5.0 out of 5 stars This is my book of the year.
Please do not be put off by the title, this is a travel book that makes you feel you have visited the places described. Although it is beautifully illustrated, this book's strength is it's text. I read it in one sitting and I was completely lost. You will listen to the shipping forecast with new ears!
Published on 6 Jan. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Shiopping Forecast
It's okay
Published 9 months ago by Nodrog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my book of the year., 6 Jan. 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent companion for all shipping forecast enthusiasts, 18 May 2009
I fully agree with all the reviews gone before. This is a superb book and I must say acts as a companion to Charlie Connelly's excellent "Attention all Shipping" which also brings vividly to life, all the areas of the shipping broadcast. Most of us are tucked up at night waiting for Ronald Binge's "Sailing By" music followed by the shipping forecast before we can safely sleep. I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks, during the reading, of sailors out there on the high seas and at the mercy of the weather. I also can visualise during the reading how it might have been for ships over many centuries on the high seas and those that perished in shipwrecks on the rocks around the UK and Ireland. With this book and Charlie Connelly's book, we can all now visit the areas. Tempting to have this book on one's lap whilst listening to the shipping broadcast!

5.0 out of 5 stars RAIN LATER, GOOD, 1 Nov. 2013
I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THIS BOOK, THE PICTURES IN IT ARE LOVELY AND HAVING BEEN TO SOME OF THE PLACES SHOWN MAKES IT EXTRA SPECIAL. IT ARRIVED ON TIME, WELL WRAPPED, SO NO PROBLEMS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailing By in beautiful colour, 18 Dec. 2013
Mr. P. J. R. LEWIS (Llandudno N Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What a unusual book, but I am sure there have been countless numbers of us, who have wondered what Tiree Automatic or German Bight looks like.

The original shipping forcast was devised by the great maritime seafarer Admiral Fitzroy, the captain of HMS Beaglle that took Charles Darwin on his voyage of discovery.

The radio broadcast we hear four times a day on Radio 4, first came into being in 1920, and the most recent addition to the shipping areas is Fitzroy itself.

These beautiful coloured paintings give us a real taste of what Hurricane Force 12 would look like in Biscay or Viking.

The ideal book to be reading in bed,just before Radio 4 closes for the night at 1am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic: rings so many bells, 10 Nov. 2013
Main paintings capture light and water, delicate sketches, some fascinating information delivered with humour ... but most of all, I could hear again the voice of the shipping forecast as I, too, sat comfortably to listen with mother back in the fifties. Thank you, Peter Collyer: lovely idea, brilliantly executed!

5.0 out of 5 stars the shipping forecast in full colour, 3 Jan. 2015
This quirky book is ideal for all those who delight in the mysterious names of the shipping forecast. The author visited every one of the shipping areas and gives atmospheric comments on each one. He also painted them with delightful watercolours. In addition 75p of the cost of the book is given to the RNLI. He calls the book 'an indulgence' but it is informative, entertaining, and particularly, for those prone to seasickness, a good substitute to visiting the places for ourselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and beautiful book, 31 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
This book is all about the Radio 4 Shipping Forecast, but if it sounds dull, it's not. The author visits the areas concerned, and accompanied by paintings of the area, it'll make you listen to the Shipping Forecast again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, 11 Feb. 2010
I bought this book as a Christmas present but fortunately was with the recipient on Christmas Day so was able to get a look at it. It's a lovely book, really giving a sense of the atmosphere of the places in the shipping forecast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 20 Mar. 2014
Peter Collyer is the watercolourist of my dreams - I love his style so I can't find anything negative about this book with its beautiful reproductions of his work. He even manages to paint fog beautifully…!
This is another one who travelled around the areas to document them and I enjoyed the commentary to each area along with the paintings. I only wish I could cover my house wall with these paintings! As would anyone else who likes this kind of coastal art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipping forecast with illustrations, 14 Feb. 2011
Brilliant coffee table book to read straight through or to dip into. Excellent condition, speedy delivery and brilliant price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›