5.0 out of 5 stars Max Bloom is back......and this time he's airborne!
Published 12 months ago by G. Waters

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good follow up
The Cornerstone is an original and amusing take on teenage angst and fantasy. Characters are introduced and well drawn (even the dog). This book is an attempt to do a follow up and doesn't develop any of the characters from The Cornerstone. It repeats the basic plot. It repeats the sort of language. It is boring.
Published 12 months ago by David Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Max Bloom is back......and this time he's airborne!, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Wordsmith: The Cornerstone Book 2: A Fast Paced Fantasy Sequel (Kindle Edition)
Having really enjoyed the first Cornerstone, I was pleased to see that Nick Spalding had written a sequel. Max Bloom is back in The Chapter Lands a year after his last adventure and all isn't as well as it seems. Some murders elsewhere in the Chapter Lands followed by a dramatic turn of events at the annual Wordmeet (a competition for the most powerful Wordsmiths) means Max once again becomes caught up in a battle which can only be won with the power of words! Max is as sarcastic but likeable as ever and his blossoming relationship with Merelie adds some romance. There's also a great twist mid way through which I hadn't been expecting and helps shed some light on why Max was transported to The Chapter Land in the first place. With a fast pace and good humour, I'd recommend this to anyone who wants an exciting and fun read, although you do need to read book one first in order to understand some of the references. I hope there will be a third one one day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the first, 23 Sep 2013
Yaoilover (Stanley, Falkland Islands) - See all my reviews
It is rare for a sequel to be as good as the first book but Nick manages it with style. I knew there had to be more to Max's family and although I guessed the plot twist before I even started the first chapter, I still enjoyed the characters realisation of the truth.

Max is wonderful mainly because he's so rude without being coarse. Too often rebellious teenage boys in young adult fiction are so self-centred and so much in love with themselves the reader starts wanting the bad guy to win just to shut the male lead up. But I was routing for Max from the start till the end. The fact that Max uses his 'super powers' for his own gain is wonderfully refreshing and, let's face it, more realistic. But Max does use his powers for good if the need arises and you never feel like he's a 'bad guy' even when he's fanlanting his abilities and enjoying the attention he receives because of it.

The only thing I didn't like was the way the bad guy kept coming back to life. It was funny the first couple of times then it just became dull. The fact that Max mentions this doesn't take away the 'oh get on with it' feeling that I had towards the end.

Overall a great sequel and I am very much looking forward to the next one as there is no way Nick could leave us hanging on an ending like that!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT., 31 Aug 2013
Brilliant. Un-put-downable. Really enjoyed book 1 and book 2 was not a let down. There has been nothing comparable since Harry potter. Want to start reading all over again! Hurry up with book 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wordsmith, 29 Aug 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Max Bloom is back and this time he's had a year to hone his powers and he's the most powerful wordsmith in the land, but certainly not the greatest. He's still a teenager (in lurve) and is still immature.

This is a cracking romp and I flew through the story.

I'm unsure of the lower end of the target audience of this as there is some very minor swearing (such as bloody hell) which would make me reluctant to recommend it to my 10 year old nephew, even though I think he'd love the action and adventure. I certainly enjoyed it, the pace was high and it was very exciting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel, 5 Oct 2013
I loved the first book but couldn't see how the story could be developed without becoming trite and predictable. I was very pleasantly surprised, although I could guess some of the directions the plot would move in there were enough surprises along the way to keep me reading avidly. The quirky humour is still running through the book, the author has his own way of looking at things which really resonates with me. The character of Max (such a true to life picture of a teenage boy in the first book) is still authentic although he has grown up slightly but he is still the basically decent, occasionally bolshy, sulky teenager that made me smile in recognition. Recommended as a sequel that doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel to 'The Cornerstone'!, 19 Sep 2013
I've been eagerly awaiting this book and I was not disappointed! This is a brilliant sequel that highlights more of the backstory and really puts down roots for how Max came to be a wordsmith. There is also a killer twist at the end..... if you've read the first book you have to read this one, if not, then get both books and get reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spalding does it again!, 4 Sep 2013
I love Nick Spalding's books - they manage to be funny and gripping and timeless. My son and my father love the Cornerstone books too - he can span generations! Max is a great character - with a teenage son myself, oh can I identify with some of his ... quirks, shall we say?! The Cornerstone book 2 carries on from the end of part 1 and keeps up the pace. I thoroughly recommend this book (and the first one) if you enjoy being transported to a fantastical world of words....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Sep 2013
K. Covill "bookworm" (kent england) - See all my reviews
Even better than the first book which I loved. Max is a brilliant character who makes me laugh (especially as I have a teenage boy). Story really draws you in and I hope we don't wait too long for the next one. Thank you Nick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but gripping, 4 July 2014
Nick Spalding has a quirky and very British sense of humour that is more obvious in his non-fantasy books. From the author's own description, the Cornerstone series developed by accident from a simple idea that he let develop and was as surprised as anyone by how it evolved. I bought the first book because I was familiar with the author's work, but it is a significant departure from his other work. Funny, yes, as expected, but well written, gripping and engaging. This second book in the Cornerstone series was bought simply because I enjoyed the first book and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not only as good as the first, but in many ways, better. In particular, there are considerably more twists to the story, some of which are a little obvious but others highly unexpected, with some very significant developments to both the plot and some of the supporting characters. I was not totally convinced there was much more room to expand the story after the first book, but I was pleasantly surprised by the new scope introduced. It could very easily have ended at two books, but there is a huge twist on the very last page that blows the capacity for a third wide open. If you like Nick Spalding, read the first book. If you like the first book, read the second. Once you have, you will definitely want to read a third.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book 2 - Waiting to purchase the 3rd book !, 13 Jun 2014
Having bought and read book 1 I was hoping book 2 was as good and I was not disappointed. The continued story takes you on a journey with the main character and shows him grow and become the great wordsmith that he is. The family reunion is great and makes you look forward to the nbext book. A MUST read !