Install time 17 mins on a Intel Core i3 Laptop
Pretty straight forward although Im not 100% sure a 28 digit serial key is completely necessary in 2013 but nevertheless installation was swift and straight forward
Took up about 3.5 gig of ram which is not bad given the power of this software
I have been using Corel for many many years but I am by no means an expert illustrator.I have used it for various projects including flyers, posters, logos, cd and dvd inserts etc.
As well as being a desktop publishing suite Corel Draw has its own version of Photoshop for editing photos in some of the most spectacular ways possible and this version is more powerful than ever. In just a few clicks you can delete a person from a photo, add effects reshape, resize add text etc.
Some of the new design features available in this version gives even more creativity possible with regards personalising open type fonts by adding swirls, twirls and distorting and morphing like never before thus giving you the power to create some stuning and truly original fonts or lettering styles to completely personalise you project.
Included in this latest version of Corel Draw is Corel Connect which gives you:
1000 Photos~
10'000 Clipart
1000 Fonts
350 Templates
2000 Vehicle Templates
800 Patterns and Frames
As well as instant access to Fotilai and Istock photos and a natty little feature where you can input a website in the search engine and Corel Draw will automatically recognise and remove any images used on that particular website but please adhere to copyright rules and laws.
If like me your still really limited as to what you know or can do there is also included in this latest version and almost endless supply of hits, tips, tutorials and even videos showing you all manor of things from basic navigation and typesetting to really advanced vector tools and if these dont get you creative juices flowing then I don't know what will.
Amazing product as always from Corel but for me personally this latest version has so much more to offer than ever before and I will be using this for a very very long time indeed.
on 5 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Corel they have crippled functionality of this Home/Student edition, but they not been transparent about it.

WHY would they do such a thing?
==============
It's to discourage professional designers from buying the cheap-as-chips version (this product) instead of Corel Draw X6 (which costs several hundred pounds). I found this out after some digging around - it was on a blogpost on their official site.

Whilst that makes sense, they should make people aware of this BEFORE purchase.

WHAT is different
==============

- Native 64-bit OS support [this seems like an arbitrary limitation]
- No VBA / VSTA support
- Macro functions disabled [students need to learn how to automate stuff]
- Some professional print options disabled, such as Prepress, Preflight, Separations, etc.
- "Enhanced Color Management disabled: Some CMYK features disabled"
- Some additional functions and support removed, such as Color Styles, Object Styles, color harmonies, etc. - Some external file format support removed, such as DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.
- Advanced OpenType features removed
- Some Colour Management Options removed
- No printed hardcover book [though electronic version included.. so that's fair enough]

SNEAKY?
=====

You may wish to note that this important information [with the exception stuff about documentation in electronic format rather than printed] does not appear in the product description, above. WHY THE HELL NOT? (Racking my brain and all I can think of is - it would hurt sales)

I think £79 WOULD be a fair price for a 3-licence Home/Student version IF they had been transparent about this. I would have given at least ⭐️⭐️⭐️.

I feel it SHOULD be displayed, prominently! It ought to be in bold text or a comparison table. Why is it omitted? I STRONGLY SUGGEST COREL HAVE THIS INFORMATION ADDED TO THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION (ABOVE) so customers are better informed.

RANT
=====
Some of the arbitrary, capricious limitations seem INCREDIBLY PETTY. [Object Styles and Colour Styles are NOT pro features!]
But even so. I would have rated this 3 or 4 stars, if this info was made clear to people before purchase.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I was working, I used several Corel products including a very early version of CorelDraw, now I am retired, I was pleased to get this version to play with.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a printed manual. There are however, two hours of video tutorials to watch. These are very good, and I quickly got to grips with this version of the software. I have produced a very nice Christmas 'letter' to go with our cards this year.

The photo editing is rather basic so I will stick to my current software for that.

As the software is for 3 users, I will install it on my vhildrens laptops when they visit next :-)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's been a while since I've dipped my toes in the CorelDraw pool - I've used Paintshop Pro and various Adobe applications over the years but this latest iteration of CorelDraw has me hooked.

This Corel "Home and Student Suite" is made up of two main applications - CorelDRAW and Photo-Paint. In support of these headline applications are a number of useful utilities including PowerTrace for graphic file conversion and Connect for image cataloguing/browsing. This version of CorelDraw allows you to install it on up to 3 PCs but rather like some Microsoft Office versions it's only licenced for Home and Student use - you can't use it in a small business for example.

