VINE VOICEon 9 September 2013
It is always an agonising wait for anything Murray Gold does in my opinion. Once that music has reached your heart and made scenes not just memorable but iconic, you are left hankering for the soundtrack to be released. In this case, for series 7, it has been the longest wait of all; over a year since the series began. Almost two if you count The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe, which has no soundtrack of its own and does not appear on this CD, despite its inclusion on the 7th series DVD.

Briefly touching on key tracks, this album is a mixture of uplifting, poignant, heartbreaking and ghostly melodies, some of which pick up on old themes (This Is Gallifrey/A Secret He Will Take To His Grave). The Ponds' departure in The Angels Take Manhattan is one of the most powerful moments of the series and so far in Moffat's reign. Together Or Not At All is a punch in the gut, with Goodbye Pond leaving you no time to recover. Clara's theme is at once playful and moving; perfectly capturing her wide-eyed innocence, courage and curiosity.

Trenzalore is something darker and heavier, a real sense of requiem and age as we delve into the past and conscience of the Doctor towards the end of the album/series.

God of Akhaten and The Long Song from The Rings of Akhaten may not be to everyone's taste given their choral nature, rather hymn like, featuring a child's (wonderful) voice, but I believe Gold has created something stirring and unforgettable. It reminds me of Journey's End's Song of Freedom (series 4 soundtrack).

I also recommend Cold War; it's chilling, and I couldn't get around that being a pun!

As a fan of Murray's work, I cannot fault his compositions as they always make me feel I am experiencing more emotion, with more nuances, than I knew I had, and these tunes stay with me. Happily on this occasion, much of the music included appears to sound much like it did when it caught my attention as the show aired, as previously tracks have occasionally been re-recorded or re-mastered and sound quite different, (Abigail's Song to name just one, which I always feel is a bit like false advertising as I bought that album for that song!), but here is just what you would want. If you fell in love with the music when you heard it, here it is, unblemished.

The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is I am very disappointed that after having waited so long, the music from the Christmas episode, The Snowmen, has not been included at all. I hope it is made available at some point at the very least (though as mentioned earlier, the previous Christmas episode music never has), though I am not happy at having to pay for another album over and above. Frustratingly, this talented, talented man has me over a barrel, because I can't help but buy anything he produces.

Oh just buy it.
on 9 September 2013
The soundtrack to Doctor Who Series 7 is here, and what a corker it is. Soundtrack label Silva Screen have once again released an exceptional album, and this ranks amounst the best, if not the best release to date of Murray Gold's material. There's 74 tracks on the album spread over nearly two and half hours so I won't go into every track. In fact, whilst I was listening to the album, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to think about it on a track by track basis. It's difficult to describe, but this album does take you on a journey (I hate that expression because it is horribly cliché) but it is true. All the themes and best music from the past few series are on the album, and there's the new material for Clara. There's music from all the episodes of Series 7 (apart from the Christmas special). Stylistically it is diverse, and ranges from quiet piano, to strings brass and choir. Almost every mood is encapsulated across the album.

There's some nice references to previous themes - "A Secret He Will Take To His Grave" (Track 33, CD2) contains a slow version of fan favourite "This is Gallifrey" from the soundtrack to Series 3. There's also references to the Cybermen theme, the Doctor's theme, the Ponds, Clara, the list goes on. The thing that I got from the album was how many themes there are - it's staggering, and the way Gold weaves them around across tracks is masterful.

The soundtrack is well mixed and sounds good to me - a previous reviewer commented that some tracks were too quiet. This is partly true - Goodbye Pond (Track 20, CD1) is one of my favourites on the album. It starts off with some quiet string writing, but in the second half once the brass kicks in the volume ramps up. This is an absolute corker and really is one of the highlights of the album. Trenzalore (Track 34 CD2) it did sound quiet to me, so turn the volume up a bit.

My only criticism of the album would be whilst there is a lot of material present, it doesn't always flow that well, and I think this is due to the sheer number of tracks and their variable running time. Fewer tracks in more of a suite form (similar to what they do for the Doctor Who Proms) would have been perfect, but this is only a small gripe. Some people may dislike the fact that there's no tracks from the Christmas special, but to counter that, sometimes they release the Christmas soundtracks independently of the others, and secondly, I don't think there would have been room to have added any more material unless they added a third CD. This might have made it too pricey to be viable.

The CDs come within a cardboard sleeve, which I am not a massive fan of, but that's just personal preference. On the upside, I think the album art is the best to date and on the inside there's a really good strip of the Doctor, Amy and the Daleks. There's also a great accompanying CD booklet that tells you what tracks are featured in each episode (and the album goes in chronological order for simplicity). There's a couple of pages written by Murray Gold about the soundtrack for those of you who are interested in these things. Again the artwork within this booklet is really nice.

Once again label Silva Screen have released a stunning product. Two CDs for close to the price of one is great value for money, and at a running time of close to two and half hours, they have filled the CDs to the brim. Whilst Murray Gold's music continues to divide people in the show, there is no running away from the fact that they are popular soundtracks. I think this release is stronger than last year's material. The inclusion of so many themes on the album shows what an amazing talent he is, and the scope of the vast musical tapestry he has created for the show. If you liked his previous releases, don't hesitate to get this soundtrack - sensational.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 September 2013
Brash, discordant, stirring, heart-wrenching, tear-jerking and as quirky as Doris Day 'sickly-sweet' rom-com saturated with painful truths and comic observation sums ups Murray Gold's original television soundtrack for DOCTOR WHO SERIES 7, and it's regally glorious, regaining lost ground that he'd abandoned in his previous two series' soundtracks.

And if this was his series' 'swan-song' it will prove that he has served the DOCTOR WHO brand with energy, dignity and pure creativity. "He who outlives this day and comes safe home shall stand a-tiptoe when this day is named". (Terrance Dicks, 1980)

Undoubtedly, Silva Screen's two-disc release of SERIES 7 OST is an aural armoured battalion (supported in the ranks by Ben Foster and the BBC Orchestra of Wales) that delivers an uncompromising salvo that resulting in an onslaught that for the unwary listener could be overwhelming, however he delivers a lyrical narrative that mirrors the on-screen action with a deftness of precision that cossets and reassures throughout, and as the soul & humanity of the series has changed for this 13-episode series so has Gold's modus operandi.

With this release, have we seen Gold's zenith in terms of orchestral constructivism, and we shouldn't be too disappointed if he departs for the more financially lucrative and creatively broader requirement of Hollywood's demanding motion picture landscape.

Eclectic, MAKE PEACE (Disc 1, track 12) is truly outstanding as it remains founded in the DOCTOR WHO branding but embraces a channeling of George Harrison (THE BEATLES), and an appreciative & effectionate plagiarism of feature film composers, Aldred Newman and Dimitri Tiomkin to deliver a rousing punctuation for A TOWN CALLED MERCY.

Past glories of the Time Lord are majestically heralded (and re-enforced by 'THE Doctor's Theme') in UP THE SHARD (Disc 1, track 36) whilst it is innocuously juxtaposed next to the theme music of Daytime TV camp frippery is delivered in BAH BAH BIKER (Disc 1, track 35). Both of which are tempered by the sweeping expanse of a choral and orchestral tsunami as the GOD OF AKHATEN (Disc 2, track 5) is calmed and placated by the innocence of sacred youth and obedience.

However, there are a number of tracks that are so delicate that there are marginally inaudible - even when listened to through a technically superior BOSE sound system - which I wonder that they could have been 'rebalanced' accordingly. See/hear GOODBYE POND (Disc 1, track 29) and TRENZALORE (Disc 2, track 34).

And, strangely, there is no incidental music from DOCTOR WHO - THE SNOWMEN.

Overall, Murray Gold's DOCTOR WHO SERIES 7 OST is an undisputed triumph of substance over style that had regrettably plagued his previous two scores for the series. Returning in fine fettle, he ensured that any of SERIES 7's mediocrity or storytelling whimsy, suffered at the writer's keyboard or the director's clapperboard, is negated through a skilfully executed creative and morally just music score.

Like a Devon Cream Tea of jam-laden scones & clotted cream accompanied by a freshly brewed pot of Earl Grey, sometimes life does not get any better and, with this release, here's the proof.

And if you're greedy there's another two exclusive tracks ('Glasgow' and 'Whisper Men') on the iTunes download.
on 10 September 2013
As we're in the 50th Anniversary year, I've splashed out and bought both the Silva Screen limited edition album and the standard album from Amazon. Quite simply, Murray Gold has done it again! His music is sublime and perfectly accentuates the television stories they appear in. The double album is well packed with pieces from all of Series 7 except for The Snowmen, which as others have said, is a little disappointing - maybe there will be a separate release as with A Christmas Carol. Personally, I was also disappointed that the new theme tune arrangement wasn't also included. Since receiving the soundtrack, I've also purchased the two bonus tracks available on iTunes.
on 11 October 2013
Particularly moving is Clara's theme (The Impossible Girl), a haunting melody which superbly captures the beauty of someone who is now my favourite all time character (and I never thought anyone could replace Sarah-Jane in my affections !) The music from The Rings of Akhaten is truly enchanting. This is my favourite episode from Series 7, and listening back to the music reminds me why it moved me so much.
on 5 November 2013
A lot of good tracks, and very inspiring. But as with the other soundtrack CDs like Series 1& 2, 4, 5, had the doctor who theme.
But the new theme music was not on there which spoiled it a bit.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
No Doctor Who soundtrack has surpassed Series 5 yet, but that's a tall order since Series 5 was just so incredibly fantastic. In a way Series 6 and Series 7 have clung on to its coattails - and that's no bad thing. I'll never be able to get enough of Matt Smith's Doctor theme, however many new takes on it Murray Gold gives us.

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. I don't think the sheer quantity of tracks on the album is necessarily a good thing. The Series 1-2 and 3 soundtracks suffered a bit due to a lack of or the amalgamation of tracks, but I think Series 7 has taken it to the other extreme. We get a lot of incidental music, most notably in the 'Dinosaurs On A Spaceship' episode. Additionally the pacing of the album seems quite inconsistent - one or two episodes get just a single track on the album while others (including the aforementioned and fairly dreadful Dinosaurs episode) get a whole wad. However I can't complain too much, because the music from some of the other episodes is so strong. I barely noticed the music in the cowboy episode, but I love it on its own, and one track in particular, "Make Peace", has a cyberpunk edginess to it (I got more cyberpunk hints later on in the album too). I've love to hear more of this kind of inventiveness. Murray isn't afraid to be different, radical even, and mostly it works very well.

My favourite track, hands down, is 'Together Or Not At All'. It's the stand-out piece on this album, and probably helped by the fact that no other track comes close to equalling it. Clara's theme is lovely, but perhaps a bit too delicate to really pack a punch.

Whereas the Series 5 soundtrack was dazzling, I'd call Series 7 (and 6) 'sound' more than anything else. The album is consistently good, but apart from 'Together Or Not At All' lacks moments of sheer brilliance. I also felt that the album went out with not a bang but a whimper; the last track, 'Remember Me', is enjoyable, but doesn't soar and simply tapers away. To be honest I would've been very happy with a remix of 'I Am the Doctor'!

Still, I think we can expect great things from Murray Gold with the series 8 soundtrack which, unless you've been living under rock, you'll know will be the beginning of Peter Capaldi's tenure. What with Murray come up with next? I'm eagerly waiting to find out.

P.S. If I can't boast about this on an Amazon review, where can I? I was lucky enough to be sitting on the row in front of Murray Gold at 2013's Doctor Who Prom, and he was gracious enough to sign my programme for me - right on the vast expanse of his photograph's forehead. One awesome dude.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are some fantastic tracks in this double album, too many to list. As usual Gold's music is very varied, though there are still a few of the less memorable tracks.

'Up the Shard', 'The Salvation of Kahler Jex', 'Together or Not At All - the Song of Amy and Rory', 'Goodbye Pond' and 'Some Wednesday' are particularly enjoyable, as is 'The Long Song'.

For those who may be wondering, the tracks 'Trenzalore', 'Infinite Potential' and part of 'My Husband's Home' make up the music that accompanied the Eleventh Doctor's regeneration in Time of the Doctor.
on 10 October 2013
I love the series music by Murray gold! The long song from rings of akhatan is lovely. And the music from the episode angels take Manhattan is another favorite
on 15 February 2014
Beautiful, beautiful music by Murray Gold. Was privileged to see the Doctor Who Prom last year where the main themes from Series 7 were played, so this was an must-purchase after that incredible experience. As a CD I think I prefer the Series 5 soundtrack which had longer tracks and seemed more selective in the tracks that were put in the CD, but this is still great and brings back wonderful memories.