If you have recently converted to a Macbook from a Windows machine you might have a fair number of programs that you'd like to keep using. There are two ways to go about this.
Published 12 months ago by Helpless

3.0 out of 5 stars Great software but you're buying a subscription
Parallels is an excellent Windows Virtual Machine for the Mac and it's a five star product in terms of how well the software does what it's designed to do.

Published 12 months ago by mtp570

3.0 out of 5 stars Great software but you're buying a subscription, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)

There is one thing that potential buyers should be aware of though. Parallels is sold as a stand-alone product. This implies that you can buy the product and it is a choice whether you decide to upgrade to the latest version or not.

However this is not the case with Parallels. If you do buy this product you should treat it as an initial upfront cost and then a yearly subscription of £34.99 - for reasons given below.

Parallels 7 was released in September 2011. It was the current version until September 2012 when it was superseded by Parallels 8. Parallels 9 was released a year later, continuing the yearly update pattern. There is nothing wrong with this model because people can still choose whether to upgrade right? Wrong!

In October 2013, Parallels sent a rather terse email to users of Parallels 7 users stating that they had to upgrade to Parallels 9 if they wanted to upgrade to Apple's latest Mavericks OS because Parallels 7 would not work in Mavericks. Users left with this choice were not offered a discount on Parallels nor any guidance... just hung out to dry, presumably with the expectation that people would be forced to pay up. Parallels have refused to respond to feedback on their forums over this.

If you are happy with a yearly payment for Parallels then it is an excellent piece of software. If you aren't happy with that, or you are wary of a company who treats existing users so poorly you will need to look elsewhere. Many people have already jumped ship to Oracle's FREE VirtualBox solution.

2.0 out of 5 stars V8 is much better than V9 in my humble opinion and personal experience., 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
I've been a happy Parallels user since V 5.

I'm on a macbook pro 8 GB ram. 1TB hybrid hard drive. Mavericks. Windows 7 virtual machine and Windows 8 bootcamp.

Parallels V8 worked flawlessly for me. Coherence mode. or any mode. The only slight bug bear was that it seemed to "remember" USB device choice (Mac or PC), but i don't want it to remember this. Minor niggle.

Upgraded to Parallels V9 - disaster.

1. The Windows Taskbar now is below / underneath the Mac doc or notifications bar at the top of the screen. A work around is to have the Windows taskbar on the left or right of the screen. However, a fundamental problem remains: When windows apps operate in full screen (coherence), these are also underneath Mac doc and notifications bar. ...making it very difficult to control the windows apps. Why oh why did Parallels introduce this useless change?!!?

2. Boot up and shut down seems to take longer now. Clunkier. It's almost as if Parallels V9 is loading up more settings in the background, and using up more resources.

Get rid of this "full screen" function, or at least add a choice of being able to turn this off.

I do not recommend the upgrade to V9 if you were on V8.

4.0 out of 5 stars STILL THE BEST, BUT NO SUBSTANTIAL BENEFITS OVER THE PREVIOUS VERSION, 24 Nov 2013
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
First create a dual boot hard drive, partition the hard drive and install Windows on the second partition. The downside to this is that each time you want to go from OSX to Windows you will have to reboot your Macbook.

Parallels allows you to access the Windows partition as a virtual drive within OSX, no more rebooting but still leaves you with the option of booting into Windows for more memory intensive programs.

There are some minor disadvantages to this, some programs will run a little slower because there is more memory usage, so I wouldn't recommend playing games through Parallels.
It is also easy to transfer files between both operating systems.

Parallels is renown as the best program for this, but is version 9 really that much better than version 7 and 8? If you are on version 7 then yes I would probably recommend the upgrade, but it isn't significantly faster or better than version 8 in normal usage using Win7. I know version 8 also claimed to work with Windows 8 but I'd assume that this new version is a little better optimised for it, but it's not something I can really comment on.

Personally, I have steered clear of Win8.

I'm one of those people who likes to use the most up to date software, I'm a sucker for it really, but that's me. However, there is really no real killer feature that makes this product a must buy over the previous version. I don't think that you'd see any obvious speed increases that you would notice.