The Corel Draw 2014 package comes without a printed manual, but what it does have are some nifty help videos focussed around specific topics such as drawing and editing etc. and a very effective built in help system (referred to as an "electronic guidebook"). However, I do agree with another reviewer that the manual supplied on disc needs editing to cover this specific version of CorelDraw. However, despite the controls and menus initially looking very complex, the basics soon become intuitive and over time you can "funnel down" to learn more sophisticated operations readily if you want/need to. The suite also features a built in library of 1000 clipart and digital images, 100 high-resolution photos, 100 fonts, 100 professionally-designed templates and 400 frames and patterns.

Because this suite is so user friendly and enticing it has become a thief of my time, I just love experimenting with it and learning new features. The results in terms of both photo editing and graphic manipulation/creation are astonishing - I don't attribute any of it to my skill but to the ingenuity of this Corel software, which I think represents excellent value for money. Recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Despite the 2014 branding, this is a virtually identical re-release of the CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6 suite, and they both have nearly all the features of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, which is the version intended for professional graphic artists and designers, and on which they are both based. The terms of the license mean that you can't use the Home and Student versions commercially, but the up-side is you're permitted to install the software on up to three computers. And given that the features omitted from the Home and Student versions are unlikely to be of great interest to home users, they are an absolute bargain.

What's in the box? Well, this version has no printed manual whatever, which is fair enough as there are links to some very good training videos embedded within the Help menus. Other than a carboard stiffener, there's just a DVD and the rather long product key. The component programs are CorelDRAW Home & Student 2014, Corel PHOTO-PAINT Home & Student 2014, Corel CAPTURE X6 and CorelCONNECT X6, which are respectively the main vector graphics and layout program, a very powerful bitmap (photo) editor, a screen capture utility and a resource cataloguing tool. You also get Corel PowerTRACE X6, which is more of a utility than a standalone program: it converts bitmaps to vectors, automatically tracing and simplifying the image, and it can be found inside CorelDRAW in the Bitmaps menu, under Centerline Trace and Outline Trace.

So in essence what you get is a vector-based design and layout program and a bitmap image editor. They are both powerful programs, but CorelDRAW itself is the centerpiece of the suite: the images you edit in PHOTO-PAINT will probably end up in a CorelDRAW document.

Four minor version upgrades of X6 have been released since it first came out. There are now a few more differences between the premium Graphics Suite and the Student & Home versions. What you don't get includes: a couple of the best fonts, Helvetica and Garamond; two of the Pantone colour palettes, Colour Styles (including the powerful "harmony" feature) and Object Styles, the Undo docker (you can still undo, just not in such a pretty way), various proofing tools and the ability to record and run macros. Neither do you get free Corel online membership.

But all of that is a fairly short list compared with what is left in. There's almost every conceivable tool to give you creative freedom to do what you want, including the neat Smart Carver tool, that lets you very quickly edit out unwanted elements from a photograph, and a whole raft of vector tools. You can produce highly professional publications either for print or to export as PDF.

It's worth noting that neither edition of the Home & Student version appears to include a 64-bit version of the programs. I've installed both version on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 64-bit operating systems, and the 32-bit version of the software is installed every time. The more expensive CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. 64-bit versions should theoretically be faster, but in reality I haven't noticed any significant difference.

It doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference which version of the Home & Student Suite you buy (the old X6 version or this new 2014 version). They both have a 3-computer licence and they include the same programs, although the 2014 version has more recent updates (note that you can download product updates for free). The loss of the flimsy paper manual that was in the X6 version is not much of a loss: the video tutorials are the place to start if you're new to CorelDRAW, and there's a good browser-based help system too.

Whichever you choose, it's an absolute steal compared to buying the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 on which they are both based. Like any powerful program, it takes a bit of getting used to, but if you're willing to put in a bit of effort to learn it, CorelDRAW will reward you handsomely.

Notes:

- All versions of this software (X6 and both Home & Student derivatives) work fine on Windows 8.1.
- You may like to consider buying the earlier (but as far as I can ascertain identical) CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6, depending on relative price and availability. I can't unfortunately guarantee that they're identical, but I think they are.
- You don't need to send Corel anything to prove you're a student. Installing the software requires you to type in your email address and the product key.
- You will be prompted to register your software; if and when you do, you get a free gift. Spoiler alert: It's some document templates.

