on 26 March 2014
This is an excellent hard drive as far as I can tell so far. I installed it in a new system as a data drive and I am using it to storing media for streaming over my home network. The packaging wasn't great but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

I have Acronis Disk Monitor installed and I noticed that the load/unload cycles were unusually high (2300) after just 52 hours of operation compared to the WD Black 500GB drive (30) that I use as a boot drive. I looked this up on the internet and apparently this is an intentional "feature" and Western Digital claim there is no correlation between HD failure and load/unload cycles. The WD Green drives are set to idle after just 8 seconds of inactivity which is what is creating such a large number of load/unload cycles while streaming media. You can use the wdidle3.exe program to disable or change the idle time to a maximum of 300 seconds which was what I did. There are a number of guides available freely on how to do this so I won't explain further. Synology recommend that you change the idle timer if you use one of these drives in their NAS devices and I imagine this applies to other NAS devices and people who use the drive to stream media.
on 17 January 2015
I have several of these drives, they are awesome, fast and power efficient and they work well in yachts! They are designed for handling huge amounts of data but not for intensive heavy file I/O operations, therefore, brilliant as a second drive in your PC for your music or film library. For intense spooling, virtual memory, thousands of successive read/writes etc (ie your drive C in Windows), you should be buying the Western Digital BLACK.
As with ALL 4TB drives, if you want to boot your PC from it and you want it to be 4TB (and not 2 x 2TB drives), you will need to be an IT guru to achieve this and have Win 64/64 bit motherboard/UEFI bios etc.
For some reason, Amazon as a supplier cannot package and ship 'bare chassis equipment' (ie something that does not come in a manufacturers box), I never received mine and although I cannot fault Amazons after sales, we both wasted a huge amount of time and money trying to resolve the issue and in the end I got my money back.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 February 2014
there seems to be some confusion over the warranty on this drive. If its oem then western digital give you 2 years, its its a retail version you get 3 years. I bought mine from amazon themselves (oem) and had no problems registering with western digital for 2 year warranty.
on 1 December 2014
I reluctantly ordered this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price. The drive arrived protected by bubble wrap inside a box which was in a larger box padded with brown crumpled paper. A second 4Tb black drive arrived suspended in a second box by two plastic retainers. Both drives worked to my surprise as the packaging was so variable, inconsistent and clearly left up to the whims of the warehouse dispatcher with no consistent strategy for packaging such delicate items. The boxes had no clear indication of the fragile nature of the items within. I have received a third drive since which was similarly packaged and works well though I can't help feeling this is more down to good luck than appropriate packaging.
I would only recommend the green drives for backup and archiving as they have a tendency to go to sleep and cause a long pause when you try to access them as they spin up and generate a not responding error which goes when they sort themselves out. The black drives are ace though pricey.
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2014
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 2TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.
on 21 July 2014
Great price for 4Tb. Arrived well packaged and installed without a problem.

Rating is downgraded because WD would not accept registration of this item on their website. This may put you off purchasing. Product is listed by WD as "out-of-region". So I suspect this is a Grey Import.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2015
I am using this drive as part of my backup system. I have a set of drives I use in a rotation where different week s different drives get used. There is space on this drive to get a big set of my data on, the data that changes regularly, together with a complete backup of my operating system drive. I have six hard drives of different sizes and types in my PC to make 10TB and 4 x 2TB drives in an 8TB NAS RAID unit, so there is a fair bit of data to watch. We get a lot of power problems in our house with power cuts and spikes on the mains, so combined with backup drives like this, a set of UPS power cleaning and battery backup devices, 4TB of data storage in the form of drives like this in their own USB3 external cases form the backbone of my hardware protection.

This drive has fitted in well with my backup system. I have not tested it's read/write speeds, but in the USB3 external case it works well. I will most likely be getting more.
on 7 June 2015
Well I'm going to try another one because of the price and they generally have a good reputation but my current WD 4TB green is about 6 months old and it's not working very well, it shows in the bios but about once every 30 attempts to boot the pc with it connected, it works, hopefully I'll get it running long enough and pray it doesn't get any worse, so it will let me copy the contents over to the replacement. It's definitely the drive that has developed problems after multiple checks and testing and pretty sure that it wasn't caused from anything other than it's own everyday running. no surges, accidents or anything other than it having to cope with being powered up and used strictly for backup storage plus o/s was set to switch to power saving after 15 min of inactivity, so hardly overworked
update
had a 2nd one of these and it went faulty in less time than the first, I must go against recommending WD drives from now on as this is ridiculus. Samsung and seagate have never let me down before even with old drives, can't understand why people rate WD so much after this experience, I thought my other WD's failed just as they got old but as I've noted I've other brands still working
on 26 January 2014
I installed on of these in my Mac Pro having three other 3TB WD Red drives. After formatting the drive it mounted on the desktop fine and for the first week there were no problems. Thereafter the drive started to get louder and louder until the 'hum' was loud enough to be annoying to say the least. A few days ago, the drive failed to mount when I started the computer. Not a great experience. Sent back for a refund and will probably replace with a 4TB Hitachi drive.
on 16 August 2014
installed the drive in a Synology NAS to replace a smaller capacity drive. Initially all went ok. Then the Nas started e-mailing me about read\write errors and remapping sectors. This started to give concern. Once the Raid Array was fully rebuilt the drive failed it's SMART tests so I replaced it