The Poweradd Apollo is a 7200mAh solar powerbank which can be charged in the normal way or via the sun which means it is free power!

In the box you get -

- The 7200mAh powerbank which is 5.7 x 3.3 inches
- A coiled 12 inch power cable which takes all the below adapters
- A selection of adapters for all your digital devices. 30 pin Apple...
Published 3 months ago by KM

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Useless
There's a chance that this solar charger will be absolutely useless. It charged in the sun once and charged my phone, then never worked again, even after being left in the sun or plugged in to the mains. I need my phone to use as a camera and to set reminders to take my pills, and now I will be searching for plug holes all holiday. I will be returning the charger when I...
Published 1 month ago by Tori Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect miracles from the solar aspect and you're good to go!, 29 May 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Poweradd™ Apollo 7200mAh Solar Charger Portable Charger Backup External Battery Pack for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPads, iPods, (Apple Adapter not Included) Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3,Note 3 2, Tablets, Bluetooth Speaker,PS Vita,PSP's, MP3 Players, Gopro Camera, SmartPhones and More Other 5V-USB Devices - Black (Electronics)

In the box you get -

- The 7200mAh powerbank which is 5.7 x 3.3 inches
- A coiled 12 inch power cable which takes all the below adapters
- A selection of adapters for all your digital devices. 30 pin Apple plug, Micro USB plug, Mini USB plug, Old style single pin plug
- A carabiner to attach the powerbank to your rucksack or such
- Instruction manual

Poweradd provide a one year warranty as standard.

The powerbank itself is well built and has an orange rubber coated bumper most of the way around it for protection as this is an outdoor item. The front is all solar panel and it has four blue LED power indicators lus an on/off power button. There's also a lanyard hole for the carabiner to fit through. On the top edge you have a USB and Micro USB port. The output of this charger is 1amp.

This item is not water resistant or waterproofed!

The powerbank takes around 8 hours to fully charge up from the mains electricity so all four indication LEDs are lit.

You can now take this out to charge up your digital devices on the go! It works spot on in doing this, no problem.

How does the solar aspect of it stand up?

Starting from flat I left it in my garden facing south for one day. It was a nice bright sunny day in Liverpool at the beginning of this week. After around ten hours of charging via it's solar panel one LED light was showing. So after ten hours or one days worth of sun it had taken on around 20% (1440mAh) power. So you're talking approx 5 days to fully charge this powerbank up by solar power. Remember the 'input' of this is only 180mAh so it will takes days to fully charge.

So yes it does work albeit slowly.

If I was taking this out I would ensure my devices and this powerbank were already fully charged. You would have to continuously leave this in sunlight to ensure there is charge on it. In the back window of your car or on a window ledge at home would be best.

This wouldn't be your primary charging source but definitely an emergency backup source of power.

This powerbank was kindly sent to me for review by the manufacturers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good power bank with a solar option, 20 Jun 2014
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This Poweradd Apollo 7200mAh Solar Panel Charger was sent for me to review. In the box you get the solar power bank, a karabiner, USB charging lead with interchangeable power tips to fit the most common devices - Apple (pre Lightning); Micro USB for most smartphones, Mini USB and Micro USB plus instructions.

The immediate impression is of a tough well made device although no weatherproof properties are claimed - it has a capacity of 7200mAh, measures 5.70 x3.3 x .59 inches and weighs about 8 oz.. In practical terms it's about the same size as a larger smartphone. The unit has a full size USB output port and Micro USB port if you want to charge it from an electric rather than solar source and it also features a recessed on/off switch.

If you were planning on using this to charge your device from on a daily basis this power bank would not be my choice as it needs a fair amount of sunlight to fully charge it - something you can't rely on in the UK! However, where it comes into its own is as a trickle charger while you are on the hoof. Today I took it out after having flattened both the battery of the power bank and my phone deliberately - I then attached it to my backpack using the karabiner supplied and connected it to my phone. It was a sunny day with bouts of grey sky and it kept my flat mobile phone going all day. To me, this is a more obvious use of a device like this rather than to use the solar facility to keep charging the power bank from scratch. What is also interesting is that the device still charges, albeit it at a lesser rate, in daylight rather than direct sunlight.

What should also be remembered is that this unit can be used in exactly the same way as a normal power bank and you can charge it from a conventional source. I used my iPad charger and the four segment LED charger showed a full charge after around 4 hours. Once full it will charge most smartphones several times over and an average tablet to about 60% from flat. The unit features electronic charging protection against short circuits etc. and has CE approval marking.

If you look at this as a well made, punchy power bank that can be used normally, but with the option of a solar trickle charge facility when you are away from an electricity supply, it's well worth considering and I'll be using mine a lot over coming weeks. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good power bank, consider the solar aspect a "bonus", 3 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Note the maker sent me a review sample, no attempt was made to influence my review

The Apollo solar power bank is nicely made with good quality plastics on the casing. You get quite a good bundle with it including a small coiled USB cable, to which you can attach a number of supplied "tips" to, these are a mini USB port, a micro USB (for charging the power bank and devices that use micro USB), a Nokia (smaller thin style) adapter, as well as the older 30 pin apple connector. A Carabiner and ring are also in the pack.

On the main unit you have the solar panel with the 4 LED lights at the top with the power button. These show the capacity left of the unit, and light up in sequence when you are charging it be it via the micro USB or solar power.
The single USB port has an output of 5volts (as per USB spec) and 1 amp, so no quick charging port here. However I test charged a few tablets and it did seem to be faster than other 1 amp power banks I have used, so I'd not be overly concerned on that side of things.

Onto the main part, the solar charging. Rated at 7200mAh this is quite a good capacity for a power bank, you'll get lots of charges for a phone off this and a enough to fully charge a tablet and a bit left over.

* Solar charging is rated at a max of 180mAh, best performance. That means you'll need approx 40 hours of solar charging to bring the power bank from empty to full. In real world testing I found a couple of solid days (ie about 9-10 hours in good sunlight) brought the power bank up to about half capacity, you'd need another 2 good sun days to fill it completely. Do bear in mind whilst cloudy days will charge the bank, it probably will require more time to do so, and winter time will also slow charging down.

It's useful that the LED's indicate that it's charging as you can tell if you've enough light or not to activate the solar panel charge.
Whilst the Solar charging does seem to take quite long, there will be times you won't have an empty unit and you can "top it up" via sunlight. With a built in micro USB port you can charge it via that too. It took about 7 hours to charge from flat via a wall 2.4 amp USB charger.

Overall I like the power bank, but you need to put the solar charging part into context it might not be ideal to rely entirely on that On the other hand if you're out camping or hiking or outdoors a lot then it could prove a useful way to get "free" and not easily available power, likely enough to keep phones and other devices going on the fly, but don't expect to charge the bank quickly via sunlight. I will update the review should any issues come to light and with more information on the real world use of the power bank.

I'd like to see a small bag included to hold the accessories you get, even a simple one would be useful. In conclusion a nicely made solar power bank, that's worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Power Bank, 6 Aug 2014
I really like this power bank.

I was sent this item for review, I always point out the good and the bad.

The power bank arrived in nice packaging, and came with a key ring connection(really to attach to a backback not a key ring) and a power cable with different adapters.

Out of the box the unit was fully charged (indicated by 4 Blue Leds 25% 50%, 75% and 100%) and so I was able to use it straight away.

There is a power button on the power bank, a quick press shows the charge status, a long press switches the unit on for charging devices, in this case the LED's remain lit.

Checking the output, I was happy to find 5 Volts exactly on the output, and regulation was good.

I was able to charge my ASUS tablet from 12% to 100% and the powerbank still indicated that it was 50% full.

I also tested this with my Ipad, son's Hudl and my Windows phone, all charged with no issue.

I also tested the solar side of the unit and was surprised to find it charging happily on my car seat, I imagined I would need full sunlight.

Poweradd do suggest that the Solar panel only trickle charges the unit, so solar will take a long time.

That said I did not rely on the sun to charge the unit to capacity and opted for my home charger to charge it to full capacity.

The unit is almost pocket size 15 x 80 x 14.9 cm and weighs 231 grams.

What I think is really great is that the unit can sit by a window lapping up the sun and keep itself topped up.

I would not leave this in the car, to nice to have a thief steal it.

I think this is ideal for people who travel, holidays etc, don't take it to Glastonbury its not water proof.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 10 July 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The Apollo 7200mAh solar panel power bank is great for people like me who often go out without remembering to charge important gadgets such as tablet and/or mobile phone. Having had a few embarrassing moments in meetings whereby my iPad ran out of battery and I couldn't make a phone call, I always carry a power bank in my bag or pocket these days.for this purpose, this power bank is ideal.

In the pack you get:

* the power pack
* cable
* carabiner
* adapters to use depending on what device you want to charge
* instructions

The power bank can be easily charged up easily through the mains electricity, and it took me about 7 1/2 hours. Of course, it also has the solar panel. I think it's important to remember that the solar panel is not a miracle worker! We don't get that much uninterrupted sunshine and it does take quite some time for the power bank to charge through this route. I like the idea that when I'm out hiking I can clip it onto my backpack and it gathers some charge whilst I'm walking.

There are 4 LED lights which indicate how much charge is in the power bank. This is handy to know not only when you are using it, but also when charging it.

Overall, it is a really handy item. So long as you are not expecting the solar panel to work as quickly as the mains charging, it works really well and does a good job. I'm quite happy charging it using the mains and using the solar panel as an extra, fun method to top it up.