It is a little more refined, but if you have version 8 and Win7 I'd wait until the next update.
Still it doesn't detract from the fact that this is a great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade pain, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
Beware this product - it will probably only be supported for 2 years and then they will force you to pay £40 to upgrade to a new version to get it to work with the latest OS version. e.g. Parallels 7 doesn't work on OS 10.9...kerching £35 to buy an upgrade you only need because Parallels want to rip you off.

Chose something else....

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on over to a Mac!, 14 Jan 2014
Andy "Andrew" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
After much prevarication I finally switched from PC to a Mac. The deal clincher was Parallels Desktop v9. I installed Windows 7 and it just works and has enabled me to transfer my Microsoft Office suite and other non Mac software such as Proshow Producer on to my iMac. I have the programmes working as a window in Mac OS v10.9 rather than the separate boot option. The programmes work just as well if not a bit better on the iMac. I have however adopted a policy of not going on the internet though Windows 7. Finally the Parallels Access app is great as it enables you to run your Mac and PC programmes on your iPad. In summary I wish I had "converted" sooner!

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to get started but, 17 Sep 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
I've always had a PC before and recently got this with my new Apple Macbook Pro to load my old Windows 7 programs. It's easy to get started but more difficult to work out quite what happens with hardware which seems to be shared between Windows and the Mac.

The documentation is generally helpful but it doesn't address some of the issues I've already had on things like printers, external CD/DVD writers, etc.

Customer service has been good so far (first month): when I had to call their support with a a printing problem, was very impressed with the speed and effectiveness of their solution. Subequently problem recurred but by then I knew how to deal with it.

10 days after I bought this, version 10 was launched. Check to see if you qualify for a free upgrade on the parallels website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indescribably Cool, 16 Oct 2014
Pete E (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
I've always been hesitant when it comes to Macs. OS X is different, and different is scary. But I was so in love with my iPhone and iPad that I figured what the hell, rather than a new laptop I'll go a bit nuts and get an MacBook. Great decision!! That's a different issue. My one major problem however was that I'd paid money for all kinds of things I wanted to use on Windows, including Office along with some rather expensive web development software who's vendor I'll leave out of this. I have licences, would they let me use them on Mac? Probably not. So what do I do? Buy them again? I'm already spending out a lot of money on the MacBook, do I want to buy everything again? And what if I encounter more software I need from my PC? Hmm, maybe a MacBook isn't such a good idea...

But then wait... there's Parallels!

This software is UNBELIVABLY cool. I am typing this in Word in Windows, and running it fully integrated in to OS X as though it's an OS X app. Honestly the only reason I know it's not is because it still has the Windows minimise/maximise/close rather than the OS X one. And I can copy and paste out of it like it was just another app, I've yet to find ANYTHING that I can't do with Parallels actually and I've been using it for MONTHS! I'm a PC software developer who can now use OS X and Windows side by side, getting the best out of both. Parallels let me do that. I cannot rate it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 18 Nov 2013
S. Bailey "trainersbuk" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
A little hungry on resources now & again & Parallels Access is rubbish, however I need to use Windows 7, Windows 8 & Linux on my laptop for business, sometimes one or more OS at the same time. Parallels does the job better than any other tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant software, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
Superlative. Works as well as you secretly hope it will. I have DropBox on my Mac, but can use it with windows. I have OneDrive on the PC and can read and edit Onedrive folders from the mac. I can copy and paste between clipboards. I can back up my entire windows in one file, and I can move to a new mac in a very short period of time. All whilst living in the security of a TimeMachine backup. Try out installs on a copy, keep your working PC setup without risks. Use iMovie and other creative software that the PC simply cannot compete with. I use Windows full time, but still appreciate the usefulness of FaceTime without having to use the pad. Excellent, excellent software. But best on a more modern unit, not older ones. My Windows laptop on a mac now lasts a lot longer on battery too. Brilliant change for me. No issues so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Both., 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) (License)
I changed from Windows Vista to Apple Mac because I preferred the system but missed some Windows programs. Then I discovered Parallel's which I installed with Windows 7 (since upgraded to Windows 8.1). It really does give you the best of both systems, you just click on Windows as you would any program on Mac. Highly recommended.

Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC)
Parallels Desktop 9.0 (Mac/PC) by Parallels (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8)