Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 October 2013
Upon my first listen I was not that impressed. Lots of 'clever' technological noodling with random sounds coming in & out for no particular reason.

I decided to stick with it and listen to it a few more times because I wasn't familiar with these musicians' work or the genres in which they work. It started to click together much more as a whole! The atmosphere of the album is spacious yet claustrophobic at the same time (not quite sure how that works, but it does!) and demands a full listen rather than picking out individual tracks. The first track however, Golden Arrow, is over 11 minutes long but doesn't outstay its welcome. I could happily have another 5 minutes of it, as it does take a bit too long to get going - but when it kicks in it's fantastic. In fact I think a few of the other tracks could have been extended/developed further so that the album is around an hour in length than 45mins.

The build up of sounds throughout the album help create the stage for the music itself, which makes for a fascinating listen. There is some low-end, chest-punching rhythmic bass (which I always love!) and some minimal but really effective blues-y guitar chords. The vocals are echoed and breathy and although fit with the context of the music, never really satisfy. but maybe that's the point!

So, an arty chin-stroking album that's far too clever for its own good, or an intriguing yet slightly unsettling body of work that reveals more & more upon each listen? For me, definitely the latter. I'm glad I stuck with it.
on 19 October 2013
Like a dance-inflected Pink Floyd for the 21st century. Beautiful hypnotic music for either background listening or focusing on. Strongly recommend
on 15 January 2014
criminal that his/her review has dragged the score down on this - as stated a slow burner but full of hooks and melody - probably worth 4 stars to be honest but seeing as the 1 star review (from somebody who has awarded scissor sisters 5 stars in another review!!) has dragged the average down i'm giving it 5. If you liked the A1 ep from a couple of years ago you'll like this.
on 30 April 2015
Definitely one of the best ambient/techno/genre defying albums I've ever heard.
on 14 January 2016
great album. I just think they are better live. well, they were.
sad....
on 27 January 2014
Hi,

This music is a modern mixture of Jarre/Dire Straits/Groove/Downtempo. Just great for the nice evening with friends at the table, before the party or just to listen alone.

The album could be longer, but in general it's great !

I can't wait the next cd from these guys.
on 20 April 2015
Music is awesome. But the product didn't come as it looked like in the picture. Rather it comes in a standard CD case, the track list is white text on black background and the album cover is a bit more grainy and colours are dulled down a bit. Also when I opened it the CD was put in backwards, reflective side up, so I thought it was one of those writable CDs, which then lead me to believe the product was counter fit. However, I'm pretty sure it's not.

If you're buying this for the music, get in son! If you're buying it (like I did) for the physical piece of a pretty cool project and to support the artist/label, then it may not be whats pictured.
on 28 September 2015