4.0 out of 5 stars Watership Down Blu-ray
Published 19 months ago by Mr. S. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong aspect ratio
Published 17 months ago by Abstony

4.0 out of 5 stars Watership Down Blu-ray, 29 Oct. 2013
After so many false alarms thank Frith we finally have Watership Down in high-definition and with the original silhouette cover. The standard-definition DVD version has a lot of dirt and grime popping up almost every frame, but this Blu-ray has been cleaned up to an extent. They have somehow erased the majority of those horrible ugly black spots, specks and other bits of debris, but there are still white specks fizzing in a lot of scenes, which I suspect maybe could not be removed because it would take a lifetime to touch them all up. There is also a bit of screen flicker passed over too. Also on the DVD version I noticed there are lines running vertically down the screen, but on this Blu-ray they are gone. The image transfer to high-definition has certainly made the picture look much brighter, cleaner, sharper and has much better definition. But the white specks that are present sometimes in abundance, won't exactly make El-Ahrairah proud of this Blu-ray presentation.

I remember watching this film when I was seven years old. As soon as the film started I remember it gripped me from start to finish and by the end I wasn't traumatized or disturbed by it at all. As a seven year old it opened my mind to what possible dangers there are in the world and that there are tyrants out there who are bent on destroying it when the rest of us want to live in peace and harmony. I remember it completely opened my mind to mortality and to how precious friendship is. Watership Down is an enchanting very emotive animated film with endearing characters and a beautiful score, it has humour too, but it doesn't hold back on the harshness of reality and often shows that we truly are just made of flesh and blood, but with an unbreakable everlasting spirit. It is at times graphic, especially the ending, so it's not recommended for very young children who won't understand it, but older kids will get it, some perhaps with a little parental guidance. For me when I was seven years old it certainly enlightened and touched my heart in a way that hasn't left me since.

Watership Down was made over thirty years ago, but I expected this new presentation to be in much better condition because Disney's early classics start from over seventy years old and all of them are impeccable? I believe more restoration work could have been done on this and is unfortunately a half-hearted release. If you already have the standard-definition version then it is worth upgrading to this Blu-ray, you will notice a difference when you see this edition. The only downsides are those scruffy white specks still present in a lot of scenes and that the extras are just the same as on the DVD version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 15 Dec. 2013
Evoking memories of childhood I watched this film whenever it came on TV. Couldnt resist the chance to add it to my Blue-Ray collection. The animation may be dated by today's CG standards and the sound is also not to modern standards. But the story is a classic, and still tugs the heart strings of the younger me.

5.0 out of 5 stars a true classic, 20 May 2015
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
A childhood favourite. I bought this for myself as an add on item. I haven't got round to watching it yet buy I know the film well. They really don't make films and tv the way they used to. I remember when I 1st saw this film on the tv. I was amazed by it, it was very real, you just don't see that with modern day cartoons. This film is about a group of rabbits who's warren is destroyed by man, they are forced to make a dangerous journey to make a new home and the encounter many obstacles on their way. It does have upsetting scenes but it's all a reality of life and children shouldn't be sheltered from that. I also loved the Animals of Farthing Wood, another series which was hard hitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoy this film., 22 April 2015
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Just purchased this, awaiting its arrival. I really enjoyed this movie growing up. It is somewhat dark in places, with what could be considered to be violent scenes, with some focus on death. I probably wouldn't recommend for younger, or sensitive children. I haven't seen this in over 15 years, but certain scenes such as the rabbits being buried alive, the rabbits being ripped apart by the dog, they stuck in my mind, as well as the heartbreaking Bright Eyes scene. This is also a tail of survival and friendship. Those considering this for theie children should probably check the trailer on YouTube first. Personally, I can't wait for this to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant animated classic, 1 Nov. 2013
Amazing animated classic based on Richard Adams brilliant book.Very moving in parts ,moves along at a cracking pace.May not be ideal for very young children as it is quite brutal in places.Looks great on blu-ray ,so if you have not seen it before or have not seen the film for number of years buy it now .

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this and good for all ages, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Enjoyed this and good for all ages. Shows cruelty of man to animals and how sad it is we have to resort to kill these sweet animals. Had it light moments though and will watch it again sometime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for our adult Son who loved it as a child, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Bought it for our adult Son who loved it as a child. He lives in Oslo and I am sure he will love watching it again with his two young sons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this film and it's great having a feature length ..., 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
Love this film and it's great having a feature length making of documentary as well on this. As described, speedy delivery. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Children's Classic, 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Watership Down [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
A children's classic with an all-star cast list providing the voices. It did mildly traumatise me when I was small but this was no bad thing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong aspect ratio, 27 Dec. 2013
For those interested in this kind of minor glitch: The original aspect ratio for this film is 4:3, but this re-mastered blu-ray version has chopped top and bottom sections from each frame to make it widescreen. The picture quality and sound are certainly better than the DVD copy, but with sections missing some parts of the film appear oddly zoomed in compared with the original. It's a shame they couldn't just keep it as it was, there's nothing wrong with 4:3.

Watership Down [DVD] [1978]
Watership Down [DVD] [1978] by Martin Rosen (DVD - 2013)