4.0 out of 5 stars No Problems so far
I have these installed in a Synology DS214 Play NAS in RAID 1 configuration. They installed without issue and seem reasonably quiet in operation. Formatted capacity down at around 3.5TB though.

Published 12 months ago by Gadget Fancier

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Packaging
Classic Amazon mistake

Amazon have decided that the best way for hard drives to be transported is some brown wrapping paper inside their classic cardboard box, this box has also been damaged during transport.

Published 9 months ago by M. Lynn

4.0 out of 5 stars No Problems so far, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: WD Red 4TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM (Personal Computers)

As the NAS and the drive are new I can't say whether the increased data transfer speed I've experienced is due to the NAS or the drives. For what it's worth, I get transfer speeds upto 105MB/s compared to up to 15MB/s with my old QNAP TS209 Pro and Samsung HD501LJ 500MB Hard disk combination.

The drives arrived in great condition - each in anti-static packaging with a western digital red sticker for you to proudly stick where you like. They were transported in a cardboard box and held securely in place with two moulded plastic 'ends' - no bubble wrap was used that some people complain about contravening manufacturer shipment guidelines.

In terms of load cycles, my NAS is switched on and off automatically twice a day - on for 1 hour in the morning and 6 hours at night. The SMART information so far shows 2000 load cycles in the two weeks that it has been in operation. The drives are rated at 600,000 so this would roughly mean that I can expect the drives to last about 10 years,

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues in my Synology 1511+, 26 April 2014
Rom (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
Bought a couple to replace a Seagate 3TB that started developing bad blocks and SMART errors after only 14 months (Seagate won't touch as out of warranty)!

One thing to be aware of is the load cycle count. I was getting 60 an hour in my Synology NAS. This only serves to age the drive dramatically quickly. WD have come up with a utility to stop it incrementing LCCs as fast which is available here:

[...]

Change hXXp to http in the above URL to make it work. Amazon don't seem to want me to post links to help! IF they still remove the link then search for this in Google:

'WD Red SMART load/Unload utility 3.5" Drive download'

The first result should be a western digital support page where you can download the utility.

Once I applied this patch to my drives they have virtually stopped incrementing the LCCs!

As far as the drives are concerned I use them to stream audio and video media to my various devices and they work faultlessly in my Synology for this. No dead drives and the max temp is less than the WD Green drives I also have in the NAS. The drives peak at about 31 degrees with fans on quiet setting.

Great drives, will be buying more when I want to increase my NAS capacity again.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far the experience has been positive, 26 Jan 2014
I will preface this review by saying I have gone against many of my principles by purchasing these drives because of the negative reviews of others. Time will tell if it was a mistake but so far so good.

I have three of these in a Synology DS414. I decided to go for the maximum capacity drive currently available and have been a long-time user of WD drives, including a number of WD Red 2TB drives. I have not yet experienced any failures of WD drives but have had a Seagate pack up. WD offer a 3-year warranty on the Reds although amazon quote 12 months for the standard packaged product and have confirmed this in an email response to me when I queried this. Probably a mistake on their website but I sourced mine elsewhere and have successfully registered them for the full warranty.

In use I encountered the Load Cycle Count issue - my first drive clocked up a 500 count in less than a day, the second drive 21 in a day and the third drive 1042. No, I don't understand it either. These disks are rated at 600,000 LCC which would take my Disk 3 less than two years to achieve if the Synology DSM software did not correct the problem, which it did automatically following a restart. Following a restart the Load Cycle Count appears nominal - in line with my WD Red 2TB disks.

In use everything seems fine - the drives run at between 23 to 25 degC and are relatively quiet apart from the occasional burble when data is being written. If money was no object I would consider the WD4000F9YZ 4TB Enterprise Class drive but as I said at the start of this review, time will tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Designed Specifically for NAS Storage, 27 Oct 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Western Digital's Red range of SATA hard disks is designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB(A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, the poor slow file write speed means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage. You could buy the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB for slightly less if performance isn't so important.

