on 22 September 2013
Yes Mickey Thomas I know the voice. Greatest Hits (Ten Years And Change 1979-1991) and The Very Best Of Starship - We Built This City are the only albums I know about Starship. The lineups and band name changes I would never understand because I could not be bothered as long as the good music like We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now mattered. I discovered the band in the movie Mannequin when I was also a teenager and in love. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now is my one of hundred favourite songs from the 80s. The band is among my favourite bands. What a coincidence that listening to the song again wondering what the band is up to in the new millennium, I found this album online only tonight. Listened to samples and immediately downloaded the album. This is a good album which still has the 80's pop rock feel. Romantic ballads, heavy piano, melodic electric guitar bring the nostalgic memory of the past. Feels good listening to it. I loved this album very very very much. Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
on 10 November 2013
Mickey Thomas has always possessed one of the finest voices in rock and this album further cements that well deserved reputation. `Loveless Fascination' is a stellar collection of songs in a slightly heavier vein than the excellent `Love Among The Cannibals' opus, released twenty-four years ago.

Although Mickey Thomas will rightly take most of the plaudits for this album, a huge nod of appreciation must go to producer, musician and principle songwriter Jeff Pilsen (Foreigner, Dokken bass player). The sound of this album is big and full and adds to the whole enjoyment of the listening experience.

`It's Not The Same' kicks off the album in fine melodic rock style. `How Do You Sleep' is one of the catchiest tunes on the album.

`What Did I Ever Do?' is acoustic driven rock whilst `Technicolor Black & White' is a rocker and easily the heaviest song on the album.

`Where Did We Go Wrong?' and `How Will I Get By?' complete the question song titles; has an album ever contained as many?

`You Never Know' co-written by Richard Page, Niklas Jared and David Stenmark is another highlight. `You Deny Me' is a fine power ballad

Album closer, the Dianne Warren penned Nothin' Can Keep You From Me' starts Gospel-style before settling into a lovely duet with Stephanie Calvert.

The quality of these ten tracks means that the album starts on a high and does not dip until the final note. A definite one for the `less is more' school of thinking.

A sadly, often overlooked part of the album process these days is the artwork but on this occasion the cover design, by artist IOANNIS, is perfectly befitting of an excellent album.
on 3 November 2013
This is a pleasant surprise . If you liked the last Foreigner album Can't slow down you will like this! Jeff Pilson (bass player in foreigner ) co wrote and produced this and you can hear touches of his style in these songs. Mickey Thomas is in fine form using his voice to great effect. This album deserves to heard . It doesn't really break any new ground but after a few listens becomes like a good friend . Enjoy
on 26 September 2013
Starship have been one of my favourite rock bands since the early 80s and I still regularly listen to the albums 'No Protection' & 'Love Among The Cannibals' to this day. I pre-ordered 'Loveless Fascination' on a whim only knowing that Mickey Thomas was doing vocals, not even audio clips were available at the time. When the CD arrived, it was with some trepidation that I pressed Play... and after the first listen I thought, it sounded okay. Nothing stood out as a hit single, yet saying that, nothing sounded like filler either.

Having now had chance to listen to the CD several more times I feel this album is a grower... it improves with more listens and I'd say it is a decent classic rock album, say a 7 or 8 out of 10. Mickey's vocals still sound as good as ever and at times, hark back to the power of 'Blaze Of Love' etc. The overall sound is less 'produced' than the earlier albums and has more of a Foo Fighters rawness to the guitars than say Def Leppard. That said, the band perform well and there is a tightness to the music that raises this above average rock. If you enjoy Starship's earlier albums, especially Love Among The Cannibals, you'd be on pretty safe ground giving this one a go. It's a good album that I think a lot of people could miss or overlook and that would be a shame... but it's not going to set the city alight.
on 27 March 2014
I missed this album when it was released, What a mistake, The tracks are of similar standard to the heydays of the early 80s and the girls name period. Thomas still has a great voice, AOR fans should enjoy this,