4.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss - Mostly Miss.
I got this album on release shortly before I saw them up in London. Realistically I would probably give it three stars if it weren’t for how good the gig was. I’m reviewing it now just because I realised I hadn’t listened to it in a while and thought I would give it another try.

It was with rather a heavy heart then that I found myself simply...
Published 7 months ago by Fred Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Step back
Published 9 months ago by Mr. George S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Step back, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)
I accidentally stumbled into "STAND UP AND FIGHT" To just sampling music here. I bought it ,because that album is unique and really good,a real gem. So I figured the next album will be even better.Not so. It is too bad ,since the melodies are good but the instrumentation is not.A big step backward. Why a band would do this ,I have no idea and it caused them lots of bad reviews. Ten more miles is a great song and there are others too ,only too bare. This album sounds very amateur compare to "Stand up and fight." On artistic suicide. If they continue this way,they will disappear from site very quickly. Lets hope they come to their senses and turn this around.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened???, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)
Usually the name Turisas is equal with quality, but the new album is a big let down. It seems as though it has been very rushed. Only 3 songs are any good. The rest is boring and feels very flat. I hope in the future, that they will return to the great music they made before this boring album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss - Mostly Miss., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)

It was with rather a heavy heart then that I found myself simply skipping song after song until I was at the end of the album before I knew it. There have always been short songs which feel a little like filler and the odd jokey song on previous Turisas albums but that has been fine due to how long they are. I’d forgotten how damn short this album actually is.

Sometimes a band will release an album which just has to be listened to in its entirety and other times it kind of demands you to be choosy and select tracks from across several albums to add to a playlist. Battle Metal falls into the first category but with this album I realistically just get kind of... bored. Once you skip one song it becomes easier to skip another which you just don’t much feel like. If I make a Turisas playlist then Greek Fire and Piece by Piece are usually the only ones to make it onto it from this album.

That’s not to say that there aren’t other songs which are good but some are just too generic whilst other ones employ some rather annoying sampling that just comes out of nowhere. No Good Story Ever Starts With Drinking Tea for instance is a fun song and was great live but the dramatically sped up lyrics from Varangian Guard which cut into it randomly are really off putting. Especially with headphones on and something which would make me almost embarrassed to play it out loud in front of friends not familiar with the band.

I saw Turisas twice last year both times on very small stages which made for an absolutely incredible atmosphere. Definitely sets I will remember for a long time to come. Yet somehow the fantastic ambience and sheer power that Turisas have live is just not captured well by the majority of this album (though Greek Fire mosh pit with intense strobe lights was utterly incredible). It feels like the style is slipping from something unique and epic but on the fringes into something more generic and bland. Basically I’m saying that if their first album was like this I never would have discovered them. Hopefully the next album will be back to proper form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow burner, but worth the time, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)
If I'd have rated this album after one listen, I'd have probably only given it three stars. I'm glad I didn't as this is an album that needs a good few listens to really show how good it is. I think the main problem on the first listen is that the huge orchestration of the previous couple of albums seem to have been toned down a little and the songs don't have as much of an immediate impact as a result. However, a few listens later and that doesn't matter; it's still Turisas and they know how to make a cracking tune.

Standout tracks are For Your Own Good and Ten More Miles but the whole album is great; just give it a chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same and yet........much more..., 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed the last three Turisas CD s but was much later turning to this one as the reviews seemed a bit mixed and in the case of many of these bands it always seems like dwindling returns the further you get in.
So does their dark Viking folk metal hold up or as it become blunted by familiarity or tainted by a need to overtly experiment thus creating a different sound which no longer delivers?
Turisas have fell into neither trap,this album is unmistakably their style but it has a hint of progressive rock excess which in fairness works well,initiall listens do show certain tracks shine more than others and in some ways a keyboard present on some tracks can detract initially from the previous rustic feel of the band.
In some ways this seems more of a folky power metal album and possibly the most commercial the band have released so far..it's still pretty anthem heavy so far and if a commercial spike in their career happens off the back of this CD allowing them to record another occurs?...well that will be no bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's some great ones in here, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Turisas2013 (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure about this album to begin with, but then the same can be said for stand up and fight and I ended up thinking that was one of their best.
This album (or some of it) definitely grows on you.

I would say I wasn't as thrilled with this album as I hoped though, I only really like 4 of the 9 tracks whereas previously I don't feel that Turisas had ever done a bad song.
The songs which are good are alone worth buying the album for.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Turisas Jim, but not as we know it., 8 Sep 2013
Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turisas2013 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I lie. Or do I?

Well, well, the fourth pillaging platter from Finland's Finest Turisas is upon us and what do we find? We find a more mature bunch of battle-hardened beserkers, that's what! There's a greater stylistic diversity here and the Warlord Nygard has marshalled his troops marvellously with many textured multi ethnic song stylings.
I must say that I let out a gates of Valhalla rattling roar recently when I discovered that Turisas are listed on Prog Archives, however 2013 sees Turisas knocking at the Prog Gates. Well, not knocking, more like hacking with trusty (inflatable) swords.

BUY! OR GET A RIGHT WELLYING FROM THE WARLORD NYGARD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Turisas2013 (MP3 Download)
Another great album from a great band!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
great

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Turisas2013 (MP3 Download)
Brilliant album. Doesn't have a 'theme' like all the others but the songs are just fantastic. Couldn't stop listening to it for weeks after getting it and it was great to see it live

Turisas2013