5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Music / nothing I aint heard before!
Published 10 months ago by davejulia

If you're new to The Orb or a "completist", then I guess this box set is for you. CD 1 contains all the singles from 1990 to 2001, CD 2 contains rare/unreleased mixes, CD 3 contains unreleased live songs and the DVD contains promo/live videos. Unfortunately it's a bit of a mixed bag...

CD 1 has the singles, of which 6/10 of them appear in exactly the...
Published 11 months ago by J. Shardlow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for completists or newcomers, otherwise a bit of a lost opportunity, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)

CD 1 has the singles, of which 6/10 of them appear in exactly the same format as 1998's UFOff: The Best Of The Orb. I guess they are the singles, though it does have an element of "cash-in" about it, which was pointed out by Thrash/Kris Weston.

CD 2 is remixes. Fortunately, according to my own collection, there are more unreleased than rare. I'm a bit of a sucker for remixes, so the newer (to me) the better!

CD 3 may trumpet previously unreleased live tracks, but the hard truth is that 5/6 of them come from Copenhagen in 1993 and as such bear a rather strong resemblance to the same tracks from the Live 93 album. That is quite disappointing as I'm sure there must be more varied live stuff about. Personally I'd love to have Towers Of Dub from Wolverhampton in 1994 (though I don't think my neighbours would agree).

The DVD provides a very welcome collection of videos, especially if you've only got the VHS version of The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld: Patterns and Textures for your Orbish viewing. Of particular highlight must be the TOTP Blue Room appearence, where Alex and Thrash play what could be chess (I'll show my age now and say that I remember watching it on TV way back in 1992!).

I guess I must be a "completist" as I pre-ordered this as soon as it was announced and have virtually all their albums and the odd single. Given the amount of their work I already have, then I guess it's only natural that I would already have some of the content. Though overall I do feel that it is a slight bit of a lost opportunity to present what at the moment is the first half of The Orb's life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-Off Release, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
I would describe myself as an Orb fan - I have been listening to them since Ultraworld and I too can remember them playing chess on TOTP! As well as a load of bootleg CDs, I even have most of their early albums on vinyl (including FFWD, which I understand is quite rare).

However, the only Orb releases I have bought since Orblivion are U.F.Off (bought as a completionist at the time), Okie Dokie and Baghdad Battieries - the latter two were mostly done by Thomas Fehlmann.

I haven't been too impressed by most of their post-Thrash releases and I am appalled at this 25 year "celebration" which is nothing more than a lazy cash-in. 90% of this content has been released before. There is little in the way of new remixes - I would've liked to see some new, remastered live recordings on there or perhaps 12" versions of some of those U.F.Off tracks. Sadly, it just seems that the ability to produce either no longer exists within "The Orb" as, contrary to popular belief, Mr Paterson is not a musician - he is merely a DJ and an "ideas" person.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing DVD, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
The product description reads like it is the ultimate package for Orb fans but the booklet was an un-inspiring cobbled together collection of text and pictures. The cover was dull and despite having an extensive catalogue to choose from they have just released two discs of the same songs with remixes. The biggest disappointment was the video disc. I cannot believe there isn't better visual material out there especially for an official release such as this

3.0 out of 5 stars Orb for beginners..., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
When this release was announced I was hoping for finally a 12" mix compilation, but the horrors of U.F.Off was repeated:
Short 7" mixes.
Disc 2 "remixes & rarities" disappoints with only a couple of previously unreleased mixes.
With disc 3 you can experience the band live in Copenhagen in 1993. This is really not that different from
the live album that was released in 1993. I was hoping for a collection of live stuff from the entire Island years period,
like the awesome live 95 clips of "O.O.B.E." and "Occidental" on YouTube.
The DVD with all the promo videos omits the videos for "Blue Room" and "Assassin". Why?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Music / nothing I aint heard before!, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
Great music as it would be from the orb(hence the 5 stars) but as a hardend longtime orb fine a bit dissappointed in the mixing of the tracks on disc one. The remixes are ok but again nothing not got elswhere. Disc three is the only nice thing to have as previous recordings have been of a slightly poorer quality. Dvd disc is ok but there is so much more they could have put on (patterns and textures??? - - Glastonbury 93??? ).

In summery a great collection of the more commercially successful period of the orb and a great find for any new orby but wait for the history set box 2 out next year for longtime fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame......, 6 Nov 2013
M. R. Jackson (|London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
I have religiously followed the Orb since Ultraworld, been to countless Orb gigs and
sound sessions, even had a sp**ff with Alex. but disappointed with this package as I was
hoping for so much more.

I guess they have already released so much of the great early work that never made it onto albums,
and Live 93 was a truly amazing live album that could never be bettered, but I was hoping that
they might have included some of the more recent work that did not get onto albums that deserves so much more credit than just re-issuing mediocre remixes of the golden oldies, I guess Island has no rights to the later stuff.

Maybe Island wanted one more Greatest Hits album from the Orb at 25 years, but I do not believe this is the
collection it could have been.

I look forward to the next studio album

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Orb - History Of The Future (Audio CD)
If your a real Orb fan you will have all this material already a long time ago .The remixes used to be hard to find but not anymore (Just google them ).Its an expensive(we are skint) cash in little number really.If your new to The Orb then its ideal cos it has everything in one place as an introduction,otherwise I think its rather a waste of money and nothing new.Its not 1992 anymore....

5.0 out of 5 stars The orb /Priggy 1, 14 Oct 2013
The cd is a double THE ORB HISTORY OF THE FUTURE.Disc one is a history all the orb singles 1991/2000.Its got 10 singles all old favourites including hits 1,Ahuge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centtre of the ultraworld-orbital dance mix [8.10].2Little fluffy clouds-7"mix[4.09].3 Parpetual dawn-solar youth mix[4.00].4 Blue room- 7"mix[4.01] 5 Assassin .7"mix[3.41].6 Oxbow lakes-orbus terrarum version [7.29].6 Asylum orbilivon version[5.19].8 Toxygene-orblivon-version[4.18].9 Once more-cydonia version[4.18].10 Ghostdancing-cydonia version[7.28].Disc two cd 1 A huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld[loving you] aubery mix mkll [7.21].2 Little fluffy clouds-coldcut heavyweight dub mix[6.18].3 Parpetual dawn-ultrabass 1[8.06].4 Blue room -excerpt 605[5.58].5 Majestic-heavy mix"[9.45].6Close encounters-smile you"re on camera mix"[10.05].7 Assassin-another live mix [13.31].8 Toxygene-ganja kru remix [6.27].9 Once more-mark pritchard mix [7.31] previously unreleased.A good cd album by the orb,good stuffif you are a orb fan.Recomended to all good value 2 disc cd contaning there singles hits and remixes,

The Orb - History Of The Future
The Orb - History Of The Future by The Orb (Audio CD - 2013)