5.0 out of 5 stars One box, Three CD's, All Nine Games Working
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider Super Bundle
Having problems playing the first 2 on Win 8, but I can't complain win 8 isn't very good and it only says Xp/Vista or win 7 on the box. It also doesn't seem to like my xbox 360 wired for PC pad and playing with the keyboard is a nightmare.
Published 18 months ago by Rikki

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One box, Three CD's, All Nine Games Working, 5 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I played the first five Tomb Raider games on a PS One that I bought in 2001 and wanted to revisit them this Christmas (2013). I bought six of the PS One games for £24.50 on an auction site on the internet and was disappointed to discover only two worked when they arrived so, I started looking on Amazon instead and found this 9 game bundle for the PC. I looked very carefully at the description on Amazon and the customer reviews, which were not all good and stated that people had been having technical difficulties. I had an old 'Sold Out Software' Tomb Raider PC disc and also a Tomb Raider Legend disc and decided to test them on my PC before I bought the bundle. Both discs installed okay and I decided that if those old discs worked then the new installations on the new discs in the bundle ought to work also. My final decision was that Tomb Raider Underworld alone cost £12.50 for the Playstation 2, so for another 25p I'd be getting 9 games for the PC.

The bundle arrived in good time and over two days I installed all 9 games in order. As correctly stated by some customers, the older Tomb Raider games do not instantly work without some fiddling. However, there is no patching or particularly advanced knowledge required to make the games work. There is no coding or 'hacking' required to run these games on Windows 8 (I can't yet vouch for them working on Windows 8.1). I will put the solutions for making the games work on my Windows 8 system at the end of this review, hopefully they will work for you to. Some solutions I found on a website called tombraiderchronicles.com and others in a Tomb Raider forum.

I also noticed whilst installing that the games appear to be GOG versions, despite being on CD-ROMs.

Tomb Raider 1 - the original game that started it all off in 1996. For this to even work on my Windows 8 system was a surprise - it has been 17 going on 18 years since the game was originally released. The graphics do look dated although I am of the opinion that they look better on PC than in the PS One edition that I had to return to an auction site seller recently. There does not seem to be any game controller support, although there is an option for user definable keys. The game plays smoothly, and I have not seen the 'black line' issue that some people have reported e.g. in a You Tube review. The game is just as fun as I remember it, although I was surprised as I rounded the corner where the first interactive wolves are in the first stage 'Peru' and the famous incidental music did not play. I played the whole of Peru and the incidental music seemed to be missing in quite a few places along with the 'ding a ling' sound when discovering medipacks, ammo etc. In other places the 'ding a ling' was present. The game runs in dosbox, but needs compatibility settings altered.

Tomb Raider 2 - plays smoothly in compatibility mode with optional resolutions. I haven't played this much but I do remember on the PS One version, vehicles including boats and a snow ski being added along with the ability to ride zip lines/'death slides'. The only issue I encountered in Windows 8 is that Lara repeats herself over and over in the Croft Manor/Lara's home training area which was a little annoying but, the game is from 1997. This problem did not seem to endure during the actual game levels.

**All games after this point have game controller/game pad support apparent with the exception of Angel of Darkness which
has a option for 'wireless device'. Since this is in the controller option I presume it means 'wireless controller' although I
can not say for certain.***

Tomb Raider 3 - plays smoothly, again compatibility settings need to be changed. There are vehicles, flares, and a number of different weapons that were new to the Tomb Raider series in 1998.

Tomb Raider 4 (Last Revelation) - works in Windows 8 with compatibility settings. I found the first level in which Lara's mentor Werner Von Croy repeatedly stops young Lara (the player) in her tracks to teach her how to raid tombs a little annoying, considering I had already played three games in the series. Thereafter the gameplay is smooth and the game is enjoyable just like the first three.

Tomb Raider 5 (Chronicles) - Compatibility settings need to be changed to run in Windows 8. Lara can now swing on bars and walk tightropes. On a personal note, I wasn't really into playing the young Lara as a 22 year old man back in the original PS One release days but, I was surprised to find that I was 3 levels away from the end when I gave up back then so, I'm going to stick with it on the PC and find out a bit more about Lara's past.

Tomb Raider 6 (Angel of Darkness) - The last of the games to require compatibility settings to be changed on my new PC. This is another game with a frustrating, to use a made up term 'stop-starty' training level at the beginning. The game has a darker tone than the earlier games and although reportedly difficult to control on the Playstation 2, has user definable keys on the PC. There are a few new moves including 'hop' and Lara's shimmying now has a strength bar and she will fall if the bar runs downs completely. A new male character is played in later parts of the game although I have yet to reach this stage.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - this remake of the original Tomb Raider game is reportedly the lowest selling Tomb Raider game to date. I can't see why, it is visually stunning in comparison to the original and introduces a time trial mode and unlockable content. No longer is collecting secrets purely for your own satisfaction and finding different amounts of bronze, silver, and gold secrets on different difficulty settings unlocks wearable outfits for Lara, FMV's, behind the scenes/concept images etc. Lara has moves that are not available in the original game such as swinging on bars, and using a grapple hook to pull objects, altering the environment and also to swing over gaps. I have so far completed this game on easy and medium modes and it was a lot of fun, probably one of my favourites to date. I only have one complaint and that is the fact that whichever way the camera is facing affects which directional keys move Lara in a certain direction, and this sometimes seems to glitch leading to Lara not always jumping in the direction I want her to which can be incredibly frustrating.

Tomb Raider: Legend - referred to in other reviews as 'one of the best loved games in the series' this game is exactly that. Legend sees Lara searching for her missing Mother and we find out some more about her history. This game has unlockable content similar to Anniversary. The graphics are nice to look at and the gameplay is incredibly smooth. There is a time trial option and completing all the time trials in each part of the game unlocks even more content including cheat codes. There are a couple of fast vehicle chases which really up the tempo of the game, which is very fun to play and realistically can be completed without the need for level skips or cheats.

Tomb Raider: Underworld - The final game in this bundle. Lara now has in the region of 1700 moves according to the hype. I have only played the training level of this game, which I hope will not be too much of a *spoiler* if I say kicks off the game with Lady Croft navigating her burning Manor which has just been the centre of an explosion. Within moments I was amazed by the stunning graphics and gameplay, which seemed to be even smoother than in earlier games. Since I recently played Anniversary and Legend on the PS2 before buying this bundle for PC I am going to skip straight to playing Underworlds because it just looks so amazing. The only problems I encountered were a long loading time and some skipping on FMV's, however I have only run the game once and it is possible that my computer was running a background task at the time.

I noticed before buying the bundle that people were mentioning technical issues so I will now include in this review the solutions that I have found work on my Windows 8 system. Just before I do I would like to say that it would be nice to see the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot available on disc for the PC, rather than the 10 Gigabyte Steam and GOG downloads that currently seem to be the only way to buy the game. Although I am planning to buy the reboot and it's upcoming sequel, the prospect of a huge download and having to log in to Steam to activate Offline Mode everytime I want to play the game does not appeal to me, so Square Enix - if you're reading this, I at least would like an offline disc version of Lara's latest adventure.

SETTINGS I HAVE USED TO MAKE THESE GAMES WORK IN WINDOWS 8.
In compatibility tab of shortcuts;
(Some game shortcuts are not added automatically but can be dragged to the desktop from
game folders on hard drive, or be created from the desktop by the user. The folders
are called 'Square Enix', 'Eidos', and 'Tomb Raider - Legend' and 'Tomb Raider - Anniversary'.
TR1 Compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3, runs in Dosbox DOS emulator
TR2 Worked okay in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility, some voice skipping in Croft Manor/Lara's home
TR3 runs okay in Windows 95 compatibility, 16 bit colour mode, disable scaling in high dpi. Search for the TR3 setup program on your hard drive and switch the graphics mode to 'software emulation'.
TR4 (Last Revelation) Disable display scaling at high DPIs
TR5 (Chronicles) XP Service Pack 2, disable scaling at high DPIs.
TR6 (Angel of Darkness) Also XP Service Pack 2, disable scaling at high DPIs. When the game is run, choose
'Settings' from the menu, click on the name of your graphics card and make sure 'VMR9' is ticked before
running the game. I have read that some people don't like the mouse control, this can be changed in the game menu.
TR Anniversary - No changes required,
TR Legend - No changes required.
TR Underworld - Also no changes required.

One more note - I found a site called Stella's Tomb Raider site on the internet very useful for information on all the Tomb Raider games. I don't know Stella, but I would recommend looking at this site for background history, solutions, etc. For technical information I also looked at tombraiderchronicles.com, with which I am also not affiliated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs well on Windows 7 64 bit, 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A quick search on the Internet will find several people having trouble getting the standalone version of Tomb Raider 1 to run on Windows 7 64 bit without a lot of extra steps and additional software, this bundle removes all the hassle.

