5.0 out of 5 stars Spend forever customising your system ...
Published 11 months ago by A. Cresswell

Published 10 months ago by Sue H

3.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive package but littlee additional features over 2013 version, 21 Feb 2014
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quickbooks is a comprehensive piece of software for managing the accounts of small business. I've tried several packages and found for this is better than most. There are a lot of help functions and forums and you can customise some aspects to a certain degree. Having now used the previous version for more than 12 months I find the usability a bit clunky e.g. time sheet is under an employees menu and customer centre, but mileage is listed under the company menu. I’ve spent hours trying to get reports and invoices to look how I want to no avail. The foreign currency is very tricky to use.

I was hoping the 2014 version might be a complete overhaul but there are very few new items which for the price you pay for the software aught to be free updates in my opinion. These include: ability to attach documents, updates to templates with respect to VAT and VAT tracking (Not useful for a new small business as unless you have an expensive service or product to sell you wont reach the VAT threshold) create customised email templates and track emails, an income tracker (but this does not work if you have multiple currencies.)

There is now an online version, but that is subscription only, and if you take the free trial you are then not eligible for a discounted price!

Details of the product below:

The software opens with an overview screen which shows the different parts and how they relate to each other I found this very helpful to visualise how the parts flowed. The overview screen is split into 5 areas.

1. Suppliers area has clickable tabs to enter bill details/payment and manage VAT.
2. The customer area has tabs to create estimates, sales orders, invoices, receive payments, create sales receipts, handle refunds and overview statements.
3. The employees area has a tab to enter time and learn about payroll options. 4. In the company area is the chart of accounts, calendar and items and services.
5. The banking area has tabs to write and print cheques, record deposits and reconcile accounts for example.

The various areas of the software can also be access from drop down lists at the top of the screen. There are numerous reports which can be customised and a lot of information can be exported to excel offering other manipulation and presentation possibilities.

The software can be customised, an area to the left has `my short cuts'. The help function is good and gives the answers to many problems with a step by step guide, on line there is additional help and user forums.

The downside of sophisticated software is that you may have to invest a lot of time to explore all the functions and unless you have a fincial background/training, find IT easy, and/or have a good memory and/or use the software on a daily basis. You may have to make notes to remind yourself how to use some features! I've found a few gremlins and looking at the user forums I'm not the only one who needs support. The response from forums can be slow and there does not seem to be band of Intiut staff who pick up the queries, there is too much reliance on customers helping each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend forever customising your system ..., 25 Jan 2014
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777 - Born again Diver" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a contractor I really only rely on basic invoicing, billing, reporting etc. There are just 4 of us in the company and we are pretty simple when it comes to what we need but this product is just incredible. I spend a great deal of time on the customisation page alone and there was not a lot this product didn't do. Like most people I often have new business idea's and models I consider and for all of them this product would quiet easily cover all my needs. Not only is it effortless changeable form colours to positions of things on screen but it also allows you to set up reports and invoices really easy as well. I spent a good hour playing around with this and to be frank it was massive over kill for me. However if you have a 'real' business with real cashflows and customers and it varies all the time then I should imagine ths product is perfect for you.

So what's the difference between PRO 2014 and PREMIER 2014 ? After all there's a real difference in price but what do you get for that?

In Premier you get the folowing:
Create budgets & forcast cash flow
Create back orders for stock and set aside stock for invoicing (whatever that means ???)
Track time and highlight unbilled expenses before you invoice (appreciate this is a good thing !)
Set prices ad determine discounts by customer, job, item and currancy (Never in my field of work!)

Anyway enjoy your product and good luck with your business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses all our needs and expectations, 22 Feb 2014
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am new to accountancy software, but having a husband who is self-employed, but who looks to me to complete his paperwork and tax return, I decided that I needed a little help after the hair pulling that I did over the last return! Although new to accountancy software, I don't usually struggle with using any software on a PC, but I was ready to face a few challenges here!

I was a little wary at first and to be honest I don’t think that I have managed to get to grips with some of the features, but mainly because these are more geared towards small businesses rather than just for use for the basics that a self-employed person needs, however, it is clearly very adaptable and accessible and I can see how it might prove very useful for more complicated work, such as VAT returns, which I do not personally need to use at this time.

For someone new to accounting software like me, the tips that are offered as you explore are very useful and allow you to make the most of the software. Once you are familiar with everything that you need to be, you can switch these off.

I love the invoice section –allowing me to prepare invoices easily and keep them together with other business information. The invoices look very professional and I like having these accessible within the software as it keeps all of the business paperwork together. There is also the facility to attach other documents, so I have been able to attach older documentations and (old-style) invoices to keep everything together.

