5.0 out of 5 stars Top Marks for the end of the current series
The thirteenth book of the Spook's series finally concludes the first story. The author says he planned a trilogy, but it took on a life of its own.

Published 2 months ago by Mr. John Booth

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but unsatisfactory elements
Published 1 month ago by Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but unsatisfactory elements, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Delaney and the series, and the final book has all the strengths of the previous one - gripping story, interesting characters and a lot of tension. However, the book also has all the weaknesses of the previous books, but here they appear more obvious - Delaney has always been excellent at writing a build up, but (partially due to the quality of the build up), his pay-offs always seem weak and unsatisfactory, this can be seen throughout the series, as Mother Malkin is defeated by salt and iron, golgoth simply fades away, the kretch dies as soon as grimalkin is angry, the vampire-god is poisoned by Tom's blood, and every enemy alice encounters in book 12 can be defeated by a thumb-less assassin and a blast of magic - these powerful enemies are built up as behemoths of the dark, and yet are defeated far too easily in the end, but this is especially marked in the final book, as the newly-ressurected fiend - the devil himself, the pinnacle of evil, chief of the old gods, is defeated without landing a single blow, we are then told of a new threat, worse than the fiend, who must now be faced - what enemy could surpass the devil? It seems ludicrous to make Lucifer a side-villain in the way of the true force of evil, and it promotes the next series at the cost of chepeaning this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Spook's Book But Perhaps Not The Wham Bam Ending It Needed, 31 Jan 2014
J. Patching "panzer-attack" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
The Spook's series of books is really great. They're marketed as children's books but I started reading them in my late 20s and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Joseph Delaney has a writing style that gets straight to the point, cutting out a load of faff but without making the story seemed rushed.

This book brings the 13 book cycle to a conclusion ... of sorts. Like most of the other books in the series, it's a page turner, it'll have you gripped and you'll no doubt burn through it in a couple of days. I really enjoyed it but I've got one big reservation about it - not enough for me to dislike the book (I'm giving it 4 out of 5 after all) but it's definitely a niggle.

It's not a secret that Joseph Delaney is writing a new set of books set in the Spook's universe. This book, whilst being touted as the end of the series, feels almost as much like a prologue for the new series than it does an end for the Wardstone Chronicles. We're constantly being reminded of this new impending threat that's hanging over the county, how it's worse even than the Fiend. It kind of has the effect of making the climatic battle against the Fiend seem like not such a big deal after all. If this were a 24 episode American TV series, this entry would be less of a big wham bang 'THE END' episode and more like a cliff hanger for the mid season break.

We're constantly told that this new threat facing the County is worse even than the Fiend but I just didn't buy it. I mean, if you're going to have the Devil as your main bad guy ... well, how much badder can you get? The new bad guys just don't seem as bad. This also has the effect of making some major decisions by main characters seem to not quite ring true.

But I don't want to harp on too much about the negatives. This is still a good book and it does wrap up a lot of stroy threads. Some of the relationships between the characters are taken in interesting directions and I'm interested to see where they go.

And ultimately part of me is glad that this is more of a mid season finale rather than a proper end as I would miss the Spook's books if there were gone for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Marks for the end of the current series, 19 Jan 2014
Mr. John Booth "John" (Reading) - See all my reviews

The trouble with endings of long stories is they rarely live up to the hype. This is a good book, it is one scene short of being a great book, but I understand why that scene was omitted, even if I don't agree with the reasoning. I would bet money it was in the first draft before the editor persuaded the author to remove it.

The Wardstone Chronicles started by presenting us with an uncompromisingly description of good and evil, if you used magic )always Dark you would eventually become a servant of the Dark and it was a Spook's job to take those so afflicted and imprison or kill them (sometimes both, though not in that order.) But Delaney subverted that view almost from the start by showing that not all those using dark powers used them for evil. Everybody is compromised as the story progresses, even the Spook turns out to have fallen in love with one of those he fights against.

Delaney created a relationship between a practitioner of the dark arts (Alice) and Tom (our hero). This relationship soon blossoms into the beginnings of a love story. The age range the book is targeted at preventing it from going any further.

What has bound me to these stories is that relationship between Tom and Alice, its strengths and its weaknesses, as our characters discover that for the world to escape the rule of evil, Tom must sacrifice Alice and she must be willing to die. Tom is hopelessly fallible (and to be honest, not all that bright) while Alice has a resolve that burns so intensely it sometimes hurts to see it on the page.

I'm not going to say what happens in this book, but that story is not resolved unless you carefully put together all the clues the author left scattered around. For those of you who have read the book, look carefully at the prophesy made by Mab about what would happen to Tom and then Alice's last words to him.

Buy this book, it's well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 16 Mar 2014
What can I say about The Spooks book. I buy the new one everytime for a relative who just loves these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks Revenge, 11 Mar 2014
Wonderful book, exactly what I would have wanted. Delivery of the book was great. I chose this because I have followed the main story of the Spooks and was desperate to see the end of series. Can't wait for the next books about the rising threat or recommend highly enough these books.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly perfect, 7 Mar 2014
Amazing finale to the series I've been following since I was little.
Tom's adventure won't end with this series, but as a final volume to the epic tale, I was deeply moved (and enraged) by Revenge.
I found myself adoring Tom and The Spook even more than ever, and finding myself despising those I never thought I'd see myself turning against.
HUGE shockers in this, and a damn good read. Recommend to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks) (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing. It the best book I have read for ages. I can't believe that they have finished, can't wait for the next series

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!!, 19 Feb 2014
I have read all of these books and this one was such a great ending to them all, loved it the only negative is that it is the last book :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really the end..., 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks) (Kindle Edition)
Like others I have been following this series avidly and have been anticipating the last book in the series with as much regret as anything else. This book though whilst it does the job of tying up character stories doesn't feel like the grand finale it perhaps should have been. It would have been nice to have some depth to the ending as whilst I enjoyed it I didn't have the huge upsurge of emotion I was expecting from the end of a series that has been an important part of my reading (I remember saving one of the books after release to read while in labour to take my mind off the pain!!)
Still the characters are fantastic, I especially like Grimalkin and I am looking forward to the next trilogy if that's what it turn's out to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks revenge, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks) (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to anyone who like me loves all things spooky, this is the best book series I have read in a very long time . I will treasure them forevermore.

ARRAY(0xa6a5fee8)

The Spook's Revenge: Book 13 (Spooks)
4.68