4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues
This is an excellent hard drive as far as I can tell so far. I installed it in a new system as a data drive and I am using it to storing media for streaming over my home network. The packaging wasn't great but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Published 14 months ago by corroonb

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy then failed
Published 16 months ago by Philip Giles

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: WD Green 4TB Desktop 3.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive (Personal Computers)

I have Acronis Disk Monitor installed and I noticed that the load/unload cycles were unusually high (2300) after just 52 hours of operation compared to the WD Black 500GB drive (30) that I use as a boot drive. I looked this up on the internet and apparently this is an intentional "feature" and Western Digital claim there is no correlation between HD failure and load/unload cycles. The WD Green drives are set to idle after just 8 seconds of inactivity which is what is creating such a large number of load/unload cycles while streaming media. You can use the wdidle3.exe program to disable or change the idle time to a maximum of 300 seconds which was what I did. There are a number of guides available freely on how to do this so I won't explain further. Synology recommend that you change the idle timer if you use one of these drives in their NAS devices and I imagine this applies to other NAS devices and people who use the drive to stream media.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 year warranty for oem, 8 Feb. 2014
The Geezer "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
there seems to be some confusion over the warranty on this drive. If its oem then western digital give you 2 years, its its a retail version you get 3 years. I bought mine from amazon themselves (oem) and had no problems registering with western digital for 2 year warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy then failed, 26 Jan. 2014
Philip Giles (Thurlaston, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I installed on of these in my Mac Pro having three other 3TB WD Red drives. After formatting the drive it mounted on the desktop fine and for the first week there were no problems. Thereafter the drive started to get louder and louder until the 'hum' was loud enough to be annoying to say the least. A few days ago, the drive failed to mount when I started the computer. Not a great experience. Sent back for a refund and will probably replace with a 4TB Hitachi drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price, 1 Dec. 2014
I reluctantly ordered this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price. The drive arrived protected by bubble wrap inside a box which was in a larger box padded with brown crumpled paper. A second 4Tb black drive arrived suspended in a second box by two plastic retainers. Both drives worked to my surprise as the packaging was so variable, inconsistent and clearly left up to the whims of the warehouse dispatcher with no consistent strategy for packaging such delicate items. The boxes had no clear indication of the fragile nature of the items within. I have received a third drive since which was similarly packaged and works well though I can't help feeling this is more down to good luck than appropriate packaging.
I would only recommend the green drives for backup and archiving as they have a tendency to go to sleep and cause a long pause when you try to access them as they spin up and generate a not responding error which goes when they sort themselves out. The black drives are ace though pricey.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequately packaged drives, 16 Mar. 2014
Just got 3 of these drives using Primes expedited delivery. Was hoping to be spending the weekend archiving my data, instead I am now trying to arrange a return and replacement of these drives. I have never been sent drives so poorly protected. Come on Amazon, this isn't a DVD you're sending. I expect the drive to be protected better than a piece of cardboard wrapped around an anti-static bag and that rattling around inside a cardboard box with limited brown paper and 2 other identical packed disks.

Lets just say having been to Western Digital's, Seagate's and Hitachi's websites to find out what they consider acceptable packaging for an RMA, they would not likely accept these drives on the basis of their packaging as sent to me. I prefer not to start life with a 4TB drive filled with deep paranoia that I am going to loose vast amounts of data due to their potential mistreatment in transport.

NOT GOOD!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard drive failure in a couple of months, 27 Feb. 2015
I Purchased 4 of these drives about a moth or so ago and one of the drives is already showing a poor smart status and has several bad blocks. As i have it installed in a raid array, it has been rejected by the raid array and is therefore of no use to me. I would like to know if there is any kind of warranty on these devices. I am very concerned. that i can pay out hundreds of pounds on equipment that will fail in a couple of months.

5.0 out of 5 stars This hard drive is quiet, low power consumption, runs cool and high data capacity, 17 Feb. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 2TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.

5.0 out of 5 stars PPP packaging, 13 Sept. 2014
Packaging is seriously not up to standard. A piece of brown paper scrunched on top of a hard drive laying in the bottom of a box is NOT good enough Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best second drive you can buy!, 17 Jan. 2015
I have several of these drives, they are awesome, fast and power efficient and they work well in yachts! They are designed for handling huge amounts of data but not for intensive heavy file I/O operations, therefore, brilliant as a second drive in your PC for your music or film library. For intense spooling, virtual memory, thousands of successive read/writes etc (ie your drive C in Windows), you should be buying the Western Digital BLACK.
As with ALL 4TB drives, if you want to boot your PC from it and you want it to be 4TB (and not 2 x 2TB drives), you will need to be an IT guru to achieve this and have Win 64/64 bit motherboard/UEFI bios etc.
For some reason, Amazon as a supplier cannot package and ship 'bare chassis equipment' (ie something that does not come in a manufacturers box), I never received mine and although I cannot fault Amazons after sales, we both wasted a huge amount of time and money trying to resolve the issue and in the end I got my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Poor Poor Packing by Amazon again, 15 Mar. 2014
Got 2 of these 4tb green drives on the 14th of march 2014 from Amazon and the packing was shocking, The two drives where sliding all over inside a big box with very little to none packing just abit of paper as packing, shocking. I did not even try the drives.

I phoned Amazon up on the 14th of march 2014 and put my point forward saying that these sort of devices should never be packed this way and should be bubble wraped around the whole drive and then boxed. The amazon helpline said that the drives should of not been packed like that and that they would look into it and that they would send me 2 new replacements for the next day saying that they would make sure that these would be packed properly.

Got the parcel the next day and guess what same problem but in a bigger box with more paper packing and the drives where still sliding all over inside the box. What a joke

So now i have 4 of these to return as i am not going to bother checking them.

its a joke that amazon would place and pack these devices in just a normal box with no protection around the drive at all and expecting paper packing to stop them from moving and knocking and taking vibrations. thats why they invented bubble wrap.

The 2nd parcel was worse then the first parcel. Unreal

Phoned them up again and i am still watitng to see what they say, if your wanting to buy hard drives dont by them from amazon, yes they may be a little cheaper but its not worth the risk to your hard drives as they could be damaged even if they are working as there could be errors on the drive caused by poor packing.

shocking is not the word for it.

awating amazon repliy as og 15/03/2014