A nice little cosy mystery in the 'Myrtle Clover Mystery' series, I think this is the second novel. Myrtle is an octogenarian and former English teacher. Residing in the town of Bradley, North Carolina, her son Red is the local chief of police.

When Tammy, the owner of a local hairdressers is found dead, Myrtle is on the case, trying to get her friend and neighbour Miles, to assist her. Tammy has been hitting the bottle hard, and talking out of place, and everyone is worried about what gossip she has on them. This isn't exactly a difficult case for us to solve, but it is a fun light read as Myrtle is just such a character.

If like me you read a cosy mystery for fun and relaxation then you should quite enjoy this. With Myrtle always having to battle her son to stay out of a retirement home, and in this story having to deal with the dilemma of an horrendous painting this is ideal for putting your feet up with.
on 7 December 2013
I should have read this book before A Body in the Backyard (previously reviewed) as it was written first and would have explained ages of the characters, etc. which confused me a bit in the "Body" book.
This book would probably appeal more to older readers (like me!) who can empathize with the main character, Myrtle - a feisty lady in her late 80's, who likes to solve crimes before her Chief of Police son, Red. At the same time she is staving off Red's attempts to get her into a nursing home!
I liked the interaction with Myrtle and Red; and with her neighbour, Miles - a reluctant helper in her crime solving.
It is a bland, easy read with no sex or foul language and no unnecessary blood and gore, despite 2 murders, and is the sort of book I like to read occasionally as a change from the more blood-thirsty murder and adventure books which I read. I wouldn't want a whole diet of this type of book though!

Tammy, a drunken hairdresser, is hinting at revealing the secrets of a lot of her clients. So when she is murdered there is no lack of suspects!
Myrtle is well portrayed, especially when she tries to act the "helpless old lady" to hide her razor sharp mind and try and pry more details out of the Police or the suspects.
I didn't think her visit to a psychic added anything to the story (though she WAS more developed in the "Body" book) - especially as she didn't see anything really helpful in the tarot cards.
There were some humorous lines and I enjoyed the book, though wouldn't rave over it. I would probably read another book in the series, but not for a while.
on 11 November 2013
dIDN'T MIND THIS BOOK, BUT IN PARTS YOU KNEW WHAT WAS COMING.

Didn't mind this book, was not too heavy to get into. If I had to put it down quickly I could just pick it back up and continue where I left off .Not too mind boggling to keep up.Kept me entertained. Would now look for more of her books.
on 31 October 2013
The main character is a cross between Miss Marple and Murder She Wrote but with an added sense of humour. The story engages you because the characters are believable and the main character's wit and cunning in getting answers is entertaining throughout.
on 27 November 2013
I bought this having read another Myrtle Clover Mystery - the characters are well rounded and believable. I would definitely recommend this to other readers looking for a light-hearted read with a feisty, if elderly, heroine.
on 30 October 2013
I enjoyed this book. It is not a "deep" book but rather a lot of fun. I enjoyed the insights into small town America and the personality of the main character. definitely worth reading
on 10 August 2015
So glad I found this series. Three books in and enjoying them more with every one I read. Myrtle is a great character who makes me laugh, especially during conversations with her son. The killer was easily picked out from the suspects but I never really care about that when the books are a joy to read and this one certainly was. Read this if you like cosy mysteries, you won't be disappointed.
on 17 February 2014
This is a book for those looking to wind down with a coffee in the evening. a little bit of murder mixed in with the tittle tattle of nieghbours and the rum goings on in a small american town. It would be a shame to spill the contents too much, just get out there and read a copy for yourself. I can almost guarantee you will read others in the series.
on 23 January 2014
After reading the first Myrtle Clover mystery, and having now read and thoroughly enjoyed both books, will move on to the next. These Elizabeth Spann Craig stories are amusingly genteel murder mysteries and a 'cosy' read at any time and would recommend this author's work.
on 16 January 2014
It was OK but having read about the gnomes in a body in the back yard, a previous novel in the series, I found this novel a bit too familiar. It is easy to guess the murderer and it is very easy prose to read in the Miss Marple style.