5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook for life; with delicious recipes and inspiring in a number of ways
If looking for a brief summary review of Allegra's new book; in a nutshell I would highly recommend it based on its wonderfully straight forward and tasty recipes. The book contains 200 recipes from Allegra's life; they are the type of recipes you want to keep within the family and pass on for generations to come. It is visually very pleasing to cook from being rich in...
Published 13 months ago by Chris M

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple
This recipe book is far too basic, wish I hadn't bothered buying it. Might be more suitable for a student leaving home
Published 6 months ago by Pauline

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book, 3 Nov 2014
I LOVE this book. I really, really do. Thank you Allegra for wonderful, never fail, tasty recipes. I know I am gushing (apologies) but Allegra has totally changed the way I cook for the better! I have a major girl crush on her as result. haha. My 3 favourite cookbooks for family cooking are: 1) Big Table Busy Kitchen by Allegra 2) LEON Book 1 only (this is the one by Allegra, the others really aren't up to much) and, believe it or not, 3) Gwyneth Paltrow's Notes From My Kitchen Table. They are all such genuine, from the heart cook books and have super tasty and healthy recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all., 27 Nov 2013
I can't rate this one highly enough. I really wish I had this when i was younger but am now happy that I can pass it down to my girls. My mother also died when I was a teenager and I still have her recipe book, it isn't very full but it is a treasured possession,and lovely to have her written hand so close. i get this book totally, it s a fab read bedside too. I cant recommend this enough, buy for all for Christmas. Every household should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giving that personal touch to cooking, 19 Nov 2013
From the very first few pages, Allegra draws you in to her wonderful world of cooking. It's a culinary hug, which not only comforts but gives you the confidence to get into the kitchen and have a crack at her tried, tested and trusted recipes for yourself. Not only are the recipes clearly explained, the backstories to each are fascinating and there are plenty of hints and tips along the way. I'd recommend it as a fantastic present for anyone, but just make sure you order at least two as you'll want to keep one for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright culinary legacy..., 18 Nov 2013
I read Allegra's story in the newspaper, which talks of the inspiration for this book (it tugs hard on the heart strings) and was compelled to buy a copy.

At first, seeing that I didn't really fit in with any of the 'stages of life' she describes and which give the book its structure, I initially thought its appeal would be limited but.....encountering Allegra's ballsy and wonderfully entertaining text (in and surrounding the recipes) changed all that. Her quick wit and refreshing manner meant it was a cover to cover read and each recipe drew me in further. I'm going to ignore the stages of life and discover the dishes simmering within.

5.0 out of 5 stars family heirloom, 16 Nov 2013
Allegra always has an interesting slant to her cookbooks and this one is no exception. It's a lovely idea that is a lesson for us all - Mums and daughters, Dads and sons too! The recipes are really accessible, they work and are fun and delicious. A beautiful addition to every kitchen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Big Table, Busy Kitchen: 200 Recipes for Life (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - doesn't work on Kindle layout though, 28 May 2014
This is a great book (one of several Allegra McEvedy books I've got. In hindsight I would buy it as a paper book as the format doesn't work on my Kindle.

Very similar in style to the Leon books (which I love).

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and beautiful!, 27 April 2014
Really like this book, it's honest home cooking at it's best.
The aubergine curry is fab, serve as a main meal. veggie style or as a side with chicken.
Lots of good recipes for all occassions and tastes....a book to be kept in the kitchen as you'll use it alot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 April 2014
Straight forward, easy to follow recipes and an interesting book to read and enjoy. Ms Mcevedy describes the ingredients, techniques and results very clearly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Allegra, love this book, 23 Mar 2014
Here, as ever, Allegra's love of life, passion and enthusiasm is completely contagious, and humanity and warmth ooze from every page. She speaks to you like a good friend, offers up a great set of recipes for all occasions, and explains them with her usual clear-but-casual style. Great book, Allegra - your mam would be proud.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›