Top critical review
30 people found this helpful
Deserves 3 stars, but minus 2 for "lying through omission"
on 5 December 2013
Corel they have crippled functionality of this Home/Student edition, but they not been transparent about it.
WHY would they do such a thing?
It's to discourage professional designers from buying the cheap-as-chips version (this product) instead of Corel Draw X6 (which costs several hundred pounds). I found this out after some digging around - it was on a blogpost on their official site.
Whilst that makes sense, they should make people aware of this BEFORE purchase.
WHAT is different
- Native 64-bit OS support [this seems like an arbitrary limitation]
- No VBA / VSTA support
- Macro functions disabled [students need to learn how to automate stuff]
- Some professional print options disabled, such as Prepress, Preflight, Separations, etc.
- "Enhanced Color Management disabled: Some CMYK features disabled"
- Some additional functions and support removed, such as Color Styles, Object Styles, color harmonies, etc. - Some external file format support removed, such as DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.
- Advanced OpenType features removed
- Some Colour Management Options removed
- No printed hardcover book [though electronic version included.. so that's fair enough]
You may wish to note that this important information [with the exception stuff about documentation in electronic format rather than printed] does not appear in the product description, above. WHY THE HELL NOT? (Racking my brain and all I can think of is - it would hurt sales)
I think £79 WOULD be a fair price for a 3-licence Home/Student version IF they had been transparent about this. I would have given at least ⭐️⭐️⭐️.
I feel it SHOULD be displayed, prominently! It ought to be in bold text or a comparison table. Why is it omitted? I STRONGLY SUGGEST COREL HAVE THIS INFORMATION ADDED TO THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION (ABOVE) so customers are better informed.
Some of the arbitrary, capricious limitations seem INCREDIBLY PETTY. [Object Styles and Colour Styles are NOT pro features!]
But even so. I would have rated this 3 or 4 stars, if this info was made clear to people before purchase.