4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues
This is an excellent hard drive as far as I can tell so far. I installed it in a new system as a data drive and I am using it to storing media for streaming over my home network. The packaging wasn't great but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Published 16 months ago by corroonb

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of Capacity for the price.
Great price for 4Tb. Arrived well packaged and installed without a problem.

Rating is downgraded because WD would not accept registration of this item on their website. This may put you off purchasing. Product is listed by WD as "out-of-region". So I suspect this is a Grey Import.
Published 12 months ago by John Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but some firmware issues, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: WD Green 4TB Desktop 3.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive (Personal Computers)

I have Acronis Disk Monitor installed and I noticed that the load/unload cycles were unusually high (2300) after just 52 hours of operation compared to the WD Black 500GB drive (30) that I use as a boot drive. I looked this up on the internet and apparently this is an intentional "feature" and Western Digital claim there is no correlation between HD failure and load/unload cycles. The WD Green drives are set to idle after just 8 seconds of inactivity which is what is creating such a large number of load/unload cycles while streaming media. You can use the wdidle3.exe program to disable or change the idle time to a maximum of 300 seconds which was what I did. There are a number of guides available freely on how to do this so I won't explain further. Synology recommend that you change the idle timer if you use one of these drives in their NAS devices and I imagine this applies to other NAS devices and people who use the drive to stream media.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 year warranty for oem, 8 Feb. 2014
The Geezer "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
there seems to be some confusion over the warranty on this drive. If its oem then western digital give you 2 years, its its a retail version you get 3 years. I bought mine from amazon themselves (oem) and had no problems registering with western digital for 2 year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars This hard drive is quiet, low power consumption, runs cool and high data capacity, 17 Feb. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 2TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price, 1 Dec. 2014
I reluctantly ordered this drive after reading all the reviews about the poor packaging as it was the best price. The drive arrived protected by bubble wrap inside a box which was in a larger box padded with brown crumpled paper. A second 4Tb black drive arrived suspended in a second box by two plastic retainers. Both drives worked to my surprise as the packaging was so variable, inconsistent and clearly left up to the whims of the warehouse dispatcher with no consistent strategy for packaging such delicate items. The boxes had no clear indication of the fragile nature of the items within. I have received a third drive since which was similarly packaged and works well though I can't help feeling this is more down to good luck than appropriate packaging.
I would only recommend the green drives for backup and archiving as they have a tendency to go to sleep and cause a long pause when you try to access them as they spin up and generate a not responding error which goes when they sort themselves out. The black drives are ace though pricey.

5.0 out of 5 stars PPP packaging, 13 Sept. 2014
Packaging is seriously not up to standard. A piece of brown paper scrunched on top of a hard drive laying in the bottom of a box is NOT good enough Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best second drive you can buy!, 17 Jan. 2015
I have several of these drives, they are awesome, fast and power efficient and they work well in yachts! They are designed for handling huge amounts of data but not for intensive heavy file I/O operations, therefore, brilliant as a second drive in your PC for your music or film library. For intense spooling, virtual memory, thousands of successive read/writes etc (ie your drive C in Windows), you should be buying the Western Digital BLACK.
As with ALL 4TB drives, if you want to boot your PC from it and you want it to be 4TB (and not 2 x 2TB drives), you will need to be an IT guru to achieve this and have Win 64/64 bit motherboard/UEFI bios etc.
For some reason, Amazon as a supplier cannot package and ship 'bare chassis equipment' (ie something that does not come in a manufacturers box), I never received mine and although I cannot fault Amazons after sales, we both wasted a huge amount of time and money trying to resolve the issue and in the end I got my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars A convenient 4TB unit., 22 Jun. 2015
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am using this drive as part of my backup system. I have a set of drives I use in a rotation where different week s different drives get used. There is space on this drive to get a big set of my data on, the data that changes regularly, together with a complete backup of my operating system drive. I have six hard drives of different sizes and types in my PC to make 10TB and 4 x 2TB drives in an 8TB NAS RAID unit, so there is a fair bit of data to watch. We get a lot of power problems in our house with power cuts and spikes on the mains, so combined with backup drives like this, a set of UPS power cleaning and battery backup devices, 4TB of data storage in the form of drives like this in their own USB3 external cases form the backbone of my hardware protection.

This drive has fitted in well with my backup system. I have not tested it's read/write speeds, but in the USB3 external case it works well. I will most likely be getting more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of Capacity for the price., 21 July 2014
Great price for 4Tb. Arrived well packaged and installed without a problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed SMART test after a few days use, 16 Aug. 2014
Mr. M. Rogers "Mark Rogers" (Dawlish, Devon) - See all my reviews
installed the drive in a Synology NAS to replace a smaller capacity drive. Initially all went ok. Then the Nas started e-mailing me about read\write errors and remapping sectors. This started to give concern. Once the Raid Array was fully rebuilt the drive failed it's SMART tests so I replaced it

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is immense, 14 Oct. 2014
I have this drive as more of a storage device than to have programs installed and it does it perfectly. Getting fast read and write speeds and I can't imagine I will run out of space on this beast any time soon. Thinking of getting another one in the near future to have a RAID array to have my files backed up should the worst happen.

WD Green 4TB Desktop 3.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive