5.0 out of 5 stars Really user friendly and helpful cookbook
I was just given this book as a gift and really like its tone - not at all stuffy or 'too cheffy'. There is a lovely array of recipes, lots suitable for a family.

Published 10 months ago by Sophie Kingsler

3.0 out of 5 stars good ideas but
The star system is a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes. I would give this book 5 stars for it great recipes but two for layout and technique. So I compromised at three. I love the recipe ideas. I really liked the idea of different pastry types such as the sour cream one and the cheesy. There are things that made me star the book down. I am not the worlds most...
Published 1 month ago by Margaret Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Really user friendly and helpful cookbook, 13 Sep 2013

Higgidy have made the art of making pastry seem really do-able and have a nice slant on familiar recipes (they suggest putting whole rashers of pancetta on top of a quiche lorraine for extra flavour!). There is a whole chapter called 'Party Pies' which looks good for meals when you have to prepare ahead for your guests; I've made the rosti-topped chicken and pancetta pie so far and it was really clear to follow and the timings were spot on - it was ideal for some friends coming over to dinner!

All in all - a really useful book. Really clear, lovely un-cluttered, un-complicated recipes and new ideas to inspire me in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., 16 Sep 2013
Being a fan of all things Higgidy i couldn't wait to get my hands on this book and I can't rave about it enough. Not being a terrific cook but aspiring to be better i enthusiastically dug into this book and created a masterpiece and that was only the 1st recipe - parmesan and pea parcels. It was thanks to the exciting but easy to follow recipes.There is a fantastic balance of some simple suppers to some wow numbers. This book threatens to turn a dubious cook into one with a new passion for cooking... watch out hubby!

5.0 out of 5 stars I made great pastry!, 7 Oct 2013
I made the White Chocolate Tarts at the weekend, they were delicious. I have to admit I don't normally make my own pastry, but I thought I'd give it a go, I found the recipe was very easy to follow and they turned out really well. I shall be making a lot more pastry to Camilla's instructions. Thanks Higgidy, a fantastic cookbook that will definitely have lots of buttery finger marks all over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pie Heaven, 24 Sep 2013
I've been a compulsive Higgidy Pie buyer for at least 6 years now, so when I heard that the Higgidy cook-book was out, I just had to have it. Being an amateur pastry maker, I am relieved that Camilla actually recommends buying filo and puff pastry. So far I've tried three recipes and all of them have been easy to follow,come out tasting delicious, and looking pretty much like the picture. The photography and food-styling is inspirational! Altogether it is a most attractive book, and I can't wait to try some more recipes - the salted pecan fudge pie is the next on the list.

Christmas is now sorted - all my brothers and sisters (5 in all) will be getting a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled!, 13 Sep 2013
I have had the Higgidy Cookbook on pre-order since I heard about it on the Higgidy Website and because I am such a Higgidy pie and quiche fan (always a stash in the freezer!). So now I have the cookbook I am really hoping to be able to produce some equally delicious food.

You might be like me and think there isn't space on the shop shelves for another cookbook but the Higgidy cookbook has absolutely proved me wrong. It is a real delight (just read the note from the author at the front of the book above on 'click to look inside'). There are many recipes in this book that I have never seen or heard of before and really can't wait to try. I don't call myself a competent cook but reading this has already given me the confidence that I am going to be able to produce some great food. To me, it seems traditional but with a very trendy touch. My friends are going to be seriously impressed! Actually I think I am going to impress myself!!

And if you don't like cooking but really enjoy reading cookbooks again I can thoroughly recommend this book. However, it is almost impossible to read any of the recipes without your mouth watering and wanting to have a go yourself!

Have fun with your book . . . I am now going to order a few more copies as I already know it is a fail-safe Christmas present (yikes did I just mention Christmas in September - so sorry!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pie O'licious, 20 Sep 2013
I have always loved the Higgidy quiches and pies so was super pleased when this cookbook arrived on my doorstop a couple of days ago. I was a bit nervous as find all things 'pastry' quite difficult but Camilla has made everything not only straightforward and easier than I expected but also the end result was delicious. I made the Salmon and watercress quiche with pink peppercorns and so so tasty. I feel quite proud of myself and cannot wait to try another! Thanks Higgidy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, 21 Sep 2013
Nice size book, recipes easy to follow. I tried the cheddar ploughman tartlets, came out great! The tips at the back for perfect pastry came in handy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best cookbook ever!, 20 Sep 2013
This has something for everyone - whether you like pies or not. The recipes are easy to follow and they work! There is one for almost any occasion and so far each one that I have tried is really delicious. There are recipes for things that I've always wanted to make but never quite known how to. It is also a pleasure to look at with beautiful photography. Would definitely recommend this as a present for anyone. And make sure you buy one for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped it would be!!!, 18 Sep 2013
Mrs (Haywards Heath, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been waiting for this book to be released ever since I saw the pre order on Amazon and I have not been disappointed now that I have it. I agree it is definitely not a Cook Book which is going to sit on the shelf and look pretty this is a book you can use all the time. I have already been very inspired from Camilla's recipes on the Higgidy Website (Caramel Brownies) and so I am really looking forward to making some dishes from the book. My husband has been very impressed as I am really not into cooking at all and he is hoping for some good creations. I would recommend this book to cooks of all levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars tempting tarts to send the tastebuds crazy..., 16 Sep 2013
the most amazing selection of mouthwatering recipes and something for all the family. I'm sooo excited about tea tonight - roasted beetroot galette followed by jumble berry tart - a veritable feast!!!
I would definitely recommend this cookbook - every kitchen should have one!!