearance of 'all board slots'. Cheap and temporary options are: Gelid Solutions SlimHero Low Profile CPU Cooler, Gelid Solutions Slim Silence iPlus Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler, Prolimatech's Samuel 17 . Take a look at http://www.quietpc.com/lga1156-coolers. I purchased the Xilence L240 Intel Cpu Cooler 100mm Fan for eight pounds and saw a review it's very quiet and cools just as good as a liquid cooler for a temporary fit - is compatible with LGA1150 as posted on Xilence website. The Xilence I240 Intel Cpu Cooler 100mm Fan will clear all slots. There is a 92mm Xilence I140. See http://www.xilence.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/intel-cpu-cooler/i140.html. I'm not overclocking or gaming, just general internet use, so my choice for the G1820 was the reason (See CPUBoss site for comparing CPU's). See YouTube videos for the G1820 performance. I was quite surprised. MSI 700 series Graphics cards run faster than all other manufacturers!!! The fan-less 'dead silent' MSI GT720/ N720 1GB DDR3 version is 35 quid and uses 22 Watts of power!!! Low profile too!!! Memory - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz 2 x 2GB dual channel. SSD - Corsair Force LS Sata III 60GB. Be aware the Kingston V300's run a lot slower than the old ones and reviews are referring to the old batch. Issues reported with Samsung EVO's. Corsair SSD's are a solid build all round. Most importantly: SSD's do not like being de-fragmented. What the SSD manufacturers should be doing is enclosing a document to 'Turn Off' Disk De-Fragment. Windows does this automatically in the background and will shorten the life of your SSD. Turn it off as soon as possible!!! See PrimaryDrive:\windows\system32\dfrgui.exe. No wonder people on Amazon reporting dead drive months down the line!!! I installed Windows 7 Professional, Asus software, all security software, XBMC player, a load of mp3 music, and I still have 30 GB left!!! I highly advise backing up new files on a regular basis from an SSD, like I do on my Samsung Spinpoint 750GB Sata II drive. Low power PC now. Very nice!!! Will be 7 to 10 years before I even think about upgrading again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry level board, 4 April 2015
Great Value

Obviously at this price it's not a high end motherboard, but with the software it uses, it makes you feel like your operating some kind of next gen PC. EZ bios looks a bit like an interface from iron man, and unlike the good old award bios, you don't need to learn how to use it, it's quite self explanatory. The interface for graphics settings is very easy to use, and also looks kinda futuristic. Apart from that, it's a standard motherboard really. It does the job. I'd highly recommend it for a computer enthusiast with little experience, or someone with fairly high needs (like planning to start making films or photography, or taking a step towards high end gaming maybe), but little experience. The PC I built uses it's built in graphics, from a Pentium G3258 and it scores 5 point something on the (crappy) windows experience index. But it renders everything in a pretty way. If you built a computer for someone inexperienced, using this, they will be amazed by it.

In short a great entry level motherboard thats very easy to configure and does everything in a pretty way.... but it is only an entry level board.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little board, 2 Nov. 2014
Bollard - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I didn't get this from Amazon but I had to write to confirm that this is a good little board. Yes, for similar money you can get a better specified B85 board (I have the MSI B85M-E45 on another PC) but this board saved my bacon when a USB port shorted-out. The Asus went into a protective mode and rebooted, telling me why. It restarted and I have never used that port since! I have no idea if all mobos would do this, but it was the Asus that did it so I think it should be mentioned.

My H81M-PLUS has been working reliably since October 2014 (now March 2015) and although Asus has released an updated BIOS for 'stability' I have never had any issues with the board and I am not sure I will run the update. I had quite enough of that with a Gigabyte board that had four BIOS updates in fewer than six months! On my experience this is a good, stable mobo and it earns 5 Stars for stability less 1 Star for being close to the price of a B85 board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap good Asus Micro atx, 7 Jan. 2014
Used this board to build my intel I5 4670k and hd 7870 gaming build and it does the job very well, no problems

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and good quality., 1 Aug. 2014
A great value for money board at this price. Nice build quality, capacity for two extra USB 3 compared to normal H81 chip set. Good backup from Asus. New BIOS allows overclocking of G3258 pentium. Some front panel connectors cramped for space. Plug them in before any pcie cards!

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a great board... for 3 weeks., 12 Dec. 2014

Cons: It died after 3 weeks consisting of probably 5 hours of usage. It started first with it wouldn't turn on. Then when it turned on it would randomly restart. Then it would turn on for 1 second and restart for 3. Thinking it was RAM, CPU, PSU I replaced them all and still had the same results.

Because of this board and the problems I have had recently with my Asus Transformer I doubt I will ever buy any Asus products again. It is a shame really as they used to be really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of questions on which Bios these boards comes ..., 17 Nov. 2014
J. Caddis (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A lot of questions on which Bios these boards comes with and wither there will be problems with Haswell refresh CPU's One comment in the FAQ stated that bios Version 0807 is installed and I can confirm this as correct. My system booted no problem using an Intel i3 4150 CPU. I had already downloaded bios Version 2104 onto a USB stick and was already plugged in on first boot. Then go to tools in bios and used EZbios to update, no problems whatsoever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget build Base!, 19 Oct. 2014
I wondered about BIOS issues but I needn't. It worked fine from the box. It overclocked my G3258 straight to 4.6 on 1.27V and now 4.8 on 1.3V. Great! Onboard graphics are crap though so don't bother. The only other issue was I didn't check expansion slots and ended up losing my SB Gamer soundcard as its PCI-E only expansion ( the only fly in the ointment)

5.0 out of 5 stars great board, 8 Jun. 2014
The product comes with everything you need for a great self build. Dont think twice about this unit for a home build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to!, 20 May 2014
When this motherboard arrived, installation was simple. It's small (obviously, it's M-ATX), and comes packed with just the basics requred to connect things up (2 SATA cables). You should really have anything else you need with the connecting devices anyway.

Upon installation, I found that the UI is similar to the more expensive Z87-Pro motherboard that I use in my gaming computer, and while the additional options weren't all there, it had more than enough options available, with additional extras, for my small office computer. From what I'm able to ascertain, you should be able to overclock and perform some of the higher level functions with this product as well, but if you're aiming to use the machine in a more enthusiast role, it might be better to consider some of the higher models.

I haven't come across any compatibility issues yet, but I'm just using it with a G3420 Pentium processor which is providing the Intel HD graphics, and everything else I need beyond a hard drive and a PSU is already on board.

Excellent little motherboard for the money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›