4.0 out of 5 stars Any budding artists out there?
Published 15 months ago by Mr. A. Mowatt

Published 3 months ago by Louise K

4.0 out of 5 stars Any budding artists out there?, 30 Sep 2013
Mr. A. Mowatt "humour magnate" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing Lessons (Teach Yourself To Draw Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have two granddaughters, one six & one two year old. I am being asked all the time to draw with them. My drawing skills have become limited with the passing years but I do enjoy drawing. I thought that if I purchased this I could start to relearn along with my eldest granddaughter. So far that is how it has been - a bonding moment or three snatched in between homework and cartoons on television. I do recommend the book for it will provide the user(s) with a skill that should last for a life time. I only wish my own prowess in that department hadn't escaped me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nevertheless I managed the examples given well enough and made a couple of nice but simple little drawings, 1 Sep 2014
Some ideas which I haven't heard before. There are 9 ways of helping you to make that initial outline drawing. It has to be said that many of them are vague, and not really very helpful (to me anyway). That really only leaves blocking. There are two methods really, one by using straight lines which for me missed the point as it is easier for me to just draw the curved shapes (if they are curved) rather than having to translate them into straight lines and then back again. Nevertheless I managed the examples given well enough and made a couple of nice but simple little drawings, albeit while not properly understanding the process I was following. I failed to translate it into a drawing that had several components, or for more complex shapes. The other method was about blocking using shapes. Again I find it complex drawing things that aren't there, in order to take them out again with my rubber so I can draw in what is there. I'm not happy having to have a rubber as a constant companion as part of the processes. With the oval shapes given to make the bird, I ended up with a lovely bird but I had to ignore the bottom part of the oval which had nothing to do with anything and got in the way of the tail feathers. I would have captured the overall shape of the outline very quickly and honed it later.

A fish is a simple shape but although I copied it straight out successfully, I made a pigs ear doing it the 'simple' way. Seeing a flower as a funnel doesn't work for me either. You just give yourself extra work to do. The flower using the guide line method didn't explain why the lines were where they were, as they didn't go down the middle of the flower and I wouldn't know how to replicate.

So, although I enjoyed someone attempting to explain ways of actually getting down an outline on paper, I found it of limited value as it was not thorough enough and therefore confused me . The blocking method I found interesting but not enough information for me to translate it into my own drawing. I tend to draw by drawing - straight on the page, drawing what I see. I draw an outline and then make the drawing more complex from this point. I thought it would be interesting to see if there were helpful tips to get an accurate drawing. Well no, no really so I shall probably just continue going straight into the drawing. Step by step drawings using shapes are fine, but I just don't see them as more useful than looking closely at what I see and I am unable to use the methods to simplify my own subjects while I draw them. Besides we were told at school that rubbers were not a good thing!

Where I do agree, is the value of copying. Photos, drawings, real life - anything really. Some nice little drawings are provided for this. We are told copying is bad. Yet we learn everything in this way - eating, speaking, writing. It is the method of the Old Masters too. Of course you move on but it is a fine way to gain confidence and skill. Also practice is emphasised as important too.

I would have liked to have seen the book expand the ideas more practically, the tone of the book was nice and encouraging. It's not expensive, it has some relevant points so I am happy to have purchased the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lines and curves, 31 Aug 2013
Quick guide to making your marks on paper
Written instructions and practical examples to follow which give you a head start in the right direction

4.0 out of 5 stars Drawing immediatly, 6 Jun 2014
I picked up my pencil and following the books guidance started to draw at once. Best introduction to drawing I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book!!!, 18 Aug 2014
Very good easy to understand very simple to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 2 Dec 2014
Great kindle purchase. Clear and helpful information.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 31 Oct 2014