Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.73

on 14 August 2013
Ooh I love a bit of angst and this book certainly delivered on that. Charley and Jake meet when they are 16 and immediately know that they have found that special kind of love that doesn't come round very often. Don't let their age put you off either...they are hot!

Unfortunately Jake's family is the target of a small town hate campaign but nothing can deter them from being happy and on living cloud nine in a perfect little bubble. Their relationship is solid and nothing can split them apart. Until it does.

Fast forward 4 years and heartbroken Charley begins her study abroad program in Edinburgh along with her best friend Claudia. Charley has never been the same since Jake broke her so completely but she is determined to move on with life and is excited to be in Majestic Scotland.

What she wasn't planning on was bumping into Jake and his girlfriend. It's her worst nightmare come true. Especially when she becomes part of a great circle of friends which include her ex and she has to see them on a daily basis.

I lived through all her anguish and was praying for a happy ending, I just couldn't put it down. Things come to a head when the gang go on a trip to Fort William. I loved the authors description of the Scottish Highlands it was almost as if you were there.

I'm not sure if this is a HEA or a HFN as there is a book 2 out next year, but personally I would love for the author to tell me the story of Beck and Claudia
on 24 August 2013
I did really enjoy this. Samantha Young is a great author and she always manages to draw me completely into the characters and the world they inhabit, but I was expecting a stand-alone story, not part of a story that I need to wait until 2014 for the next installment.
on 24 August 2013
I love the way this author writes about young adults in a thorough and yet simple way. She weaves you into their lives, the friends, the little looks and nuances, the untold heartache and yearning, the way their hearts get broken and it takes time to build the trust, little by little.

This story is of Charley and Jake, they had a young perfect love which was shattered by a tragedy. Jake completely shut down and shut Charley out. Three years later Charley has moved to Edinburgh to study and at a party is shocked to her core when Jake walks in...with his girlfriend. Charley is devastated all over again but eventually tries to get past that for the sake of their friends even though it's like a knife scraping on an open wound.

Beautifully written, angsty enough without being boring. The feelings are palpably real.

Yet another SA story that I loved.
on 22 August 2013
I really enjoyed this, it's a refreshing to read something that keeps you grasped from chapter to chapter. The characters were easy to follow and well put together, you and visualise the chemistry between them and the situations. It's well put together and it's kept realistic. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I look forward to book #2 I just hope it's written in the same way. Don't leave a release for book 2 to long, sooner the better eps while its still. Fresh in ppls minds, and eagerness to buy #2,I often find that I enjoy a book, but when it's 6 months to a year for book 2 by then hundreds of other books have been read and I often don't bother buying the follow on book, as the excitement and eagerness is gone.
on 19 August 2013
I am a fan of Young's other adult novels, 'Down London Road' and 'On Dublin Street', so was looking forward to reading this. The story deals with the relationship between Charley and Jake, and chapters alternate between them in the present, at university in Edinburgh, and three/four years earlier when they first met in a small American town. The chapters set when they were 16/17 are a little awkward and seem aimed at a much younger audience, whereas the chapters set in Edinburgh contain quite graphic sex scenes only suitable for an older reader. Also, we are not required to work out anything for ourselves - the characters spend so long talking about how they feel about everything in the end I got a bit bored. Obviously the first of a two-hander, I'm not sure I'll bother with the next instalment.
on 24 August 2013
Into the deep was another brilliant story written by the talented Samantha young. Begins with charley n jake as young 16 year olds in love, high school sweethearts. Drama unfolds at a party which ultimately ends with jake leaving town for good and leaving a broken hearted charley. Charley n jake reunite 4 years later at Edinburgh uni, sparks fly between the two but one big problem, jake has a girlfriend.

I absolutely loved charley, she is one sassy, smart, loyal and kind girl. I wish more female characters could be like that and less whiny! It was endearing to watch jake and Charley's relationship unfold, jumping back n forth between high school n present day. I definitely felt their chemistry sizzling off the pages, but the sex scenes wasn't as hot as on dublin street. The support characters were likeable, but I felt their own stories lacked any substance and took a major back seat.