The foreign currency tools are also useful. Since having the software, I haven’t had to use it, but as my husband does some work as a translator and interpreter, alongside other work, this will prove useful in being able to monitor the fluctuations in the currencies and their worth over time, but also the having the tools on hand to calculate the conversion of money right there, rather than having to come out of this and go and find the information elsewhere and import the calculations back in.

All in all, this software makes light work of all my accounting needs and you can read the other reviews on the site to determine whether this suits your business needs if you are a small or medium business, which I cannot comment on with any authority other than to say that this greatly surpasses my needs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward once setup, 4 Feb 2014
Jason Jesson "Jason J" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is no doubt that quickbooks is an accountants preferred tool for their clients. There are numerous reports that can be viewed at a click and year end figures are calculated in an accountant friendly format.

What is time consuming is the setting up process. The more suppliers and customers you have, the longer it will take.

Having said that, accuracy, detailed information and preperation up front makes future years a lot easier to handle. This is because your suppliers and customers will be all input and just new transactions will be needed for maintenance.

Invoices, bank accounts, reports, transactioins, year end and more are on this software. Optional extras are subscriptions for remote access which is dissapointing due to some others offering access built in.

Small, uncomplicated companies should find this very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small business stalwart, 16 Mar 2014
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our existing business has such simple accounting dynamics that we have been hovering at the margin where a spreadsheet is almost as effective as software. However, having just established a second business that is likely to involve more transactional entries a month we are reappraising our needs.

Quickbooks is one of the dominant players in the market and I sometimes feel that this results in a degree of complacency ('you will learn the way we do things'). However, it is a robust and comprehensive system. If you are moving up from simple spreadsheets it can feel longwinded but if you have got in a mess with amateur accounting, the discipline of process will be attractive.

We could still just about manage with basic spreadsheets but increasingly we need to be able to obtain on the fly reports and here QuickBooks excels (excuse the pun). It is also versatile once you put the commitment in to understanding the full range of facilities. Within a year we are likely to be in a position where we could lose track of aged debtors and after experiencing a glitch this year with HMRC software, we also tire of direct input.

It is likely that we could manage with the Pro version and the extra options offered by Premier (cash flow forecasts, the setting of discounts, unbilled expenses and ability to create back orders) don't tend to bite for us, yet. However, I can see they will save time for larger businesses and those with greater functionality requirements.

Having had a stab with half a dozen brands over the last few years we do now need to bite the bullet and it is likely that we will now commit to 'grown up' software. On balance, we will probably stick with this package. Some prefer Sage but for us QuickBooks feels slightly more intuitive and we will probably grow fonder of its approach once we have put in the investment of time that is needed to become fluent with any accounting package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still great, but only a few differences from the 2013 version, 20 Mar 2014
Rendition (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, this version is for people who haven't upgraded for a while. Apart from a few notable additions, this has essentially the same functionality as the 2013 version.

So what's new?

1. Flat rate VAT has finally been added.
2. The Income Tracker is a handy screen which lets you work through all invoices (recently paid, unpaid and more interestingly, overdues.
3. The invoices management functions are now on a handy tab in the invoice production window.
4. Huge speed improvement on startup!

There are numerous little things I am still coming across and I have only been using it for just over a month. In a couple of months I'll post an update if I've missed anything!

2.0 out of 5 stars Requires internet, 17 Feb 2014
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sorry to say that I don't like this product. I was expecting an integrated system which I could use at any time, but unfortunately it requires an internet connection to work properly which, to me, is useless as I don't want to have to search for a connection every time I need to work something out.

What I did see and try was set out clearly enough in the form of boxes which, when clicked on, opened up new boxes to enter information in. However, that's where it got a smidge complicated. Once I recorded a payment, I needed an internet connection for the system to acknowledge the deposit.

I'm sticking with Excel for now thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 21 Jan 2014
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife is the user of this software. She has a small business. She has found it very easy to use and it covers everything she needs. Well worth the money and she highly recommendeds it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quickbooks Pro 2014, 4 Oct 2013
Amazon Customer (Yeovil, Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QuickBooks Premier 2014 - 1 User (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Quite simply it just gets better and better. Once again Intuit have surpassed themselves with this software, it is very easy to use covers virtually everything needed for small business accounting and financial control at a very modest price. The backup and support are second to none. Reports are the easiest yet and a company snapshot can be taken at any time. In my opinion it outshine its rivals with features and simplicity in use. Well done quickbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable, 23 Jan 2014
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using QuickBooks for a while and I have to say that it still beats the competition even with updates that are largely incremental. The philosophy of not breaking what's not broke serves the software well.
If you want the full gamut of features for a small business - indeed, there will be some things that might be superfluous to one in this package - you won't be unimpressed by this. Very inuitive and with assured support that I haven't had to use.

QuickBooks Premier 2014 - 1 User (PC)
QuickBooks Premier 2014 - 1 User (PC) by Intuit (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)