4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues
This is an excellent hard drive as far as I can tell so far. I installed it in a new system as a data drive and I am using it to storing media for streaming over my home network. The packaging wasn't great but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Published 11 months ago by corroonb

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequately packaged drives
Published 11 months ago by Afshar Ahmad

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: WD Green 4TB Desktop 3.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive (Personal Computers)

I have Acronis Disk Monitor installed and I noticed that the load/unload cycles were unusually high (2300) after just 52 hours of operation compared to the WD Black 500GB drive (30) that I use as a boot drive. I looked this up on the internet and apparently this is an intentional "feature" and Western Digital claim there is no correlation between HD failure and load/unload cycles. The WD Green drives are set to idle after just 8 seconds of inactivity which is what is creating such a large number of load/unload cycles while streaming media. You can use the wdidle3.exe program to disable or change the idle time to a maximum of 300 seconds which was what I did. There are a number of guides available freely on how to do this so I won't explain further. Synology recommend that you change the idle timer if you use one of these drives in their NAS devices and I imagine this applies to other NAS devices and people who use the drive to stream media.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 year warranty for oem, 8 Feb. 2014
A. Ross "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
there seems to be some confusion over the warranty on this drive. If its oem then western digital give you 2 years, its its a retail version you get 3 years. I bought mine from amazon themselves (oem) and had no problems registering with western digital for 2 year warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequately packaged drives, 16 Mar. 2014
Just got 3 of these drives using Primes expedited delivery. Was hoping to be spending the weekend archiving my data, instead I am now trying to arrange a return and replacement of these drives. I have never been sent drives so poorly protected. Come on Amazon, this isn't a DVD you're sending. I expect the drive to be protected better than a piece of cardboard wrapped around an anti-static bag and that rattling around inside a cardboard box with limited brown paper and 2 other identical packed disks.

Lets just say having been to Western Digital's, Seagate's and Hitachi's websites to find out what they consider acceptable packaging for an RMA, they would not likely accept these drives on the basis of their packaging as sent to me. I prefer not to start life with a 4TB drive filled with deep paranoia that I am going to loose vast amounts of data due to their potential mistreatment in transport.

NOT GOOD!!

4.0 out of 5 stars ... this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price, 1 Dec. 2014
I reluctantly ordered this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price. The drive arrived protected by bubble wrap inside a box which was in a larger box padded with brown crumpled paper. A second 4Tb black drive arrived suspended in a second box by two plastic retainers. Both drives worked to my surprise as the packaging was so variable, inconsistent and clearly left up to the whims of the warehouse dispatcher with no consistent strategy for packaging such delicate items. The boxes had no clear indication of the fragile nature of the items within. I have received a third drive since which was similarly packaged and works well though I can't help feeling this is more down to good luck than appropriate packaging.
I would only recommend the green drives for backup and archiving as they have a tendency to go to sleep and cause a long pause when you try to access them as they spin up and generate a not responding error which goes when they sort themselves out. The black drives are ace though pricey.

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy then failed, 26 Jan. 2014
Philip Giles (Thurlaston, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I installed on of these in my Mac Pro having three other 3TB WD Red drives. After formatting the drive it mounted on the desktop fine and for the first week there were no problems. Thereafter the drive started to get louder and louder until the 'hum' was loud enough to be annoying to say the least. A few days ago, the drive failed to mount when I started the computer. Not a great experience. Sent back for a refund and will probably replace with a 4TB Hitachi drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars This hard drive is quiet, low power consumption, runs cool and high data capacity, 17 Feb. 2014
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 2TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.

5.0 out of 5 stars PPP packaging, 13 Sept. 2014
Packaging is seriously not up to standard. A piece of brown paper scrunched on top of a hard drive laying in the bottom of a box is NOT good enough Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice big HDD from a reliable manufacturer, 27 Nov. 2014
A. Webb (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Nice big HDD from a reliable manufacturer. Solidly built, and trustworthy as any modern electrical component. One caveat that buyers should be aware of, is that this and all other HDD's over 2gb need to be initialized in a specific manner in order to use the available space as one drive. To do this type 'Disk Management' into the WIndows search box, and initialize the new HDD as GPT. If you use MBR by mistake, or choice, the drive will have two partitions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best second drive you can buy!, 17 Jan. 2015
I have several of these drives, they are awesome, fast and power efficient and they work well in yachts! They are designed for handling huge amounts of data but not for intensive heavy file I/O operations, therefore, brilliant as a second drive in your PC for your music or film library. For intense spooling, virtual memory, thousands of successive read/writes etc (ie your drive C in Windows), you should be buying the Western Digital BLACK.
As with ALL 4TB drives, if you want to boot your PC from it and you want it to be 4TB (and not 2 x 2TB drives), you will need to be an IT guru to achieve this and have Win 64/64 bit motherboard/UEFI bios etc.
For some reason, Amazon as a supplier cannot package and ship 'bare chassis equipment' (ie something that does not come in a manufacturers box), I never received mine and although I cannot fault Amazons after sales, we both wasted a huge amount of time and money trying to resolve the issue and in the end I got my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is immense, 14 Oct. 2014
I have this drive as more of a storage device than to have programs installed and it does it perfectly. Getting fast read and write speeds and I can't imagine I will run out of space on this beast any time soon. Thinking of getting another one in the near future to have a RAID array to have my files backed up should the worst happen.

WD Green 4TB Desktop 3.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive