4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if basic soundbar with bluetooth connectivity
I'm actually quite impressed with this device.

We've now got two Bluetooth speaker devices here, the first being a meaty TDK version TDK V513 Wireless Sound Cube Speaker with Remote - Black and now this Amazon Basics soundbar device. Both do very different jobs.

Published 9 months ago by Whitehatter

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid and basic
I didn't expect much in the way of sound from this little box but I was pleasantly surprised; while it's not the deep, rich sound you'll get from a premium set of speakers, it's still got a decent range without a tinny sound or any distortion at loud volumes. I can definitely recommend it on that basis.

However battery life isn't great; a charge only seems to...
Published 12 months ago by J. Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if basic soundbar with bluetooth connectivity, 21 Sept. 2014
Whitehatter "Roy Ellor" (Salford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm actually quite impressed with this device.

The TDK is a hefty, mains-powered device that rocks the house nicely. This Basics device is complete with internal battery power and is charged using a USB lead. Not ideal as it's another device to clutter up those USB ports so I'd recommend using an external charger to top it up. Maybe supplying one with the speaker would have been a good idea but this is a Basics line after all so all that is bundled is a USB cable.

Sound quality is acceptable for its size and price point. I've actually found a niche for it; in the shed. I can connect it to my phone and have music playing whilst I do sheddy stuff like avoiding gardening or contemplating painting. As I don't yet have AC power in there it's ideal for the job. Battery life is something I'm finding adequate but again an external charger is probably going to be required to properly charge this unit. The internal battery cannot be changed by the user.

It isn't bass-heavy because the lower ranges are dealt with by a single speaker that has to fit inside the cabinet, but it's clear otherwise. Standard buttons expected are volume controls, basic play/rewind etc and these are on the top of the unit. Pairing it with both a phone (Motorola) and laptop proved easy enough and there is also an Aux input on the side that would presumably be for wired connection although that's something I have so far not needed to use.

It represents excellent value for money, feels well built and weighty, and comes in Frustration Free packaging for those greenies among us who loathe plastic or too much packaging in general. Use it in the shed or garden, or maybe on a camping trip. Plenty of possibilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, small & great!, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: AmazonBasics Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I purchased this speaker. When I received it I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked. The casing has a metallic finish (I choose black) which looks more expensive that what it was. For the size of the speaker it had a good weight. The buttons on the top are basic, skip forward/backward, volume and bluetooth connect and on the side is the on/off switch and USB connection. There are no controls for bass adjustment so you don't get the range you'd get from more expensive speakers.

It was very easy to sync with my Kindle HDX and I was able to play my playlist from Spotify and my music from my Amazon music library. The sound is good....for the price. I always planned to put the speaker in my kitchen with in only approx. 3x4m squared and the sound fills the space nicely. I was pleased at how high I could get the volume with no to very little distortion.

It says that the bluetooth range is 30m, but bluetooth being what it is, that means in a straight line with no walls in the way, so I haven't tried this yet. The sound does cut out if my kindle (the device it is paired with) is only 2m way in a different room, but I just keep the kindle in the same room so this is not a problem for me.

Overall I think this is a great little affordable speaker that looks good and sounds good too and I would recommend it others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid and basic, 25 Jun. 2014
J. Kelly - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However battery life isn't great; a charge only seems to last a couple of hours and the Bluetooth range is severely limited. Step more than four feet away and the sound will start skipping before the speakers disconnect entirely.

If you want to listen to music on a budget and you know you won't be far either from the source or a power socket, you can't go wrong with this. Just don't expect a premium experience from this budget gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little performer!, 30 Sept. 2014
Setter man (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This portable Bluetooth speaker is good value for money and sounds good too! I have a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker which is very good BUT also expensive. This Amazon Basics speaker, whilst not providing the same volume or such a rich range of sound, especially bass, is very competitive at roughly a fifth of the Soundlink price! I find it especially good for speech when listening to audio books, but it is fine for a range popular music too. The rendition of classical music is somewhat limited, but that is true for much more expensive freestanding speakers also. The controls are simple and easy to follow. You do need to disconnect from a previously paired Bluetooth device, say your phone, if you want to connect a different device, say an iPad, but this is very easily achieved by pressing the central button on top of the speaker. You can even change tracks by pressing the relevant forward or back buttons on the speaker rather than your Bluetooth device. You will need a suitable USB plug to charge the speaker, or use a laptop or PC, but most of us have these plugs for our Bluetooth devices anyway.
Overall, a very competent Bluetooth speaker at this price. Well done Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything but basic - very good., 18 Aug. 2014
Need a bluetooth speaker with decent sound, no frills and good value - here it is. the sound quality is excellent, yes it's a bit like a brick but it works fine you can alaos bluettoth your phone/tablet too.

Connection is simple and once it get's going you wont be disappointed.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth speaker, 14 April 2014
I bought this speaker for my daughter's birthday present. I'm pleased with the sound quality for such a small speaker, and it's easy for my child to connect via Bluetooth. Strongly recommended!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Turns off when you don't want it to, 4 May 2015
If using it with a aux cable, the energy management system turns the speakers off...which is a bummer. Doesn't happen when using Bluetooth though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful and easy to use, 24 May 2014
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price, this is a splendid little speaker - smaller than I expected and consequently light and easily portable. I've been using it to listen to radio and podcasts in the garden and am favourably impressed. It's not the greatest speaker in the world, by a long chalk - the bass tones are good, not great, but then you wouldn't expect them to be in a unit of this size and price. Speech - which is what I mainly use it for - is clear and pleasant to the ear; sharp, distinct and not at all tinny, and for music, the tone is fine, way better than the average portable radio. There's an on-off switch for phone calls - because normal people don't want their calls blasting across the garden. The battery life seems brilliant - mine hasn't needed more than one charge yet and I've been using it quite a lot. And it's only £4o! Considering its size and affordability, I think it's a brilliant little unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big sound for a great price, 30 May 2015
After upgrading my IPhone I realized my Bose dock was going to be a redundant so to bridge the gap whilst waiting to decide would be my next purchase I bought the amazon basics speaker.

The sound quality of the AmazonBasics Large portable speaker is pretty impressive although some may find it heavy on the bass and the build quality is as good as any of the market leaders and at a fraction of the price.

The only downfall of this product is the battery life on average I can pull about 4 hours at full volume.

** tip** to get the best sound balance position the speaker with the Bluetooth logo facing you, this means that the sub is pointing away and you will get the full range from the tweeters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 July 2014
John L. Moore (UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic, battery charge lasts a long time, highly recomend it

AmazonBasics Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black