I didn't realise this was a 2 part series, so was a bit miffed when I reached the ending, there wasn't so much of a cliff hanger, as I don't think anything major happens, but just a simple fact that there is a continuation to jake n Charley's story. This couple has a lot of issues to face, which I feel they have yet to deal with in this book. We can only wait for the next book to see if they have their HEA.

Another excellent read.
on 28 March 2014
I loved On Dublin Street so I was super excited when I received this. If you love Samantha's books you’re going to go nuts for this one!!!

To kick things off we start with Charley and Claudia, they just moved to Edinburgh to study abroad. Claudia spots a hot guy handing posters for a party, who can say no to a party lol. So later they hit the party, Claudia is already off chatting up Beck (the hot guy who told them about the party) so Charley goes off looking for a drink, when she turns around and recognizes someone from her past, someone who she never wanted to see again.

What do you when you run in to the first boy you loved and who at the same time broke your heart!

Yep that’s Jake, the boy she fell deeply in love with, with his arm around his girlfriend, well that’s all Charley can take so she runs off.. Charley knows she's going to run in to Jake a lot while she is here but can she learn after all this time to forgive!!

Now this is one of those books that flicks from present to past. The more you read about the old Jake you cannot help but fall for him, BUT we don't get to hear what went down till nearer the end of the book, sorry!!

With all the characters in this book you cannot help but love them all. Of course the main focus is on Charley and Jake, but the under lying story of what’s going on with Beck and Claudia you can’t help but to go, “Aww”.

I must say the present day Jake takes the piss a bit, he just so wants to have his cake and eat it, I found I really wanted Lowe to get in there so he could have a shot, hey maybe in the next book we may see him find a nice girl.

This book is based on second chance love.See, that’s the thing about second chances. It’s about two people that are there for each other and support each other and care about each other no matter how much they want to deny it. It’s about one person doing everything they can to make sure the other doesn’t fall and vice-versa. Second chances are about holding on to that other persons hand no matter how hard they beg to let go.

Will Charley learn to trust Jake again? Time will tell!!

I must say after reading this book I liked it, it was good don't get me wrong but I liked On Dublin Street more, sorry girls but I liked Braden better then Jake lol.
on 17 November 2013
I absolutely love the detail that Samantha Young brings to her stories. Even after having visited Edinburgh only once I feel I can follow the story round the streets of Edinburgh in my head clearly which just helps to become more invested in the story.

Into the Deep is a story about true love and what it can do to you when its real, no matter how old you are. Charley was 16 and in love, true love. Something happened and Jake broke her heart and most people just expected her to move on saying it couldn't possibly be true love at her age. But it was, it broke Charley and she has never quite been the same since.

We meet her almost 4 years after this has happened when she is on an international study year in Edinburgh with her best friend Claudia. She is over Jake, at least that's what she thought until she runs in to him at a party, with his girlfriend. To make matters worse she can't just avoid him because Claudia and Charley end up becoming friends with his friends.

The more they spend time together the more it becomes obvious neither is over the other, but with Melissa still very much in Jake's life and Charley's uncertainty over whether she will be able to trust Jake again, will they ever be friends or even more?

I was captured from the very start of the story and dragged in to the world of Charley and Jake. Each chapter alternates between current day and 4 years ago so at the same time as things evolve in the main story, you get glimpses of Charley and Jake's history and what has led to this moment. With that as well as the angst between Beck and Claudia makes for a story which is explosive in parts and sweet in others, definitely coming back for more when the second book comes out!
on 12 October 2013
I can officially confirm that a new book boyfriend has been launched into the atmosphere, because when you read Into The Deep, you are going to fall in love with Jake Caplin, hook line & sinker. Oh did I mention Lowe, Beck and Matt cause I pretty much fell in love with them too.

