4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if basic soundbar with bluetooth connectivity
I'm actually quite impressed with this device.

We've now got two Bluetooth speaker devices here, the first being a meaty TDK version TDK V513 Wireless Sound Cube Speaker with Remote - Black and now this Amazon Basics soundbar device. Both do very different jobs.

Published 3 months ago by Whitehatter

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid and basic
I didn't expect much in the way of sound from this little box but I was pleasantly surprised; while it's not the deep, rich sound you'll get from a premium set of speakers, it's still got a decent range without a tinny sound or any distortion at loud volumes. I can definitely recommend it on that basis.

However battery life isn't great; a charge only seems to...
Published 6 months ago by J. Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if basic soundbar with bluetooth connectivity, 21 Sep 2014
Whitehatter "Roy Ellor" (Salford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm actually quite impressed with this device.

The TDK is a hefty, mains-powered device that rocks the house nicely. This Basics device is complete with internal battery power and is charged using a USB lead. Not ideal as it's another device to clutter up those USB ports so I'd recommend using an external charger to top it up. Maybe supplying one with the speaker would have been a good idea but this is a Basics line after all so all that is bundled is a USB cable.

Sound quality is acceptable for its size and price point. I've actually found a niche for it; in the shed. I can connect it to my phone and have music playing whilst I do sheddy stuff like avoiding gardening or contemplating painting. As I don't yet have AC power in there it's ideal for the job. Battery life is something I'm finding adequate but again an external charger is probably going to be required to properly charge this unit. The internal battery cannot be changed by the user.

It isn't bass-heavy because the lower ranges are dealt with by a single speaker that has to fit inside the cabinet, but it's clear otherwise. Standard buttons expected are volume controls, basic play/rewind etc and these are on the top of the unit. Pairing it with both a phone (Motorola) and laptop proved easy enough and there is also an Aux input on the side that would presumably be for wired connection although that's something I have so far not needed to use.

It represents excellent value for money, feels well built and weighty, and comes in Frustration Free packaging for those greenies among us who loathe plastic or too much packaging in general. Use it in the shed or garden, or maybe on a camping trip. Plenty of possibilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little performer!, 30 Sep 2014
Setter man (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This portable Bluetooth speaker is good value for money and sounds good too! I have a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker which is very good BUT also expensive. This Amazon Basics speaker, whilst not providing the same volume or such a rich range of sound, especially bass, is very competitive at roughly a fifth of the Soundlink price! I find it especially good for speech when listening to audio books, but it is fine for a range popular music too. The rendition of classical music is somewhat limited, but that is true for much more expensive freestanding speakers also. The controls are simple and easy to follow. You do need to disconnect from a previously paired Bluetooth device, say your phone, if you want to connect a different device, say an iPad, but this is very easily achieved by pressing the central button on top of the speaker. You can even change tracks by pressing the relevant forward or back buttons on the speaker rather than your Bluetooth device. You will need a suitable USB plug to charge the speaker, or use a laptop or PC, but most of us have these plugs for our Bluetooth devices anyway.
Overall, a very competent Bluetooth speaker at this price. Well done Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid and basic, 25 Jun 2014
J. Kelly - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: AmazonBasics Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However battery life isn't great; a charge only seems to last a couple of hours and the Bluetooth range is severely limited. Step more than four feet away and the sound will start skipping before the speakers disconnect entirely.

If you want to listen to music on a budget and you know you won't be far either from the source or a power socket, you can't go wrong with this. Just don't expect a premium experience from this budget gadget.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything but basic - very good., 18 Aug 2014
Need a bluetooth speaker with decent sound, no frills and good value - here it is. the sound quality is excellent, yes it's a bit like a brick but it works fine you can alaos bluettoth your phone/tablet too.

Connection is simple and once it get's going you wont be disappointed.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a little speaker like this then go for it, 25 Sep 2014
Dave C "Condyk" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been rather surprised by this little device. When I first got it it delivered in my office it sounded tinny but knowing at least something about room acoustics I didn't immediately jump to any conclusions. As a hifi nut I know there are many factors adding up to great or grubby sound. My mate in the office complained about his own device, twice the price, and how little use he got from it, but I think I'll use this.

Look, it's in no way hifi and not even close, but what it does really well is pump out a toe-tapping sound. It's quite warm and well rounded, so lacks some (quite a lot) of the detail you'd get from a top hifi system ... but it is still totally listenable. And it's cheap (inexpensive I should say!) As mentioned, it sounded tinny in my office, but that's glass and concrete walls. At home it fills the room without even a tad of harshness.

So all in I'd say if you need a little speaker like this then go for it. The controls are simple and pairing it via Bluetooth, with my Android phone and tablet, couldn't be easier. It also looks good; like it should cost more. Volume isn't high; a device this cheap would soon run out of steam and start becoming unlistenable, but it's loud enough for a lounge, bathroom or bedroom. Nice one Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth speaker, 14 April 2014
I bought this speaker for my daughter's birthday present. I'm pleased with the sound quality for such a small speaker, and it's easy for my child to connect via Bluetooth. Strongly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than basic, 26 Jun 2014
leftfooter "leftfooter" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have liked many products from the AmazonBasics range, and this is another good one.

As usual, the packaging is minimal - the speaker comes in a brown cardboard box, wrapped in a simple plastic bag to keep the dirt off. Only the bag to be binned, the rest recyclable. Also in the pack is a charging cable and small instruction booklet, that's it.

Initial impressions are good. It is small but feels sold and well built. There are speaker grilles on both sides, and (peering through) it appears there are 2 tweeters on one side and a single bass output on the other. On one side is a small microphone, which comes into play if you use it as a speakerphone.

Controls are straightforward:
On one side is the on-off switch (slider), mini-USB port for charging and port for standard 3.5mm jack (if you want to plug in a non-Bluetooth device)
On the top are buttons for volume (up/down), next/previous track and a single one for "action" - either for pairing or (if connected to a phone) to answer/reject a call.

There is no "display" as such, but there is a single red LED on top, that flashes when charging and goes out when done.

The sound quality is reasonable for a small device, and perfectly good enough for personal use or, say, in a small tent. Not suitable for a large party, etc., (who would expect that?) but fine for "background" music in a social situation.

I have no concerns about recommending this as a solid purchase, but please note the following points for info:

(a) the charging cable is USB to mini-USB, so if you want to connect to the mains you will need a USB plug (not included). The one I use for my iPhone worked just fine. Most other phones come with a mini-USB charger themselves, so you could also use this to charge the speaker

(b) The manual cautions that it requires Bluetooth 4.0 or above. This is worth checking if you did not buy your phone/device recently. Bluetooth 4 came into iPhones with the 4S, into iPads at the New iPad (predecessor to iPad Air) and initially with the Galaxy S3 (although there were some problems reported). Don't know about other phones, so check your spec!

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy, 3 Oct 2014
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a techy when it comes to things like these but as both my husband and I have smart phones which can hold music (although so far only a handful of tunes for ringtones) I thought I would try this out.

We were going to the airport to collect someone and had this in the car, it came part charged so we thought we would try it out while we waited. It really is so simple, once you have turned on the speaker and paired your phone with it (exactly like you would with another bluetooth-enabled phone, you just need to search for Amazon_BT1). Then to start playing music through it you simple play the music on your phone - and instead of the sound coming out of the phone, it comes from the speaker! NB any other noises your phone makes (eg when receiving a message or simple key presses) also come out through the speaker.

It's also super-easy to disconnect the devices - just press and hold the central button on the speaker - and then you can connect with another device.

It is fairly heavy so not a lightweight travel option is weight is at a premium, but it is very compact. It charges by USB (same ports as a kindle actually) and although you get a USB lead with it, you might want to buy a USB adaptor so you can charge straight from the mains. I was however really impressed with the quality of the sound!

Its signal is good for up to 30 feet - although I am not sure what would happen if someone within that range was using the same device as they would I assume have the same Bluetooth name!

Its weight and the lack of mains charger are the only factors letting this down but I am going to put the AmazonBasics Mini Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Purple on my christmas list for holidays etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good bluetooth speaker, 30 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An impressively solid all metal body forms the frame of this bluetooth speaker making it a suitable portable device that will likely handle a fair amount of banging around - although it also makes it heavy. The sound quality is good if the volume is a little low - this is partly dependent on the transmitting device however. The device has skip track, and its own volume controls as well as a button for device pairing/call answering - the microphone quality for call-answering is pretty good. The device comes with a USB cable for charging which it does quite quickly with a decent charger.
I've paired up a number of devices with the speaker without any problem at all - in fact pairing with this speaker is almost instantaneous and, in my house, has a better range than any of my other bluetooth speakers.

Actually a very good product reflected in the slightly higher price than other similar products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful and easy to use, 24 May 2014
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price, this is a splendid little speaker - smaller than I expected and consequently light and easily portable. I've been using it to listen to radio and podcasts in the garden and am favourably impressed. It's not the greatest speaker in the world, by a long chalk - the bass tones are good, not great, but then you wouldn't expect them to be in a unit of this size and price. Speech - which is what I mainly use it for - is clear and pleasant to the ear; sharp, distinct and not at all tinny, and for music, the tone is fine, way better than the average portable radio. There's an on-off switch for phone calls - because normal people don't want their calls blasting across the garden. The battery life seems brilliant - mine hasn't needed more than one charge yet and I've been using it quite a lot. And it's only £4o! Considering its size and affordability, I think it's a brilliant little unit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›