on 8 October 2013
Bought this to work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It does not disappoint!

Firstly the device is larger than an average BT headset but you do get a lot in return. The main function for listening to audio wirelessly through the earphones is obvious (and sounds very clear with good bass levels) and the inclusion of FM radio is very welcome and works nicely with RDS information on the clear bright OLED display.

But, where this device differs is that you can remove the earphones and the device works like a mini mobile phone. You can hold it up to your ear and make use of the phone speaker and microphone. I tested it out and my caller could not tell the difference, all was clear and audible. There's a separate speaker for speakerphone function if you prefer. That speaker will also allow you to playback music too or take advantage of text to speech from incoming notifications.

If you use it on an Android device there are a few smart apps compatible with it. These are for notifying you of SMS, Gmail, Calendar events, Twitter and Facebook. Those messages scroll along the screen meaning you don't have to get the phone out to read them. As stated you can get the messages read out for you if you wish.

Finally the other killer feature if you have a NFC enabled device, is that this will pair instantly by bumping together the devices each time you turn it on!

Only criticism is the device when used as a 'phone' handset is small so you don't get brilliant comfort when holding it to your ear but it's a small price to pay if you don't want someone to rob you of your phone or risk dropping it when in a call. Also it's a fingerprint magnet!

I do highly recommend this device if you have one of the new larger phablet style premium phones. It's great!
66 comments55 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2013
Been waiting for a while for this to come out, and now it's here, it's a permanent member of my kit.

Bluetooth range is exceptional for line-of-sight, and very good for indoor. Audio quality when being used as a headset is good as well, although the noise cancellation could do with some work (according to the wife, who was on the receiving end of a windy call!)

Negatives really are only the app compatibility. Because it's a new piece of hardware, apps are a bit limited, but the range is growing. That, and the small cable on both the bundled earphones and USB cable are a bit of a shame.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2013
I have had Bluetooth Headsets in the past but none of them have ever come close to the Sony SBH52 Smart Bluetooth Handset, can make calls and receive calls clear every time I am never without it I would highly recommend the handset to anyone thinking of buying a Bluetooth Headset or handset in this case
on 29 November 2014
Great product and most importantly, great value for money.

EDIT: After using for a few months and seeing a lot of confusion about this product here's some extra info :

THE SONY SBH52

[ WHAT IT IS ??? ]

The SBH52 is a BLUETOOTH ver 3.0 Enabled Earphone Adaptor(RECEIVER)
+ mini Handset function

- Hands free profile (HFP) v1.6

- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) v1.2

- Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) v1.4 - Control and Target role
_______________________________________________________________________________

THE SBH52 ALLOWS AUDIO STREAMING AND ANSWERING CALLS FROM ANY COMPATIBLE BLUETOOTH DEVICE

YOU DO NOT NEED THE ANDROID APP OR AN ANDROID DEVICE TO USE THESE BASIC FUNCTIONS

________________________________________________________________________________

THE ANDROID APP :

The android app allows you to access the call log and select numbers to call or call back.
- It does not allow you to manually dial numbers without the main phone/tablet keypad.
- It does not allow you to search through contacts list or phone numbers / names.

The android app also allows reading various notifications like last dialed numbers. missed calls, msg, txt, gmail, calendar etc. via the display and also has a txt to speech option to hear the words being read out to you.

WHAT IT IS NOT !!!

The SBH52 is NOT a mini mobile phone for dialing or txting/msging etc.

It is not a BT Transmitter to send audio to any other BT Receiver.
- You can use it as a bridge to send audio to it from a BT device and then output from the 3.5mm jack to another device with an audio input jack like a STEREO, AMP, SPEAKER or a PC etc.

It is NOT going to work 100% perfectly with every compatible device all the time, no such device exists.
Get over it. Learn how to reset it properly it only takes 3 secs and then you can pair to device again as new.

PRO's
1. It is a little bit complicated for many people but when you understand how it works and use it for a while it's easily the best BT adaptor around just for the basic BT headset functions and the HD quality.

2. All the extra features, FM Radio, NFC, Android APP, Headphones etc. make it unbeatable.

3. Not cheap but solid build quality, loads of features and good value overall.

CON's
1. Like most multi-function BT devices it takes a bit of learning to understand the how to's and what it can and can't do. Nothing new there for me but Sony have not made this easy and for novice users this must be a bit of a nightmare to figure out when it's not working the way they thought it would. It is a little bit complicated for many people.

2. The FM radio needs presets, it is slow and slightly annoying to switch frequency.
Anyone who bought this for the FM radio as much as anything else is just assuming that it would allow this function. Very bad mistake in the design.. At any price it's lazy, bad design.

3. The SONY company clearly wants to promote it with their own products so apart from standard BLUETOOTH functions good luck being sure the app and extras works 100% with all non-SONY android devices and forget about apple unless there's a new app or hack for it. No bog surprises there.

