5.0 out of 5 stars Best CPU for the price
Published 12 months ago by Anthony Lau

3.0 out of 5 stars good
good processor for generic work. although in Linux and while using the slingbox PHP player, the cores go to 100%
Published 13 months ago by R. Caetano

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CPU for the price, 29 Oct 2013
Anthony Lau (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intel Pentium G3420 Dual Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.20GHz, 3MB, 54W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit) (Accessory)
I had upgraded from a Athlon II X2 250 Overclocked at 3.6GHz and this easily smashes it up. For example, this would easily run Youtube 4K videos at 80%~ CPU usage at 30FPS, whereas the Athlon would choke at 100% Usage and push out only 15-20FPS. The stock fan on this is probably about the same noise to the Athlon II X2 250 that I used and heat wise its about 30C on idle and 50C on load which is the same as my Athlon. Not really much to say about it, just super fast and barely uses any power. 54W is nothing for a CPU as most AMD chips are 95W.

Wouldn't be a bad choice for a gaming machine to be fair. The i3 4130 is almost double the price! And its only 0.2GHz faster with 2 more virtual threaded. Might be useful in highly multi threaded games or programs but its not worth paying almost 90% more. If you search for benchmarks done by Toms Hardware, this chip is about as fast as a Quad Core AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 on most things especially gaming as that is still mainly dual threaded. I'd rather get this G3420 + HD7870 than a i3 + HD7790 for a gaming machine. But if you have the money, it'd probably be worth getting the i5 4570 or a K series if you're into overclocking.

Well what more can I say about a CPU review? Its fast, it works and thats about it. Performance wise this would destroy any AMD Athlon II X4's and some Phenom II X4's depending on application. If you don't trust me you can have a look at Toms Hardware where they've done benchmarks and tests. I was close to just swapping out my old CPU for maybe a Phenom II X6, but I thought this would be better for gaming as most games don't use 6 threads. Also my Corsair CX400 PSU will probably choke if I paired a Phenom II X6 125W + HD7870 170W. And really, this CPU is probably just as fast as some of the lower clocked models of the X6 as the Single Threaded performance (per core that is) of the Intel Haswell platform is probably 2x that of the AMD Phenom II, Bulldozer and even Piledriver. So they'd need a 6.4GHz Dual core or 3.2GHz Quad to match this.

For £50 you can't really find anything better. Even if the Athlon II X4 750K is the same price, it guzzles up 100W of power and even more when overclocked. Looking at benchmarks its more or less equal if not the Intel is faster, so geting this makes more sense as you can upgrade to an i5 or i7 if you want more power. Whereas if you get the Athlon, thats the best you could get for the socket so if you want to upgrade to something faster you'd have to get a new motherboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and single threaded performance, 25 Mar 2014
mirko (London, UK) - See all my reviews
So this is half the price of an i3-4130 and the single threaded performance is almost the same. However you give up
Hyperthreading, 3D playback and some AES instructions. You also only get Intel HD Graphics and not Intel HD 4400 graphics.
For my HTPC this is perfect and I can also bitstream audio over HDMI to my Onkyo receiver.

Seems to run reasonably cool but I only have a low profile shuriken cooler on it in a small HTPC case so temps idle around 38C.

For the price I think this is great value for performance but I don't think I would this for serious gaming even with a dedicated GPU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overkill, 18 Feb 2014
I was looking for the cheapest mobo and CPU for basic home NAS.
This is clearly overkill, because it giving much better core perfomance than my heavy gamming rig (amd fx8350)

im pleased.
For future gamming will choose intel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good CPU, fair HSF, 20 Aug 2014
A huge upgrade over the previous CPU I was using. This is used on my FreeNAS server alongside 4 x 3TB drives and 16GB of RAM. Samba speeds are massively improved due to the clock frequency being significantly greater than my old cpu. I've only given this 4 stars as it runs quite hot on the stock cooler, so I would recommend getting a better cooler than doesn't use the standard spring clips and uses the screw plate instead, as this will no doubt clamp on the CPU and in turn, cool it better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems Like A Great Budget CPU for Mainstream PC, 3 Jan 2014
R. M. Ogden (UK) - See all my reviews
I have been building primarily gaming PCs for over 10 years.

I have put this chip in a cheap Asrock motherboard on Windopws 8.1 64. It was to replace a Intel E6200 core 2 Duo on an Asus G41 chipset board that had done sterling service as a second gaming PC and HTPC for movies, streaming Netflix, music etc. It is paired with a HD 6700 Graphics card and a whole 4GB of DDR3 1333 ram pulled from that earlier build.

It is a noticeably faster set up. I have had no driver issues and Windows coped with the new motherboard and CPU without needing a fresh install. I just had to run some registry cleaners after installing the relevant chipset and other drivers for my motherboard.

I would recommend this to anyone after a mainstream budget PC that will play the latest games (when paired with a dedicated graphics card) at 1920 X 1080 resolution, play all your HD media content and do for general office, surfing.

If you want high end gaming performance you'll need to spend more on both graphics card and a more powerful processor but this is a zippy little chip with integrated graphics that are either there as backup (if your dedicated Graphics card fails) or will allow you to play games on low settings using the GPU on the processor.

The daughter is now getting the old Pentium and Asus G41 board which is still a capable combination for her "new" PC Facebook games and school work, You tube, Netflix etc.

I expect this G3240 to serve me well for 2-3 years and cost me about £25 as it will easily sell for £20-30 in a couple of years time.

I was tempted by the Socket 1155 versions of these pentium chips but was swayed by the newer tech and a confidence that any driver or board issues that might materialise with Haswell motherboards would be ironed out.

My main PC is Z77 board and i5 3570K Ivybridge and HD 7950 all overclocked by about 25% over stock.

Which comes to the only real downside I see with this chip = the lack of overclockability. Not an issue for me and probably not for you either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast enough for the basics!, 20 May 2014
I bought this particular CPU for a small office computer that I will use infrequently.

Installation was simple using the supplied heatsink/fan. It just clips into place with thermal paste already applied.

The processor is certainly fast enough for basic tasks, and I've realized that it actually is fine for some games too (just don't expect to be able to run things on ultra settings).

For those who love silence, I've also noticed that the included heatsink/fan is actually decently quiet. It's not deadly silent, but it slows itself down when it's not running under load, so it manages to remain fairly quiet throughout the day. Normally I would find myself getting irked by the constant hum, but I really can hardly notice this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget MC server, 12 May 2014
Bought for a budget home minecraft server, was a great price does the job great, marginal lag with 10 people in creative blowing up 100s of TNT :-p

5.0 out of 5 stars More than enough for what I need. Great value, 24 Mar 2014
Recently bought a G3420 and wanted to post impressions for any potential buyers. I use my PC for internet, office applications and some gaming. Using it in a system with 8gb of ram and nvidia 750ti graphics card. So far seems to be running windows 8 very well using office, chrome, internet explorer, steam, spotify etc. Have run a few games on there and performance seems good (with a 750ti graphics card, not the onboard). Compared the Core2Duo system I had with 4gb of ram this system is very quick, but that might be the fresh install of windows as well.

I went for intel over AMD with this processor as it is a socket 1150 processor and there's a clear upgrade path if you need something faster in the future. The cheap motherboard I am using will take i5, i7 and xeon processors so these will be a good upgrade option in the future if I need something faster. I believe the new Broadwell processors will also be released on socket 1150 so it's possible that the motherboard will also be compatible with these with a bios update.

Games that I've tried include Crysis 2, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock Infinite and Battlefield 3. All run at 1080p. Haven't used it enough to find optimum settings, but paired with the graphics card the processor seems more than adequate. Arkham Asylum has everything set to maximum and runs very well. Battlefield 3 in campaign has most settings on ultra or high and runs well also. It may struggle more with newer games coming out that are optimized for quad core processors (thinking of Watchdogs),but for now seems to be good for what I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sep 2014
Best value for money CPU out there right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, 16 Aug 2014
Quick delivery, easy assembly instructions.