on 5 October 2013
Veronica Roth can write! Really well. Of that there is absolutely no question. And I do not mind paying good money for her work, in the normal course of events. But I was suckered into buying this when I preordered the set of four novellas about the character Four from her Divergent series. At the time it was priced the same as each of those four novellas at £1.99 and I believed I was buying new, previously unavailable material. More fool me...

That clearly was not the case as the "FREE FOUR" story was something the author had previously made available as extra material for free (clue's in the title) and the rest of the 43 pages consisted of the previously published (and bought and read by me) opening chapters of books 1 and 2 (DIVERGENT & INSURGENT).

I note that the price has now reduced to 49p, which is still a bit steep for material I've already bought and read. But I'll swallow my dissatisfaction and accept that price so can I have a £1.50 refund please?

I expect the publishers and Amazon will not care at all about my comments, or those of others here, and if they do they will simply respond with some variation of the "caveat emptor" argument. But I remain very cross about this deliberately misleading and cynical marketing ploy, which I'm quite sure will have had a disproportionate financial effect on the usual teenage book buyers in the young adult target market.

Shame on all involved in this shabby affair!
on 24 October 2013
Through necessity this has to be a short review, there is not a lot that can be said about a 15 page 'book'. This is a retelling of one of the scenes in Divergent, told from Tobias' point of view. I thought that it was interesting to see what he thought of Tris, Eric, and the other initiates. I don't think I would want to read a whole book from his point of view, and not just because he is male, but because he knows too much. However, I do think that reading a pivotal scene like this one from his point of view adds to the story and gives it more layers.

The one bad thing about this though was that it took a lot to actually be able to find it! It was one of those mini e-book novellas that did not want to be found! Thankfully in this case I triumphed and managed to read it!

Blog: [...]
on 10 October 2013
A lot of you think this is the next e-book after the transfer it isn't! The next one is called the Initiate and is out in December. This is just something Veronica wrote back in April before she even announced she would be doing stories from Fours point of view!
on 14 May 2014
First thing's first... This is not the next instalment to the e-book The Transfer, nor is it the next book in the Divergent series. It is a retelling of the knife throwing scene in four's voice that occurs in the 13th chapter of Divergent and was released in e-form as a publishing tool to market Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent series.

Now that that is out the way... I first came across Free Four just after it was released, someone had leaked it on a website the day it became available and I read it shamelessly as I wasn't about to pay £1.99 for an 8 page chapter I had already read just because it was rewritten from a more interesting character's point of view. I loved having a sneak peek behind Four's eyes, learning about a few of his past experiences (his own initiation and fellow initiates) and hearing how he felt about the people around him and the faction he chose, so when I saw it going for free on amazon I downloaded this bad boy so fast my kindle got a stitch.

Free Four is told in Four's voice and has the originality The Transfer and Allegiant sadly lack. If you want a closer look at things from your favourite character from the Divergent series' POV then leave the previously mentioned disappointments alone, you'll only go sick, and download this instead. Veronica Roth's writing and storytelling was scorching hot when she penned this little instalment but, unfortunately, I can't say the same for her talent nowadays.

Indeed, a little bit of four goes a long way... Too much of him however, makes him sound just like Triss!!
on 12 September 2014
More preview and review than new material. I am glad this was for free or I would probably take another star off. I am a fan of Veronica Roth's writing, and I appreciate her admitting that she releases this story was to plug her second book Insurgent. There is not really anything new in this book, and the worst part is 4 comes across as a love struck teenager, hiding from Eric. Also the explaination of his actions is already given in the Divergent book, I am sure she could hav chosen another passage to be written from is perceptive. The next 75% of this download is a chapters from Divergent, and Insurgent.
on 26 September 2013
Liked the ideal of divergent from four's perspective but only one chapters worth is not cutting it. Feel like I've been duped
on 26 September 2013
Wish I'd checked the reviews before - couldn't believe this was only 8 pages the first "The Transfer" was definitely longer . It's not even particularly good, just a very obvious Four interpretation of the knife throwing scene - very disappointed - probably won't buy the rest of the four series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2015
Free Four is one in a set of five short (and in this case phenomenally short) novellas associated with the Divergent trilogy. It's important to know that this particular novella is actually a chapter from Divergent but rewritten from Four's perspective instead from Tris, so I would recommend you definitely read Divergent before you give this a whirl.in relation to the remaining four novellas though, it doesn't appear to matter which order you read them in as they all stand alone.

So it has to be recognised that Veronica Roth writes really well, and this is no exception. I won't lie, I did wonder if I'd like Four's voice as a narrator as much as I did Tris, but I did - perhaps more so! Four tells us his point of view during a poignant scene from Divergent - the knife throwing scene. Of all the chapters she could have chosen, I am so glad she picked this one. I remember reading this chapter in Divergent, thinking 'Why is Four doing this?', and now I know!

Fans of Divergent will enjoy this little extract, but just keep in mind that it is short; even for a novella. Many readers have commented on it's length so just to give you an idea of quite how short it is; my kindle said 27 percent read when the extract finished and the remaining 73 percent was the first chapter of Divergent (which is especially stupid given you'd have to have read Divergent to really understand what's going on in this novella!). A really good, interesting read nevertheless. It's also pretty funny!
on 1 February 2014
I've just finished Veronica Roth's 'Divergent' and thought it might be nice to read about the knife-throwing scene from Four's perspective. I thought that as it's 270 odd pages, the author must have gone into it in a lot more depth.

Nope.

The part about the knife-throwing scene is only about 17 pages long. The rest of this 'book' is the first few chapters of Divergent. Even to call this a 'marketing ploy' to get people into the series makes no sense to me- if you haven't read Divergent, then why would you want to read one scene out of context from a book you hadn't read? Only those who have read the book Divergent would be interested in the scene from Four's perspective, so why then give them the first few chapters of Divergent again? To pad it out..

I know it's only 49p now, but even so, I can get a whole (decent) book for free. Really poor show- this is the kind of thing that should be given for free to loyal fans of the series to let them know how much they're valued. Instead it turns them away leaving them feeling a bit ripped-off.
on 2 January 2014
I have read both Divergent and Insurgent and loved them both. I purchased this smaller extract of the novel thinking it would be interesting to observe the knife scene from Tobias's point of view. I was met with around 5-10 pages of this, although reasonably well written it was lacking in depth and in my point of view, too short. Angrily I was met with an extract from both divergent and Insurgent, if I wanted to read these books again I simply could have picked up the copies I had already paid for. Overall I think this is a pretty poor extract in terms of how it is written.And I feel Tobias's character is not portrayed as an interesting and intriguing person as he is in the novels. A disappointing purchase.