5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody owns me but Belinda
Published on 28 Nov 2002 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven on earth - deluxed / expanded version 2CD+DVD
Pity about the cheap-skate-ness of the booklet idea.
1. a catch to hold the booklet together when not in use.
2. No 3 x CD plastic pvc inner sleeves.
My BC-HoE booklet is already dis-integrating as the brown CD holders are cut open by the CD/DVDs.
A bit of extra thought next time, Edsel.
Otherwise the concept is faultless.!
Sound quality...
Published 4 months ago by a.m.hardwick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody owns me but Belinda, 28 Nov 2002
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
This album represents Belinda Carlisle at the most popular, most confident stage of her career. Following the success of her solo album release, she tells us "I'm not afraid anymore," and declares that "nobody owns me." After all, "our love is all we need," and Belinda was basking in the love of both a rather newly-wed husband and a legion of new fans. This album is a declaration of self-worth and possesses some really anthem-like qualities, although the central theme is still love, of course. I love this album so much that I can still remember when and where I bought it when it was initially released.
If you accidentally program your CD player to select tracks randomly, that will not be a problem with this CD; every song is wonderful, and there is always a good chance you will hit one of Belinda's biggest hits. "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" topped the charts, while "I Get Weak" and "Circle in the Sand" were top ten smashes. As good as these three hits are, I personally don't think they are the best songs on the album; in fact, I consider the wonderful song "Circle in the Sand" one of the weaker tracks on the CD. My favorites are "Should I Let You In?" "World Without You," and "Nobody Owns Me." Most of these songs are fast and beat-driven, which is somewhat unusual for a Belinda CD. "Nobody Owns Me" is definitely a song to get you pumped up and ready to tackle the world again. Still, though--and this is an eternal theme with Belinda Carlisle--love is what is really important. Personal strength requires love, she seems to say: "I Get Weak" celebrates rather than condemns such weakness; "Should I Let You In?" addresses the importance of making your own choices and avoiding bad relationships; "Fool For Love" declares that love is worth making a fool out of yourself for. Heaven on Earth is a little unusual in that it features only one slow, romantic song from Belinda; but after an album full of upbeat, energetic tracks, the soft and sweet "Love Never Dies" is a perfect culmination to this artist's most successful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven!, 12 July 2009
M. Mabberley (Crawley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
What the Amazon listing doesn't tell you and it ought to, is that the second disc is a DVD, and the man reason for buying this Special Edition of Belinda Carlisle's best selling solo album.

If you are a fan of Belinda you probably already have this CD in your collection and in all honesty there isn't a great deal of difference to the quality of sound on this re-mastered edition. However, the package is worth owning for the extras that make this a Special Edition.

There are five remixes of the hit singles taken from this album, by the likes of Shep Pettibone and William Orbit, originally available as 12 inch singles, or "b" sides. Plus the DVD, which was previously only available as a VHS tape. This is a live performance in Philadelphia from May 1988 from the Good Heavens! tour. The playing time is 60 minutes and includes Belinda performing all the hits from the album and several Go-Go's hits as well. Definitely worth buying this package for, as the quality is so much better than the VHS tape, if you still own it.

The whole high-quality package comes in a lovely gatefold sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elevating, 1 Feb 2003
Oswald Muerner "New Age-Punk" (Bern, Schweiz) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
With her song „Heaven Is A Place On Earth", Belinda Carlisle definitely has deserved a place in Heaven, be that on Earth or anywhere else. Other great songs are „Circle In The Sand", „I Feel Free", „Fool For Love" and „Love Never Dies". Belinda Carlisle has Punk Rock roots and New Age wings, a beautiful combination! And her singing comes straight from the heart, just as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic album, 30 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
This album was Belinda's first successful break in the UK. This is her second solo album and boasts 5 chart smashing hits (including the No.1 Heaven is a place on Earth).
Each and every song is a favourite. The classic I Get Weak and the hauntingly brilliant Circle in the Sand. Other favourites on the album are We Can Change and the moody and stubborn Nobody Owns Me.
A classic album worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Belinda!, 14 May 2004
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
Belinda shines at her best here. Bright, confident, drug free and looking fantastic. Heaven Is A Place On Earth the worldwide smash hit and lead single sets the pace for a well produced, well written collection of tracks. The best tracks on the album include the singles I Get Weak, World Without You & Circle In The Sand. But don't over look the album tracks like Fool For Love, Should I Let You In & Nobody Owns Me, these could have just as easily been singles. A great voice, a great album!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent live 1988 DVD with bonus remastered CD, 21 Jun 2010
John Frame "There Is No Substitute For Equality" (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
As others have mentioned, the "Belinda Live!" DVD (Philadelphia May 1988) is the star attraction of this edition. My brother and I saw Belinda in Brisbane, Australia on this tour and she rocked on par with the best I've seen - as proven in this film. The NTSC single layer DVD gives maximum video quality in its original 4:3 format, and I'm very glad that they maintained the audio in equally high quality PCM stereo (48kHz 16bit), rather than using highly compressed Dolby Digital 2.0 or a simulated 5.1.

This is among my all-time favourite live music films (a list which includes the 1981 alternative scene epic "Urgh! A Music War" in which the Go-Go's first won my attention). Glorious to watch, resplendent with powerful and rich sound, both complementing a stunning performance. I had no idea that this was the "bonus" disc until I opened the package, and I am very surprised and happy to own this major upgrade on the VHS version. I'm also happy to have a remastered and enhanced version of "Heaven On Earth".

Belinda's autobiography has just been released and in it she talks about her struggle to overcome intense addiction and her pride in her gay son. What's not to like about this woman?

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it just for the DVD, 19 July 2009
G. P. Dodds - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
As said in another review disc two is a superb DVD concert that previously could only be found on old VHS. This live concert is far superior to her Runaway Live DVD which was recorded a couple of years later - although that's worth having too. Belinda's voice was really superb in this period and the backing band were very tight. It's worth buying just for 'I Get Weak' alone - hit the volume and you'll see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beg it, Borrow it, Buy it, 18 Sep 2013
Excellent album and superb vinyl quality. Worth every bit spent on it. The record and the sleeve were in a condition as per the description. Wish Belinda had cut more albums like Madonna. Her albums Belinda, Heaven on Earth and Runaway Horses are worth in gold with Belinda's husky and sensual voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
Like the Runaway Horses set, I primarily purchased it for the music videos. And though it includes a live concert, I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the earlier videos, which were not remastered. But I'm sure most fans will find this boxed set quite excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars BELINDA ON THE STAIRS OF HEAVEN, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Heaven On Earth (Audio CD)
THE SONGS, HER BEAUTY, HER VOICE, GAVE HER WHAT SHE DESERVED: SHE BECAME FAMOUS ALL OVER THE WORLD AND SHE SOLD A LOT OF COPIES. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT "HEAVEN..." IS AN ANTHEM.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›