====

Update, November 2013. With reference to my second point in "notes" above, Daniel from Corel kindly sent me a leaflet describing what's new in the 2014 version of the CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite. The list of new features is:

- Videos and tutorials (learn tips & tricks from the experts);
- Customize applications (modify the appearance of CorelDRAW on your desktop - I couldn't work out what this meant, but I don't think it has any effect on the usability of the program);
- Draw arcs with the Polyline tool;
- Adjust transparency and feathering of brushstrokes as you paint in PhotoPaint (this is actually quite useful, as it's more intuitive then clicking the menus: hold CTRL to constrain the line to vertical or horizontal, ALT to adjust transparency, CTRL+ALT for feathering, and SHIFT to resize);
- Draw and modify shapes with precision (using the Object Coordinates docker); and
- OpenType options now accessible from within the Text and the Object Properties docker.

It's not a very long list, and they are tweaks at best, but at least it's something. In any case, regardless of what enhancements there may or may not be, it's still a very impressive software collection.
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2014
One year on and re-installed and this software is just as useless as ever. ABSOLUTE TOTAL JUNKWARE Withour a shasow of doubt the most useless piece of software I have ever bouyght and a total utter waste of money How Corel managed to produce such utter junk I dont know.It has been completely impossible to use and Corel dont care that they have sold such a load of junk and give no support I used Corel software for many years and their support used to be great Now Sadly support is now rubbish. Support is only 30 days, and thereafter then it costs an arm and a le EVEN THOUGH TEH SOFTWARE IS DEFECTIVE.
Installed this on my main desktop PC..wont even load just runs up error message. Before even doing much an error dialogue box pops up.
Hard to assess a piece of software that wont even work right from the start!
AVOID THIS SOFTWARE LIKE THE PLAGUE. I wont be wasting money on the newest version since this has been a total waste of money and has NEVER worked
Why am I mentioning this? Just to caution purchasers that the once legendary excellent Corel customer support is now plain awful.
Make sure if you purchase something get it installed and tested RIGHT AWAY you only have 30 days support - and that only covers installation issues. Beyond 30 days or for anything else forget it you are on your own.
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Installed CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite 2014 without any gliches.

I've noticed in some other reviews that this software is not too unlike CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6. However, I cannot comment on this as I haven't used CorelDRAW for quite some time.

From playing around with this software, it's clear that there are two main applications at work. We have the CorelDRAW side of things and then there is something called PhotoPaint. There also is Corel Capture and Corel Connect.

The Interface is simple and easy to use. You probably will need a bit of time to get used of everything (especially if you haven't used any similar software in quite some time). There are video tutorials if/when you get stuck.

The actual package will allow you to create artwork designs. The more you work with it, the better your design. You have access to a library of clipart and digital images, photos, fonts templates and frames and patterns.

Don't be put off with this when you first start working with this.
Should you buy it? Yes.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had a play around with the CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6 suite when it came out, and I'm beggared if I can find any difference between that and this, apart from eighteen months and twenty quid. I'm tempted to reinstall the earlier versions, but I suspect laziness will interfere with that plan.

Regardless, it's really rather good and about 300 quid cheaper than the full blown CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, which is the professional version. Of course I would never suggest that anyone should breach the terms of the license by using this for commercial purposes, because that would just be wrong.

It's an excellent vector-based design and layout program and a bitmap image editor, and does pretty much anything you would need from it, short of running your own design studio. So if you're looking to design reports, drawings, flyers, logos etc, this is the place to be.
on 17 April 2014
If you look on amazon dot com in the US you will see coreldraw graphics suite x7 academic going for $90.
Even with shipping and tax it works our cheaper and yet is the full, unrestricted version.

As a long term customer of Corel I am not impressed and won't be buying this UK version.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used CorelDRAW off and on for over a decade now, and have always found it meets my requirements, and is quite intuitive to use, which is a bonus, as I could never be described as anything other than an enthusiastic amateur.

I was a little reluctant at first, as there is no physical manual, but the assistance available, including some pretty good instruction videos, got me up and running quicker than I would have expected. The photo editing elements of the suite are not up to the standard of dedicated photo-editing software, and are not really any better than many free alternatives - I presume Corel want to make sure you still buy PaintShop Pro!

Overall, I am quite happy with this. It does everything I need it to do, as long as I use a different product for photo-editing.