As part of the bundle's Tomb Raider 1 install, an emulator called Dosbox is installed in which Tomb Raider 1 can be run. Apart from a quick splash screen at the start you wouldn't know you were using an emulator when in full screen mode. You don't need to do anything special to use Dosbox, simply click the Tomb Raider 1 desktop shortcut created during install and it launches the game in Dosbox.

You can change Dosbox settings if necessary by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Enter to get to the menu, or Alt+Enter to exit full screen mode, however I found the default settings worked fine.

All the other games appear to be installed natively (without an emulator) and most ran fine using the default shortcuts.

If you do have any issues the first thing to try is right click on the shortcut, and click properties. Go to the compatibility tab and select 'XP SP3'. Most of the shortcuts default to this.

I had two minor issues which were easily resolved:

The first issue I had was that the top right of the game screen kept flickering (I am using an nVidia GTX 660ti graphics card). It turned out one of my Windows gadgets (a CPU monitor) was interfering with the picture. As soon as I moved the CPU monitor from the top right of my desktop to anywhere else on the screen, the flickering stopped.

The second issue was that whenever I quit Tomb Raider Anniversary, Windows Media Center would open. To fix this, right click on the shortcut and click properties. In the target box, go to the end of the entry and delete -relaunchmce

This bundle makes it really easy to run these classic games on a modern pc and is great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider Super Bundle, 23 Nov. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good collection, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've only installed the 1st CD (out of 3) and Tomb Raider doesn't run, but Tomb Raider 2 works fine. I'll update this review when I've tried the rest of them! :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR ME, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have never had to write a bad review on hundreds of items purchased on Amazon but strait away game1 did not work tried to load it many times but just kept failing to load the makers of this games disk need to get there act together you pay for 9 games therefor you expect 9 games to work so I will return item and expect full refund

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
9 Tomb Raider games on 3 discs. The older games, Tomb Raider 1,2, and 3, were the games I really wanted to play. These were a little tricky to install, they wouldn't install from the disc menu. I had to open the disc and copy the game setup file (I think it was the one setup file for Tomb Raider 1,2 and 3. I can't remember exactly) to my hard drive then right-click on it, click the 'Compatibility' tab and choose 'Run in Windows XP mode', and bingo, the game(s) installed. Tomb Raider 1 plays in 'DOSbox' a kind of virtual environment, but it's absolutely fine - looks and plays just like it did on the old PlayStation one. The newer games, (I haven't installed them all), 'Underworld' and 'Legend' installed without any problems and the game play looks great. I'm really glad I bought this, it's a great price for all nine games. My PC runs Windows 7 64-bit, with a core 2 duo processor and a modest Radeon HD6450 graphics card. If you're a Tomb Raider fan and want to play it on the PC, this bundle is great - highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars it's a con, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this bundle as I can't play my old Tomb Raider games on my up-to-date PC. This product suggests, by stating its system requirements, that the games can be played on a modern PC. They can't. No modification (as done by Glidos for TR1) has been carried out, which is what I was led to expect. So the early games are still unusable.
Colin, Somerset.

5.0 out of 5 stars tomb raider super bundle, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
When I sent for this I was nervous because of some of the reviews. So here goes here's mine. I run window 7 home premium 64 bit operating system and I have loaded all the games. Tomb raider 1 had to be changed in compatibility mode but all the rest loaded fine. I have tried all the games for just a few minutes and they all worked great. the only downside is they take a long time to load in, but worth the wait in my opinion. Has I had to throw out all my old tomb raider games has they just would not work. These dvds are great thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable value!, 21 May 2014
G. Hunter (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
9 Tomb Raider games for around a tenner is fantastic value. If you haven't played the Tomb Raider series this is undoubtedly the place to start, hours and I mean hours of game play.

Outstanding buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoyed., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Bought this item a while ago, and everything ran fine until I told Norton to defrag my system drive. I've done this twice since install and everything worked fine. Today Tomb Raider 1 and 2 worked perfectly, but 3 wouldn't load at first, and then decided to tell me it was corrupt and I should reinstall. Had a hissy fit installing to the same folder, removed 1,2 and 3 (doesn't let you select 1 to install) and when I went to reinstall, I got told that 'Game.GOG' is corrupt. Retried a few times, nothing. Abort ends the entire installation.

Very frustrating since it installed perfectly the first time, and worked well too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD)
Tomb Raider Super Bundle (PC DVD) by Square Enix (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock