on 13 November 2014
I read this trilogy because I love her Assassin works so much... But this was hard work... Some tantalisingly good thoughts and the usual farsighted structure... But bogged down by page upon page upon page of dithering and anguished Victorian-stylee emoting. Tiresome and should have been edited down. Really didn't need to be a trilogy, fashionable though that shape is. Could have easily been tightened up into a Part 1 and Part 2.
on 21 July 2015
After reading a lot of mixed reviews for a couple of years on this trilogy I eventually bought it as I had an Amazon gift voucher and I thought well if this trilogy isn't up to the mark as the others have been then I really haven't lost anything!

However, there are very few authors who can really play with my emotions the way Ms Hobb does. After reading the wonderful Farseer Trilogy plus the others which are just as good I was spellbound and was very apprehensive to even start these books! Fortunately, I was captured after the first three chapters and read on. Epiny I thought would grate on me, but I found myself admiring her and in her own way is a heroine. I loved her eccentricity but also her down to earth side when she could help Nevare overcome his doubts. I hope she makes at least a cameo appearance in the second of the trilogy.

Nevare, as with Fitz is doubtful of his worth and I find this more appealing in a protagonist. I feel myself supporting him along the way and admire his natural need for fairness even when it means having to help an enemy.

If you like me have been doubting the worth of this trilogy, give it a go. I know we are all so fond of Fitz et al but Nevare and his story is wonderful too (of course I hope the the next two are just as worthy ;) )
on 29 September 2014
I am enjoying this. I am halfway through the second book of the trilogy, having bought it all in one. It is not as fast moving as the Fitz chronicles, or the sequels, but I want to keep reading. Book 3 may be a revelation...it may not. All in all, I am glad I bought these. They are well written, as are all Hobbs' books. The translation to Kindle is good. The world in which they are based is realistic and accurately portrayed with no discrepancies that I have noticed. If the hero isn't quite as enthralling as Fitz, and there are no dragons...yet...well, it is a different world. A different story. And one that is worth reading.
on 20 December 2013
Oh I just love Robin Hobb so much, she's a fantastic storyteller and I haven't read anything by her that i just couldn't put down. The characters are so involving and the story moves along at just the right pace. i become immersed in the world she portrays and find myself thinking about the characters and what will become of them. The story of Nevare Burvelle is so strange but compelling and the way he is torn between two worlds really made me think about the conflict we all carry - trying to see both sides of the coin so to speak. Highly recommend this riveting trilogy.
on 29 April 2014
As a fan of Robin Hobb's other works, I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy. I especially liked the way the fantasy world seemed to mirror colonial North America. As I'm not from that part of the world, it made the story more interesting. Sometimes the story seemed to drag. I got annoyed at Nevarre for dithering about. And sometimes the narration repeated the same facts or problems over and over. I think Robin Hobb's writing has got better since this story was published. But overall, it was a highly engaging and entertaining read.
on 27 December 2013
Robin Hobb is an excellent writer. Keeps you guessing all the way through. I downloaded this trilogy to my Kindle Fire and therefore take it everywhere . A totally different book from the Rainwilde Chronicles and yet still holds the same sort of Magic and excitement. Already reading the second book of the three and will be disappointed when I get to the end, begging for more of the same. A great read.
on 12 June 2014
I got these on a special offer for only 49p thinking they had good reviews and would be worth a go. I loved them and if I'd got only the first one cheap would have coughed up full whack for the other two. I'll definately be purchasing more of Robin Hobb's books.
I'll leave itto others more eloquent to describe the story, I'll just say, go on, treat yourself, you won't regret it.
on 14 December 2013
Its worth reading if you enjoy Robin Hobbs books, however it was hard work. It was my second attempt, but this time I finished it and I am glad I did. It is an unusual concept and the leading character is certainly unusual. My only concern was that some of the loose ends had not been tied off. Maybe she might come back at a later date to link it with the "Specks" again
on 11 April 2015
I have read most of Hobbs writing and really enjoyed it. This was completely the opposite. A really hard slog and in the end I just gave up. The idea and general story are good but it's so slow with pages and pages of rumination from the various characters. Very disappointing and I would not recommend it. The Tawny Man books on the other hand.........really good.
on 18 March 2015
These are slower in pace than some Hobb books but there's much to enjoy in the series, and they are definitely page turners.

The main issue is that the protagonist is often passive, which can make for annoying reading. The world building is fantastic, however, and the detailing of history, society and environment is rich.