I don't have much reason to complain about it, it needs slightly better radio functions and it does need to be reset sometimes, especially if pairing with various mixed types and particularly older devices but that's a fast fix/easy to sort out and then pair again as new.

The android app is underdeveloped and kinda useless but trying to read detailed notifications on such a small screen with limited controls is the source of the bad idea and the inevitable fail.

Still 5/5 for what I bought it for - but RTFM !!!

Android app here :

Read about Call handling here:

Read the full user guide here:

GL&HF... :D

ORIGINAL REVIEW
____________________
The usual high quality and premium build quality from SONY with a load of extra features.

I purchased this for two main reasons, I needed a good FM radio and a Bluetooth headphone adapter.
The extra headphones, HD voice quality, NFC, Android APP and the mini Handset feature were all an added bonus.

My only minor issue is that the FM Radio only plays through the headphone jack and cannot be played through the loudspeaker but although that would have been better it's not a reason to mark it down any less overall.

I've tried 20+ versions of Bluetooth adapter devices like this over the years and it's by far and easily the best of the bunch.

5/5 A solid high quality good value product,.

Not cheap but definitely worth it.
22 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2015
After reading some reviews about connection problems i figured im pretty tech savvy i'll figure it out. The problem is the app you download cant be accessed on all phones so its impossible to change the settings and personalise it.
Connects and gives great sound but i need to first open music on my phone before i can search through it on this. Cant access my txts or phonebook as you first need to go into the unavailable settings on the useless app to set this feature. Also doesnt show the name of who is calling...this again needs the app to work before setting.
Really annoying that such a promising product is let down by the useless software. I guess sony are making too much money from playstation to give a monkeys about development in other areas. Last time i buy sony.
on 3 December 2015
I got this to fix two problems:
1) iPhone headphones (with remote) break insanely quickly. I don't think I've reached the 12 month mark on a set yet, though thankfully that means I can normally get my money back and try again with a different brand. Normally the controls keep working but I lose sound in one ear.

2) I want to go back to the days of MiniDisc where I had a button for forwards/backwards/play-pause, plus volume buttons. Trying to communicate with my phone in morse code seems like a major step back (three presses to go backwards, really?), and when it is cold my fingers aren't up to the job!

So far this has done a great job at solving these problems!
Pros:
+ real buttons. Press once to do something, press it again to do it again. It is the early 90s all over again.
+ great sound quality
+ if the headphones start to die, I can just replace them with any other 3.5mm headphones. Perfect!
+ I'm picky with headphones (I don't find them all comfortable) but for me these make a good seal, are comfortable, and sound decent

Cons:
- radio. I bought this thinking it would let me get FM reception, but the signal where I live just isn't up to the job for the stations I want to listen to.
- as and when the battery dies I'll have some real fun and games to replace it (I assume it is an internal lithium battery)

Given the radio problems I would question whether this item's cheaper sibling might be better - it loses the radio and the display but I suspect that won't be a problem for most people.
on 26 October 2013
Fantastic item, shipping a bit slow but that may be due to the Italian Post service.
Working in team with my Z Ultra, battery lasts several days with normal use, a couple of days if you talk all day...
on 19 January 2014
Very helpful accessory. It works with two devices. It can warn and show new SMS and e-mail messages, calendar reminders, play music off the connected device, even RSS feeds. A great advantage is that it works with any ordinary earphones, it doesn't need the phone ones with built-in mic.
on 26 October 2013
The headset works fine. But it always says that an update is needed but me and all people who uses it are unable to update. I use it with an xperia Z. It has some bugs when you use it for more than 2 hours, you will need to restart. If Sony fix these bugs, the product will be perfect.
on 3 October 2015
Really good. The odd time it's froze but I can't make my mind up if it's the galaxy s6 edge plus I'm using or this Sony sbh52. That's usually when I'm changing from say YouTube to Amazon music and then the phones music player, it could just be that it's a software conflict or that it's takes a few minutes for some apps to fully close down after use. I will tell you something, it's a lot better than my Sony mw600 as that used to distort the sound like mad if you turned the volume right up. This one doesn't distort and the sound quality is outstanding even at high volumes as I usually play it. To my ears it sounds a little bit better coming through this sony than it does with the headphones plugged into my phone ,but only ever so slightly but still a bonus. The headphones that come with it I find are a bit tinny but with good bass, but I prefer the ones I got with my S5 as they sound a lot richer and it's played bass down to 25hz with ease. I recon it will play a lot lower with some quality headphones. The call quality is good if used as a mini phone to the ear with out headphones in but ,you have to push it to your ear as it's really small. Saves pulling out your expensive phone all the time. I would highly recommend this product but as a side note the quality looks good but time will tell on the clip as my mw600 broke within a few days. This does look and feel a lot more sturdier though. Distance isn't too bad either and on par with the mw600 but does struggle if I leave my phone down stairs and nip up stairs with the doors closed or if I go outside and it has to get through 2 walls. I did find though when the phone was on the bedroom floor charging, I could walk all over the house with no problems.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse