4.0 out of 5 stars The Fratellis continue their journey in style
5 years on from Here We Stand and their new album We Need Medicine sounds familiar. It's not their best work in my opinion, but it is a good album.

For the most part music taste is subjective but here's my break down...

Published 18 months ago by Evan

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved first couple of albums
Loved first couple of albums. Sadly disappointed by this effort. Almost like they were just going through contractual obligations. Oh well .........
Published 3 months ago by Tony the Turk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fratellis continue their journey in style, 7 Oct. 2013
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)

For the most part music taste is subjective but here's my break down...

On first listen, the album lacked that particular Fratellis rocking-happy-jump-around-yet-poignant sound and came across as rather formulaic and uninspired. I LOVED the band when I discovered them and LOVED Costello Music and Here We Stand with the later still on high rotation for me. Unfortunately with We Need Medicine it didn't work for me.

That was until I played it again.

Halloween Blues is a cool introduction to the album and one of the highlights of the album for me. This Old Ghost Town follows up with a similar tempo and both the first two songs come in with that certain style that fans of the Fratellis will be familiar with and love. She's Not Gone Yet But She's Leaving is a pretty good easy going track. Seven Nights Seven Days again is familiar ground. Shotgun Shoes sounds like a bit of album filler. Whisky Saga is reminiscent of early Fratellis and a great rocking track. This is Not the End of the World is a good piano heavy song. Jeannie Nitro is an unusual sound and one of the better songs on the album. The title track We Need Medicine is the anthem of the album and a great one at that. Rock N Roll Will Break Your Heart is much more slowly paced and interesting. Lastly, Until She Saves My Soul is a nice song to end the album on.

The album is growing on me the more I listen to it. Certainly it isn't Costello Music (a good thing given it's over 7 years old) nor is it Here We Stand. It's an album in it's own right, more an evolved sound and continuation of the bands last album with some fantastic rock-along tracks and real belters. A decent solid third album by this great band.

I was disappointed with the album on first listen but having gone back to Here We Stand and then immediately onto this album the flow is brilliant. Having listened through 10's of times now it's growing on me more and more.

Highly recommended if you dig The Fratellis or even if you don't!

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again!, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)
Thought their first 2 albums were brilliant. After a long silence without releasing anything I was worried they'd run out of ideas and the next one might be a disappointment.... but definitely not!! Same creative powerful catchy sound as ever :-D I think it's difficult for bands to keep up that kind of momentum and keep producing new consistently good stuff so congrats Fratellis on another brilliant release. Absolutely excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars the band evolves..successfully, 14 Jan. 2014
Great CD. Not Costello music, but good music and a bit more varied. Jon's voice very soulful and hopefully this will be followed by more music

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey It's the Fratellis, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)
They don't change, the write good melodic pop songs and they do it very well indeed. i always liek lsitening fo rthe interplay of melody and lyrics and these are here in abundance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked comeback, it grew on me, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
We Need Medicine! Is a really nice comeback album for the Fratellis, I felt that the lyrics were meaningful and the tunes were catchy.

Beats Here We Stand for me, but does lag behind Costello Music which was just fantastic. Ghost Town, Seven Nights Seven Days, We Need Medicine in particular are classic Fratellis songs, up-beat, catchy and memorable. Went to see the band live after hearing the album and they didn't dissappoint, would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fillers here just brilliant catchy tunes, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
I didn't think they would ever top 'Costello Music' but with this album I think they have, No fillers here just brilliant catchy tunes! Can't wait for next album now!

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved first couple of albums, 21 Jan. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to have them back!, 14 Oct. 2013
C. Davis "Carl" (Burton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
It's been four years since their last album, 'Here We Stand', so it's great to have the Fratellis back with an new album that is easily as good as their first two records.

There is definitely more of a country and blues influence on this album and some experimentation with different instruments - there is some pedal steel guitar on the final track, and several other tracks feature a brass section, one even has a saxophone solo that put me in mind of Wizzard!! Despite this, it's still a very recognisable 'Fratellis'-sounding record.

A lot of the songs sounded instantly familiar to me - whether this is because they've written great tunes, or have ripped off other great tunes, I'm not sure as I've only listened to it once, but it's definitely a great album, worth a tenner of anybody's gold!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
l love this band they pick me up when i am down cannot wait for the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
I love every song on this CD, yes it is no Costello Music, but it is just as brilliant! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

We Need Medicine [VINYL]
We Need Medicine [VINYL] by The Fratellis (Vinyl - 2013)