on 16 October 2013
I loved the Elemental Mysteries series, and thought The Scribe *might* be as good (but really- how can it top Gio and Bea's world?)
Well- It did. It does. I could weep for having finished this book so soon (stupid fast reading). The world Elizabeth Hunter created for the Irin Chronicles feels even more real, resonates even deeper than the Elemental world. The characters burst to life, and it's like you're there experiencing everything with them. Hunter is just a damn good writer and storyteller.

I can't wait for book two.
on 16 October 2013
amazing new series from Ms Hunter!!

a perfect blend of the old and the new, a twist to the fallen angels theme, alpha males, and much much more!!

written so beautfully, with a lot of history of the Irin coming through, im sure there is more that has NOT been said, than has. it has all the hall marks of Ms Hunter's writing, long desrciptions, deeply rounded characters that interact so well. the feeling come across as they should, you are grabbed from the very first page to the last.

i did shout, very loudly, at Ms Hunter, though, when i came across a certain scene, that i'm not going to spoil for those who are reading reviews before they read the book, but then i did cheer also, later on.

i have not classed this as over 18, the sex is there, but its not explicit as in some paranormal writings, its written as only Ms Hunter knows how, as far as im concerned. and there is violence, but again not graphic.

excellent start, thank you! now, hurry spring 2014, hurry!
on 4 January 2014
This was a great read, in my opinion rivaling EH's other series!
Ava is a strong character and I liked her, she is an independant, capable woman but lonely. Preferring her own company she has become isolated having grown up with the ability to hear voices. She is referred to a psychologist in Turkey where her path crosses with Malachi. He is handsome and mysterious and also Irin, a supernatural who detects in Ava the secret behind her abilities. The problem becomes the fact he isn't the only supernatural who knows what Ava truly is!!! A romantic story unfolds with suspense and action, well paced against an historic and well researched back drop. I really would recommend this as a lovely supernatural romantic read. My only criticism is that we have to wait for the next one!!
on 31 March 2014
Love, love, loved this book. Was quick to grip me and had me reading well into the wee hours. I was quite happy to read it at such a pace as I knew there was a book 2 (I'd spotted it before purchasing this one, didn't read anything about it for fear of spoilers but) was confident that if I'd enjoyed the first I could skip straight on to the next.

Well I did enjoy the first. Three dimensional characters, good dialogue, fab story and I was quickly absorbed into the world of the Irin. Who could not fall a bit in love with Malachi? Ava was likeable too, not to mention the peripheral characters and the beautifully described settings. I was whisked along with every step they took. I finished reading all too soon and went straight to the Kindle store to download the next - and NOOOO! - not released until May :( how disappointed?

Will be tapping my feet impatiently until then. If you are reading my review before purchasing Scribe then I am jealous. Jealous of the enjoyment you are going to have.
Elizabeth Hunter has to be one of the best paranormal romance writers around and I can’t wait to devour anything that she writes.

The Scribe forms part of a new series called the Irin Chronicles which I hope will be another long running series because from book one, I am completely and totally hooked.

The premise of the book is totally different and surrounds a group of Irin scribes who are the immortal offspring of the Forgiven Angels. The scribes work together to protect innocents from the dangers of the Grigori, descendants of Fallen Angels.

Ava Matheson is just a girl but who has heard voices all of her life. Partially considered crazy she travels to Istanbul looking for answers. Whilst wandering the city, Malachi, a scribe notices that Ava has drawn the attention of the Grigori but unlike their normal MO of drawing females into their clutches, they simply follow Ava. Ava is aware that she is being followed and assumes that it is by her step-father’s hired protection.

Ava approaches Malachi and assuming his is her hired bodyguard starts spending time with him touring around Turkey. Before long, however, Ava soon realises that she is developing feelings for Malachi and when she finds out he is not whom she suspected him to be, becomes concerned for her wellbeing. Malachi however soon convinces Ava that he is still there to protect her and the two soon become inseparable. It is only when they kiss however that they start to realise that their relationship could have more meaning than they first thought.

***She pressed her face into the skin of his neck and breathed deeply, allowing herself the comfort. Allowing herself to dream for a moment that there could be a future for her that didn’t mean loneliness and isolation.***

The story progresses with Ava and Malachi trying to dodge the ever present Grigori whilst trying to find out exactly who Ava is and why the Grigori have an interest in her. Ava and Malachi fall in love and together they try to understand their feelings as each other’s Reshon.

***“Be quiet and let me undress you, woman.” His low growl shocked Ava out of her anger. “I’ve been thinking about this for over two hundred years.”***

I can’t wait for the next instalment of the Irin Chronicles and to find out who Ava really is and to see what powers she is capable of yielding. The ending of The Scribe is painful but at the same time there is hope that the tragedy that came about may not be as final as first thought.
on 12 November 2013
A fan of the Elemental series (Gio and Bea), I was intrigued when Elizabeth posted on FB the prologue of The Scribe. It captured my interest and I caught myself thinking about it for seemed like a long time until it was released.

A beautiful story that will captivate you into the very pages of this book and the lives of the characters; Ava and Malachi. Elizabeth's writing style has a certain way that makes you feel like you're beside characters and in tune with their thoughts and emotions.
A mix of old history, beautifully descript scenes of Istanbul, ` which I now want to visit myself, and romantic notions are just some of the wonderful feelings that this book will envelope you in, let alone the butterflies, toe-curling moments, though this story isn't without its pain and throat tightening scenes that will leave you wanting a hug and reaching for the tissues. As with other books Elizabeth has written there are still the humorous titbits that will evoke a giggle and ear-splitting grins as well as the mystery and suspense to keep you guessing.