Samantha Young has done it again, with every book you read by this excellent author, you are pulled into a family off diverse and colourful characters. Charley and Jake take centre stage in Into The Deep, but the scope for offshoot novels Sam has for the rest of the characters is endless.

The story jumps between 2008/09 and 2012/13 and focuses on the intense and all consuming relationship that defined Charley's latter years at school and her first and only love Jacob Caplin. Outside factors build against the young couple, and Charley is ultimately left with her heart broken.

Move too 2012 and Charley is in Edinburgh with her best friend Claudia for a year studying abroad, and she bumps into Jake and his current girlfriend at a party. She's shocked, and runs, but ultimately has to face Jake once she realises she cannot avoid him for the whole year. Sparks fly, the flame of their love reignites and they both struggle to deal with the resurgence of their connection.

Jake on being around Charley - It was peace. It was war. It was excitement. It was contentment. It was exhileration. It was soothing. It was calm.............It was everything.......

Seriously I love this guy.

As I said although this book is about Jake and Charley's relationship, the secondary characters offer a whole extra dimension to the story, I loved Claudia and Beck's will they/won't they chemistry, Matt made me laugh out loud more than once with his often blunt and cringeworthy responses, and Lowe...Ooooooh I love a guy with tattoos and a lip ring, being that he along with Beck and Matt are in a band "The Stolen", I think every one of my favourite fantasy male attributes was covered by the guys in this book.

I also love that Sam took us a little further in Scotland. Having visited Fort William myself it was easy to visualise the places and people, and Rowena's accent is just perfectly written.

Sam Young has already shown us that she is the queen of the series with the massively popular On Dublin Street novels. I am happy that she is offering us more of her incredible imagination, with the Into The Deep series, I am pretty sure it will be as popular, and I cannot wait for book 2 - Out Of The Shadows in 2014.

I was lucky to be provided with and ARC from the author, and am happy to provide the above honest review in thanks
on 16 September 2013
Wow, just wow. I absolutely loved this; if you are a fan of Samantha Young already then you will love this one from her. This is her latest new adult release and will have you totally engrossed in the story all the way through.

The story is set in Edinburgh and is about American protagonist Charley as she takes a year abroad studying at the university in the city. Charley has a past. A past that she thinks she has moved on from until it rears its not-all-that ugly head at a dorm party in the form of Jake Caplin. Jake was Charley's first love until everything started to crumble round about them. Leaving destruction in its past the disharmony in their home lives wrecked their relationship. On a whim Jake continues with their plan to study in Edinburgh in the hope that Charley will be there, hoping to reconcile their relationship after 4 years.

Once again from Sam, I've found a story that took me almost no time to power through because I was so hooked and eager to find out what the characters fates were. I loved Charley and her outspoken confidence that comes from trying to deal with and move on from her past. She is feisty and tries to do the best by everyone which becomes apparent throughout the story.

I am in love with Jake, there isn't really any other way to put my views about him down on paper. He is cocky and arrogant and self-assured and sexy and charming and so easy to be completely besotted by. I found him really easy to like from the start and really easy to forgive for his short comings, which admittedly were few.

The story is set in the present with flashbacks to the past, 4 years ago, when Jake and Charley first fell in love. It is written so that the events that transpired 4 years ago aren't fully disclosed until later in the book, keeping you hooked all the way through. The characters are young and close to me in age which I think really made the book relatable to me. In a sense it is timeless because love and loss of love isn't just restricted to young adults.

The supporting characters help the story to develop for the main characters and again, although it was written purely from Charley's point of view the intensity of their relationship is revealed in the writing and it almost feels as though some of the story is from Jake's perspective. I had to re-read some parts of the story, thinking I had imagined the intensity of their feelings towards each other!

Two other great things about this book are the exclusive content from Jake's point of view at the end - which is a massive bonus, every book I've read recently I've commented that I would have loved to hear the story from the other main character - and there is a sequel `Out of the Shallows' coming in 2014!