on 29 September 2013
Although I did find the ending a little contrived, it didn't detract from a very good piece of writing. I would also have liked to see what happened to Aparajati, after the ending. Would she be another cog in the wheel_ preserving the status quo, would she like many others suffer "compassion fatigue" as she tries to change all that is wrong in Indian society.

I had a lot of empathy for her story and it does sound all to familiar unfortunately. Thank you Mangala for writing this and bringing this appalling situation to light. If domestic violence wasn't brushed under the carpet as much as it is, if people were not so willing to accept it, it wouldn't be such a problem.
on 16 May 2014
This book depicts how women are treated in India. It illustrates the backward thoughts of elders and their offspring. The main character is an extremely intelligent woman who does her utmost to put things right and do herself and her injustice. Wonderfully written and thought provoking. The author should be congratulated.
on 27 March 2014
A painful tale. A fantastic story. Maybe a little confusing at times but probably because I didn't discover the glossary at the back til I finished the book. A good read for a woman who perhaps is doubting her worth. In fact anyone who needs a pointer of hold on it can get better sort of thing!
on 3 July 2015
I have read lots of books like this one, but found this book very boring , only reason carried on till the end was I took it on holiday and had nothing else to read, I would certainly not recommend it.
on 5 November 2013
Beautifully written book. Brilliant ending. Lyrical descriptions of Bharat interspersed with the reality of the suffocating social and cultural norms that continue to hamper equality there.
on 23 October 2014
I have not enjoyed a book as much as this for a long time. I loved all the little stories she tells. You must read it during the day, it kept me up half the night I couldn't put it down. I didn't want it to end. I would definitely read more books by this author.
on 22 January 2014
I would have appreciated the translations at the beginning of the book, rather than having to guess throughout the text.
A really great book, an excellent read. Thank you. I feel privileged to have read it, thank you
on 3 March 2014
Most people are unaware of the problems of women in certain countries who are widowed, divorced without choice or single. It makes for very sad reading the 21st century. However, I'm glad I read it
on 28 May 2014
Gives a good insight into life in an undeveloped part of India.
An interesting read but with so many similar names it takes a while to identify who is who and when
on 31 May 2014
I enjoyed this book and learned lots about this culture and the role of women. I liked the stories of the older generations.