Review update:

Important note - I managed to attend IP EXPO at Earls Court recently and managed to speak to Western Digital people about the WD Red NAS drives, and they have confirmed what I have read on the WD website - that you should only have between 1 to 5 drives in anyone single NAS unit. If you, let us a say, have a unit like the Synology 1813+ (an 8 bay unit) you are strongly advised not place any more than 5 WD Reds in the unit. As clusters of above 5 drives will give vibration issues that can lead a drive to believe that it has `failed'. For that reason I am reducing my WD Reds in the 1813+ down from 8 to 4. The remaining 4 bays I will `populate' with WD Se 4TB drives. Obviously the decision is yours on what types of drives you use - I have decided on the WD Se drives as they have very good specification and the extra outlay is just about within my budget. Now I know, on the internet, there is some debate out there in the `forums' and blogs about this issue and its `validity' of the five drive maximum- but this is what I have heard from WD and thought best to share.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review update: 29/10/2014

I have been asked for an update, and basically there is nothing to really report - all drives have been running 24/7. There have been no issues whatsoever, the checks done by the synology NAS software have reported nothing out of the ordinary. My current configuration is working fine, as quoted above.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Packaging, 3 Mar 2014
M. Lynn (Herne Hill, SE24) - See all my reviews
Classic Amazon mistake

I am not sure if the drives will work and will now need to test them. This is not the first time this issue of transporting hard drives has been raised, and they need to start taking some action on this, it also concerns me as to how Amazon store these drives. I am in two minds about just sending them back straight away. Why is it so hard for Amazon to do the right thing, which is to store and send them in proper boxes that can handle the storage and transportation. I will put up an image of the packaging materials used.

1.0 out of 5 stars Load cycle count issue with NAS use, beware, 5 Nov 2013
Unlike the 1tb, 2tb, and 3tb versions of the red series which have a lot of good reviews from NAS users, the 4tb version has a problem with excessive load cycle counts when used in a raid array.
The problem will lead to the drive reaching the maximum quoted lcc within 3-6 months, this is the level at which WD no longer guarantees data integrity.
The load cycle problem is not currently correctable by end users without invalidating the warranty.

I would not buy these until the company releases a firmware fix. Buy the seagate NAS drive or the 3 tb red drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working great, nice big drive not too bad a price!, 6 Mar 2014
Put this into my Synology NAS and so far working a treat!

Does not sound louder than my old green drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometime things dont go wrong, 20 Dec 2013
Hi,

I recently purchased a synology 412+ nas unit for a home server (excessive I know, but I have OCD when it comes to my standards and expectations of gadgets).

If like me your using these for a home server unit then I reckon they're great, 4tb driver, wd brand and in my nas I can stack 4 of them, these drives are of course optimized for nas use specifically and I can confirm both units I have received are spot on, usual WD standard. Sometimes you can get a dead drive as per above posts, but its just the same odds when you buy a new ps4 or xbox one, there can always be a faulty unit.

If this is a concern and money is not then here is a handy suggestion: Buy 2 of them, amazon are great about refunding damaged goods etc and provide a great service, so if in doubt buy 2 - chances of receiving 2 faulty drives are lower than chances of winning the lottery.......

if you go for 1tb, 2tb, 3tb you will most likely wanna upgrade to 4tb if your unit can handle it.

My PC I have Raided SSD's and 4x 3tb hdd's and with the exception of the SSD's everything else I use in manner of drives is WD.

Next recommended brand is of course seagate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable - avoid, 17 Dec 2013
Just bought 5 WD Red 4tb drives for use in my Drobo 5D. One was dead on arrival - no amount of swapping bays, re-setting, checking it was 'engaged' etc worked. Sent it back. The replacement arrived today, and while it is at least recognised, it has a 'warning' message displayed alongside the Health status on the Drobo dashboard. I just called Drobo support, and they said they have had numerous reports of the 4tb failing - he recommended the 3tb Red as an alternative and to 'keep an eye' on this one. Such a disappointment. I guess I'll have to keep returning them as they die. NOT what I'd hoped for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A drive for NASses, 9 Dec 2014
Nothing to say to these drives, they're made for NAS and not for everyday desktops, but I guess you can use them just fine to store documents as a second drive installed in your tower.
They're pretty quiet and so far no problem given, I'm using them in DS214play.

Amazon sent them boxed together in the usual amazon box filled with brown paper, the drives where individually boxed with a protective sort-of-cone shaped plastic support, that should manage to reduce damages inflicted by impacts, there are two labels one in Spanish and one with SIOC printed on it. I attached a picture anyway.

I decided to separately buy the WD express warranty extension to get a total of 4 years peace of mind and replacement within 24hrs.

I think I will get a WD Se in the future as their specs are higher for reliability and longevity.

I personally think that whether you buy Seagate and Western Digital, you can't really go wrong.

WD Red 4TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM