Platform: PC|Edition: Ultimate Edition|Change

VINE VOICEon 7 April 2014
For a start, I chose 4 stars because of small improvements that need to be made.

Choosing Corel was not first in my thoughts, but only after doing some research on-line. Having used Adobe PSE9 for some time I was forced to upgrade to PSE11 when I bought a new compact camera that was "not supported" by PSE9. Having to shell out another hard-earned £60-£70 because of this did not ride well with me. Then I bought the new EOS 70D and guess what? Adobe would not support it in PSE11 so I was lead to the conclusion that the only choice I had was to buy Lightroom instead, another £70 or so. Sod that for a lark! I shall buy no more Adobe products (full stop)

First job was to check out whether Corel PaintShopPro X6 Ultimate supports my cameras.... yes it does, including the 70D.
Next job: Ordered this from Amazon and it arrived within two days. Very, very good. Hey, hang on, it's cheaper than PSE11 or Lightroom, so can it be any good?

Installs on Win 7 OK, both version installed 64 and 32 bit. One small upgrade; camera support ;-)
First use: like anything new, takes some getting used to, but the GUI is not bad at all. My first impressions were that it actually offers more than PSE11, much more. The effects, tools and editing choices are mind-boggling, even more so for the price (at least £35 cheaper than Lightroom 6), competitively priced to any other Pro alternative.

Having used it on a few photo's now I can say I am impressed, up to a 4 start level. To get the other start I'd like to see one or two changes or additions; e.g. in-program help files/tutorial, less reliance for connecting to Corel web-site, maybe a few tweaks like making the "scratch remover" to function more like Adobe's "Bandage" effect; the only bit I actually miss from PSE11 suite! It also seems to have a quirk, changing from one GUI layout to another without need between edit & manage or alter.

This software is suited to professional use and has so many useful features, allows a very large range of creative techniques, has many tools that the average photo editor may never use, but for Pro work covers the bases just fine. I am impressed.
on 20 June 2014
I have long been a fan of PaintShop Pro - and this version now works well in 64 bit mode and on the Windows 8.1 platform. Some upgrading has taken place and there are a few new features but basically it is the same program same shortcuts etc - which incidentally was given away free on the front cover of many PC magazines years ago.
on 7 April 2014
I originally had version 10 and then upgraded to version 13 (X3) so I am used to the menus and tools. The menus and options do look a bit daunting at first but there are guidance notes on the right of the screen . If you have never used this sort of software before then you will need to persevere to start with and start with just performing simple tasks. It does seem a lot faster than previous versions probably because of the 64 bit technology.
With a bit of trial and error you will get there. The undo button comes in very handy to reverse mistakes. I haven't used all the tools but the cloning brush is one of the most used for repairing old photos and merging cut and pasted images.
Platform: PC|Edition: Ultimate Edition|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using PSP since it was shareware featured on cover diskettes. X6 is a significant step up from my current version X4. I have Elements 11 and Photoshop CS5 too but tend to reach PSP for casual editing, even if only because of familiarity. That doesn't make me blind to its shortcomings vs. the competition though.

The big change, with X6, is 64-bit support and improved performance. I carried out some careful tests and found X6 faster than X4 in every respect. For example, it loads significantly faster and opens jpegs and tiffs twice as fast. `Management' is much faster at displaying images, almost halving X4 times. X6 is probably no faster than Elements but Elements seems more bloated and slower with every release.

One thing I'm really cross about - they've done away with the excellent hardcopy manual that shipped with X4. A new version is available but only as a downloadable pdf.

The interface is pretty-much as X4 - improved over earlier versions but still with a number of idiosyncrasies and seemingly random placement of tools. Learn your way around, though, and the tools on offer work well. There are three tabbed workspaces, as with X4 - Manage, Adjust and Edit. These cater for management and cataloguing of images, common editing tasks and then the full editor, supporting a nicely streamlined workflow.

Under the `Manage' tab, PSP doesn't really offer anything its competitors don't. With X4, PSP just about caught up. X6 goes a little further, offering face recognition, for example.

Many users would find all the editing power they need under the `Adjust' tab. There's everything from red-eye removal to straightening, cloning, white balance, sharpening and an extensive range of effects.

Anyone who needs more control will find that `Edit' provides a comprehensive and generally well-implemented set of tools such as layers, selection, levels and curves. You can also install Photoshop plug-ins, if you like. The HDR tool, as in X4, works as well as any I've tried and you can even have X6 split a RAW file in three and put the three components back together as an HDR image. Obviously, the latter doesn't work as well as three separate original images but, if you have an image with blown highlights or deep shadows, it's well-worth a try.

There are a still a few omissions that surprise me, notably Photoshop-style content-aware fill and panorama stitching. I've rarely found the former very useful, though. For panoramas, I use Microsoft Live's free ICE tool which is great. On the plus side, `Auto Selection' lets you draw a simple box round an object and have PSP select the object itself, leaving you to refine the selection; it rarely does a perfect job but certainly speeds up the process. `Smart Selection' does a similar job by letting you paint over an area, but I find that less successful. You can `Photo Merge' elements of different photos into one, e.g. to combine the best shots of people into a group photo. There's also a `Smart Cleaver' to remove part of an image and automatically shrink what's left.

The Perfectly Clear and FaceFilter3 extra programs that come with the Ultimate version are well worth having. Without going into detail, the former allows rapid adjustment of things like white balance, colour, clarity and tone, with the results very easy to preview and undo. The latter does an equally impressive job on skin smoothing, etc.

IN CONCLUSION:

* For PSP X4 users, X6 is a worthwhile upgrade - whether it is for X5 users, I can't say.
* For beginners, PSP X4 is a great option, offering quick and easy cataloguing and photo enhancement, with a sophisticated editor on hand when you're ready for it, all at a highly competitive price.
* Photoshop Elements users probably have no reason to jump ship.
* If all you want is to catalogue your photos and carry out relatively basic edits, a free tool such as Picasa will probably do all you need.

Lastly, remember you can download a 30-day trial before committing yourself, if you're not sure. If it's like X4, though, you won't be able simply to buy a retail package and use its serial number with the trial version - you'll have to reinstall from the retail CD first.
on 18 April 2014
This product is good value for money. The reason for only four stars is the quite poor RAW converter, which is a bit basic, although Corel do a much better one for purchase I understand. If this were better then I would have given five. Having said that the built in HDR converter is good for the money and works well from a single RAW image doing many of the things the basic converter does not. The extras that came with the package are fine and are well worth the bit extra for the Ultimate version. If you are looking for a good phto editor then I would reccommend this as being better value for money than phtoshop elements.
on 1 May 2014
A couple of months ago I really could not make up my mind on whether to buy this, Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I didn't know much about any of the programs so read all of the reviews and still couldn't make up my mind. At the time Paint Shop Pro X6 Ultimate was much cheaper than the other two. In the end I decided to download the trial version from the Corel website to give it a try and within two days I bought the full program from Amazon.

I found the software intuitive to use and the inbuilt help videos really informative. Within minutes of installing the program I was able to achieve great results. I have used it mainly to repair old black and white photos and rejuvinate faded colour photos. In addition I have really enjoyed adding colour to black and white photos and masking colour on colour photos, to achieve the really popular effect nowadays of black and white photos with a splash of colour. All have been easy to achieve and great fun to do.

Whilst the program is simple to use there are loads of tools available within it for someone prepared to devote the time to delve further.

I have bought hundreds of items from Amazon over the years but I have to say that I think this has been my best purchase to date. Well done Corel.

Buy it!
on 12 January 2014
OS: Windows 8
Proccessor: i7, integrated graphics, 16G ram, SSD.
Application: Photo retouching
Status: Keen amateur
Previous experience: Corel Photo Paint

I've been using Corel Photo Paint for photo retouching for over a decade. My old X3 version does not play nicely with Windows 8 though. I tried to install Adobe Elements but that was a complete nightmare and after rolling back my complete system I thought I'd try this. I have used the 64bit version only.

Before buying I recommend you download it from Corel where you can get a 30 days free trial. Then come back here to buy when you are happy.

I have found this application much slicker and easier to use than the previous versions of PhotoPaint, and the one-button fixes good. Scratch removal and object removal is also much easier.

Context help is useful too. Choose a tool and it tells you how to use it, so that helps get the hang of things.

As others have commented it can be a little slow once layers are built up, so I can see this could be an issue on slower machines. And for complete newbies I think any of these retouching apps are pretty hard work at first, until you get the hang of the concepts.

But if you've got the grunt it's really fantastic value for money.
on 16 July 2014
Very tricky to use this programme, and the down loadable user manual is not helpful at all. I wish I had never purchased it!!!
on 15 October 2014
worst software ive ever tried working with, it crashes everytime i try and view anything, then i have to go into task manager......blahdyblah!! I sent it back end of August and am still waiting for a refund, and surprisingly i cannot contact them direct!!! DO NOT BUY its crap!
on 20 April 2014
I used Corel software many years ago. I have recently started to experiment with HDR images and bought this so software as it had an HDR capability, as well as the usual editing tools. While it does combine images I feel it does not do this well. The algorithms must be fairly crude when it comes to tone mapping, the results are not smooth at all and somewhat "rectangular". I feel a bit let down!
My phone takes better HDR images with a £1.99 app, and I get better results from a free web based utility with bracketed images from my camera.
My opinion is that if you want good HDR results, go somewhere else.