I was given this item to test and to honestly review.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts you in charge., 31 July 2014
Like this a lot, it is far better than previous power banks I have owned. It charges quickly from a mains adapter, holds it's charge well and will fully charge my power-hungry Experia in super quick time, with enough power to charge it from a fairly low point at least twice.

As for the solar panel, don't expect miracles - I have yet to work out how long it would take to charge the power pack purely from the sun, leaving it the dash of my car in full sun for days at a time makes little impression, but it is a useful feature nonetheless.

The Poweradd is pretty well made and comes with just about every conceivable adaptor. I was, however, a little disappointed to find it made from a fairly brittle plastic - I had expected something a little more 'rubberised' and I am not sure how well this would survive a fall onto concrete. I guess I should have looked more carefully at the description. One intended use was to hang the pack from a cycle pannier to keep my phone topped up while using 'My Tracks' - I am not sure if I would completely trust the hook for this.

That said, this is a good product that is great for charging devices on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power, Quality and Style, 10 Sep 2013
My review on YouTube:[...]

The good:
This battery has a lot of power, 16000mAh is enough to charge a Samsung Galaxy S4 at least 6 times! this is far more power than any other battery at the same price. The battery comes with 2 USB ports and 4 adapters to be used with different devices. It also has an inbuilt LED light which comes in very handy. The battery has a very strong build quality and very sturdy, the white and grey colour is also very stylish and pleasing to the eye.

The not so good:
There is not much to say other than the battery is quite bulky so is not the easiest product to fit in a pocket. It can easily be carried in a small bag or purse however. The battery also comes with 1 USB connector so if you want to charge the battery as well as charge another device this cannot be done unless you use an external USB connector.

The bottom line:
This battery is extremely powerful so you will not run of charge if you were on a camping holiday or away from mains supply for a few days. I would recommend this product to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dual power charger, 5 Aug 2014
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The PowerAdd Apollo is a high capacity (7,200mAh) power bank that can be charged conventionally via a micro USB connection or by using the power of the sun if you are away trekking miles distant from a plug. As I found with similar devices, you do need to make sure it is fully charged from the mains before you set off.

The power bank comes with an assortment of bits and pieces including a clip to attach it to a rucksack or coat, plus a range of adapters to suit many devices (although not an iPhone 5, so you’ll need to supply your own lead).

It’s made from tough plastic that should withstand the rigours of most outdoor activities although the USB and micro USB ports are exposed and thus it’ll need protection from damp weather (when it won’t charge anyway).

Whilst you can charge from the mains via the micro USB (and that is the fastest option by far) if you are about to go into the back of beyond, this power bank incorporates a solar battery that might give you a bit more charging capacity if you cannot get access to a plug. The reality is however that it takes an awful long time to charge via the light of the sun and, depending on the number of gadgets you need to charge, you may need more than one of these chargers to meet your needs. I managed to achieve two lit blue lights (between 25% and 50% charge) after a day in the sun but it struggled to put on weight on subsequent cloudy days.

Provided without charge for review purposes, this has 7,200mAh capacity and one 1A USB charging port. It isn’t the fastest charging power bank around but the fact it can be charged via the mains or its solar panel makes it pretty useful if you are away from power sources for a prolonged period; just keep your fingers crossed that the sun stays out long enough to replenish supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - already saved the day!, 18 Jun 2014
Mrs. Susan Hills "Sue With A View" (HOCKLEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A great pice of kit which already saved the day when we broke down in the car and the phones were almost dead! Charged both phones and allowed us to watch tv while waiting for the rescue vehicle!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Having previously had a Power Monkey the Poweradd Apollo is miles better. The unit itself is bigger than I expected ..., 3 Aug 2014
First impressions are that it is very well built. Having previously had a Power Monkey the Poweradd Apollo is miles better.

The unit itself is bigger than I expected and looks very snazzy with its orange trim.

A nice touch is that it has a split ring and carabina supplied so you can attach it to a belt for example whilst out.

The solar panel is a matt finish and not a glossy finish like the Power Monkey has. My unit also came fully charged and I was able to connect it to my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini using one of the tips which were supplied. It is a pity that a small canvas pouch wasn't supplied to keep the tips safely. I'm sure if people are like me than the tips may get lost over time.

The USB cable and tips have a nice feel with you connect them together and won't come apart unless pulled (something which used to happen a lot with my Power Monkey).

The only 2 connectors are on the top of the unit. They are a standard size USB port with which you can charge your device and the other connector is a mini USB which you can charge the Apollo with if there isn't enough sunlight.

The front of the unit has 4 blue LED's which show the battery status and also the on/off button.

All in all I am very impressed with this product and will happily recommend it to friends and family.