Written in both Ava and Malachi's POV, Ava always knew she was different when she realised that no one else hears voices. The voices don't make sense, everyone in the world, no matter what language they speak, the voices she hears from them are all the same mysterious whispered language. Though being different scares other people and Ava is well adapted to guarding her emotions and keeping people at arm's length to avoid hurt and pain.
Travelling to Istanbul to catch the beauty of the city through the lens of her camera and to meet with a doctor who claims he can help manage her condition, she unwittingly catches the attention of a Grigory soldier, intent to spy and capture her.

Stalking the Grigory soldier that's stalking the woman, Malachi is used to battling with these soldiers in order to protect the humans, as he has done for the past four hundred years.
Observing the Grigory and the unusual hunting behaviour, he becomes fascinated by the woman, what it is about her that has captured the Grigory and the oddity of its behaviour is a mystery Malaichi wants answers too and how did the woman know the soldier was following her.

Unable to let her out of his sights, Malachi runs to her rescue when Ava seems to be trapped by two soldiers, it's not until she turns on him, after disarming the soldiers, that she slips up and says something that has him hoping that she is a miracle, which has just walked up to him and chewed him out!

Ava thinks that Malachi is a bodyguard hired by her rich step-father and Malachi is quick to maintain the façade. Spending time with her Malachi cannot work out if she has a gift or why the Grigory has an interest in her. Captivated by her, he is reluctant to stay away from her.

This story has twists and turns and ups and downs and it will not let you go. Even if you manage to put this book down, you will be thinking about it, eager to carry on where you left off. And after that you will be wishing you hadn't read it so fast whilst you wait a few months for the second book to come out!

The second book in The Irin Chronicles `The Singer' will be out in Spring 2014 Agghhh the wait........
on 17 October 2013
I have long been a fan of Ms Hunter having been addicted to her Elemental series for quite some time, so having become accustomed to this intricate storyline I was a little wary of her starting a new series. However, my concerns were ill-founded as she did not disappoint!

This first instalment of the Irin series was absolutely captivating. As we have come to expect from the author, she provided a rich and complex base for the reader, introducing a good number of key characters but not so many that the reader would lose track of who's who. The descriptions of the various locations involved are wonderfully detailed, and the fundamental plot was gradually revealed allowing critical details to be covered at a tantalising pace. Furthermore, the two central characters are adorable - I was always a champion of Elemental couple Gio & Beatrice, but you cannot help but fall for the personalities and traits of Ava and Malachi, the two work so well together you soon see that they are but two halves of a whole.

The story was a little slow during the first few chapters whilst setting the scene, but once the plot was revealed the pace gathered momentum leading to a riveting climax. I was absolutely hooked, so much so I finished this booked over the course of two days, and the cliff-hanger will make the next few months unbearable waiting for the sequel!

Whether you are familiar with the works of this author or not, you will not be disappointed with this book if you enjoy this particular genre. Well done Ms Hunter, please don't keep us waiting too long for the next instalment!
on 24 January 2014
This is an OMG book! Really that should cover it. Having read Elizabeth Hunter before I was expecting something good, but wow, this is exceptional. I can't really go into any detail without spoiling, but this is a beauty. The writing is beautiful, the language great, the settings so wonderfully evoked you barely need to use your imagination and as always she brings originality to her theme. She's done a complete number on my emotions with this one, don't know if I'll survive intact until the next installment!
on 21 October 2013
Words can't describe what an amazing book this is. I'm not sure how you would pin it down to a genre, it has romance, mystery, paranormal and enough atmosphere to blow your mind. It is hands down one of the best books I have ever read. I didn't think it possible but Elizabeth Hunter just gets better and better.

The book centres around Ava, a young woman who has been troubled by voices in her head all her life and often been dubbed as crazy. We are taken on an amazing journey as she discovers more about who and what she is. We meet the most amazing characters, they are painted beautifully, especially Malachi and his 'brothers'. Characterisation has got to be Elizabeth Hunter's strongest point, I feel like I could reach out and know them. That's not to say however that the plot and writing are sublime because they are!

The paranormal element is unlike any I have ever seen in another book and would spoil it if explained here. The mystery has only just begun and there are many more answers to come in the following two books, but this is the first chapter in Ava's discovery, centred around Istanbul. The book made my heart ache, both for joy and sorrow as we see Ava fall in love and learn about who she is. I for one, am waiting in great anticipation for the next instalment, taking Ava further on her journey.
on 1 May 2014
I don t write reviews but having read the Elemental Mysteries and been staggered that I actually enjoyed reading about vampires (I don t do vampires either !) I was more than willing to purchase The Scribe although I seriously doubted that it would be anywhere near as good. Well how wrong can you be! The book is just so original I am now champing at the bit for the few days that I will have to wait for the publication of her next book. As a two book a day reader and with a very wide spectrum of choices I get to read lots of books which are rated five star. Very few in my opinion warrant this high rating but if the count for this was up to ten I would have no hesitation in awarding it maximum points. Elizabeth Hunter is a treasure and I only hope more people will find her and enjoy her books.